Thread: Any recommendations? Ready to come back to the USA

Board Newbie

Any recommendations? Ready to come back to the USA

Hi everyone, don't post here very often but I am currently working overseas doing security. I am tired of traveling and would like to return to the US for some stability...
    ...and track days. My son is getting older and I'd like to start building his MX track (I have 70 acres out east) so we can start riding together.

Looking for some ideas, quick background on myself:
    5 years USMC Infantry
    1 year Subaru & Volkswagen tech
    4 years oil & gas / geotechnical industry
    1 year self-employed (I bought a restaurant, rehab'd it and sold)
    1 year Private Security

Almost complete with my degree in Cyber Security.

Besides the brief stints as a mechanic and being self-employed, I've never really had a "normal" job, the drilling and fracking always took me around the country weekly and I currently spend 120 days overseas with 35 days off.

Thanks!

Re: Any recommendations? Ready to come back to the USA

As far as the oil industry jobs go, the new governor Jared Polis is about to sign an oil and gas bill that pretty much destroys the industry so wouldn’t recommend coming to Colorado for to that, however many IT companies setting headquarters and also opening tons of offices here in Colorado so since you’ll have your cyber security degree wouldn’t be a bad idea to look into some companies here (maybe webroot in Broomfield?) my friend just got hired on there a few months ago and he’s very happy and while he’s more on the support side but I’m sure companies like that are always looking for security personnel.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Board Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    As far as the oil industry jobs go, the new governor Jared Polis is about to sign an oil and gas bill that pretty much destroys the industry so wouldn’t recommend coming to Colorado for to that, however many IT companies setting headquarters and also opening tons of offices here in Colorado so since you’ll have your cyber security degree wouldn’t be a bad idea to look into some companies here (maybe webroot in Broomfield?) my friend just got hired on there a few months ago and he’s very happy and while he’s more on the support side but I’m sure companies like that are always looking for security personnel.
    Thank you for the reply, I have heard about the oil industry taking a dive in Colorado and definitely don't want to get back into it.
    I know most of the skills to be a front-end web developer as well, i.e Java, HTML, CSS, basic python and currently learning more to hopefully be able to do full stack.

Also, I have a Secret security clearance if that makes a difference (as far as character background goes..).

Those type of things definitely will help you but yeah there’s tons of IT recruitment here currently so it’d be worth looking around. Good luck man, hope you find something fitting!
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Quote Originally Posted by jenzos View Post
    Thank you for the reply, I have heard about the oil industry taking a dive in Colorado and definitely don't want to get back into it.
    I know most of the skills to be a front-end web developer as well, i.e Java, HTML, CSS, basic python and currently learning more to hopefully be able to do full stack.

Also, I have a Secret security clearance if that makes a difference (as far as character background goes..).
    If your clearance is current, get on here and start reaching out to recruiters...

https://www.clearancejobs.com/

If you're looking for IT work, CO's a great place with the number of defense contractors located between C. Springs and Ft. Collins. But, you'll definitely want to finish your degree and show some practical experience because the market is competitive.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Welcome and best of luck to you, in your search for a Dev. gig! I'll keep my ears peeled for anything that you might want to know about; unfortunately my company's entire Dev. team is in Australia.
    Most of the suburban counties in Colorado offer excellent workforce center resources too. They can help you with finding jobs, training, and even provide financial resources. ADWorks! for example is the joint organization for Arapahoe and Douglas counties, where I live. My guess is they'll have pages of jobs that relate to your background.

Also just for the record (and a bit of clarity) the ever increasing strangle-hold that the O&G Industry has within Colorado isn't going anywhere, any time soon. Unfortunately.

Colorado looks a lot like Texas circa 30+ years ago with... um.... "creative" zoning policies, enormously deep pockets, and of course vested (and vesting) political interests. The bill that Gov. Polis signed last week did little more than inject a bit of balance into the Colorado Oil & Gas Conservation Commission. You can read deep into the weeds about it here, but like the author from the Sterling Journal-Advocate writes: "The new law changes the mission of the Colorado Oil and Gas Conservation Commission from an advocate for the industry to a body that puts health and safety first." IMHO, it's about time we start putting the brakes on them a little. Unless you're the type that likes a little cancer in your water, or a 37% higher chance that your home may spontaneously explode.
    Last edited by ~Barn~; Thu Apr 25th, 2019 at 04:23 PM.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Board Newbie

Awesome thank you guys.

I'd also be interested in doing trade work as well if anyone has any contractor friends that need help.

big emphasis on cyber security in most defense contracting activities these days. finish that degree, get your cissp and along with the clearance (even just secret) and you are a shoe-in for ng, lm, ball, amazon cs, etc.

we are always looking for cyber, but the high demand keeps them in short supply. many defense contractors will even pay for the cissp

2000 tillis plus stuff with some polished stuff and some carbon fiber stuff and a little bit of tlr stuff and some gsxr stuff

Quote Originally Posted by kevplus2 View Post
    we are always looking for cyber, but the ......
    Who is "we"?

Senior Member Moderator

I work for CML Security out of Broomfield. We're not a private security firm, instead we're a contractor specializing in the Detention industry i.e. building prisons and jails. We employ everything from welders, locksmiths, electronics technicians, programmers, network engineers, etc. It's a niche industry, but we've been growing like crazy. You may be required to travel, but they've always taken great care of me when they needed me to. If you want to learn more about it, send me a PM, or you can check out cmlsecurity.com

Quote Originally Posted by Drano View Post
    I work for CML Security out of Broomfield. We're not a private security firm, instead we're a contractor specializing in the Detention industry i.e. building prisons and jails. We employ everything from welders, locksmiths, electronics technicians, programmers, network engineers, etc. It's a niche industry, but we've been growing like crazy. You may be required to travel, but they've always taken great care of me when they needed me to. If you want to learn more about it, send me a PM, or you can check out cmlsecurity.com
    Cool, I sent that URL to a welder friend of mine who is also looking.