Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
Toprak won't get a factory seat in GP as he wants honestly and comparing tech specs from WSBK to MotoGP, they're night and day. They interviewed Iker Lecuona since he stepped down from GP and onto HRC to take Bautistas seat and he explained how much adjustment you need since you're technically in a beefed up street bike unlike GP that is all prototype plus power/weight/electronic differences are huge. Can't expect to have Rae or any of the other top riders come to GP and automatically contend, even their best times are still off about 5+ seconds from GP times and that in racing is a huge gap as we all know. Even Toprak said that after test riding the M1, that he simply can't ride it with his style, so that alone right there tells you that he won't be committed to a GP switch any time soon or ever for that matter, I see him retiring in WSBK same as Rae. The M1 isn't known for braking power and Toprak is one of if not the heaviest and late braking riders in the sport, even his current bike he rides over the limit on the brakes, you see that poor front end just groaning and twisting for its life. He would have the same issue that Dovi is having adjusting to the Yamaha as he also relies on heavy and late trail braking to get the most out of corner speeds by standing up quicker and getting on the gas earlier. If Bautista stays upright and just podiums for the rest of the season, he has it in the bag. Toprak and Rae are riding a little too on the limit this season and that makes them more prone to mistakes and crashes, Bautista has had a great and consistent season but pushed a little too much on race 1 at Donington Park this past weekend and that Ducati front end wasn't having it, Ducati has always struggled there anyways so he should have just settled for whatever points he could have salvaged but instead he DNF's and the point gap now is way down so it's anyone's championship at the moment. The level of WSBK is definitely very good, even some of the satellite teams are getting in the mix. BMW switched from a Suter swing arm to a Kalex a new swing arm and they made a huge step at Donington Park for sure and are in the mix, even Axel Bassani is threatning Rinaldi's Ducati factory seat given he's had great results all of last season and this season as well with a satellite bike/team. I foresee a lot of riders from GP/Moto2 stepping into WSBK this upcoming year, Dovi being one of them and may even see Danilo Petrucci in there too, don't see him hanging around MotoAmerica.
I had read somewhere that Petrucci is looking to move to WSBK. He lost the points lead here in MotoAmerica and I can see him doing a Loris Baz. As soon as he's offered a WSBK seat, they loose interest in MotoAmerica and start to prepare for WSBK.

I kind of think Dovi should hang it up. He's almost too big of a name to come over to WSBK and not have a factory bike. Can't see him riding around on privateer bikes, even if it does have factory support. Dovi contended for the MotoGP championship, he should be happy with his achievements and enjoy the rest that is yet to come in life. I can see why Baz, Lecuona and even Petrucci want to make it in WSBK. They are young enough and not the caliber of Dovi.

That being said, you look at it and Max Biaggi moved over after years of retirement and won. And that's as big of a name as you can get, other than Rossi. But again, Biaggi did it with a factory bike and team. Everyone is spoken for in WSBK in terms of factory rides. Which is not to say that ex-GP guys don't do well. Melandri had some success, Hayden kind of did. Spies did, but went reverse and came from WSBK to MotoGP.

So there is something to be said for the caliber of rider in WSBK vs. MotoGP. I think they are fairly equal and matched well in terms of talent. What separates them are the bikes. And you're right, when you've got a difference of 4 to 5 seconds per lap, that's an eternity in racing terms. That's close to getting lapped in a 30 lap race.

Now maybe a few years ago, WSBK was getting close to MotoGP in terms of innovation and speed. I think Sykes was the last champion before they started to impose cost limits and restrictions on what parts can be run on WSBK bikes. I remember back when Sykes won, his front forks were rumored to be around $200k+!! and that was the same for other parts as well. WSBK bikes at the time(circa 2013 and prior) were starting to run away with costs and materials.

What I think would really help out WSBK is getting their TV rights in line with MotoGP, so CNBC can show them. Sucks that I have to see highlights on YouTube but that's the way it is. I'm not paying for their subscription package, considering their stupid schedule. They start super early(usually in February) then take a month and a half off, have a few races in the springs and summer, and then take a month off again until late summer. I'm not paying for that sh*t, at least with MotoGP you get 19 races and even Formula 1 you get 23 races. But I can get all the practices, quali and races on ESPN. That's what I think has done WSBK in and has been their problem for years now. They lost the accessibility for their fans. Used to never miss a WSBK race on the old Speedvision channel.

That's what needs to come back, the old Speedvision. All racing, all the time. No stupid reality racing and mechanic shows, just straight up racing all the time. Formula 1, MotoGP, WSBK, the old AMA, World Rally, SCCA club racing, Le Mans racing, all motocross, NHRA drag racing etc. Even had cool whos like Card and Driver, Motor Week, Auto Week and etc. And then, like everything else in life, the powers that be.. f**ked it up with reality shows and trying to be edgy and cool. I'm all for informative mechanic shows that actually show you how to work on something. Or show you some interesting techniques for working on all sorts of motorcraft. I tune in to learn something, not follow whatever flavor of the month inbred is running their stuff all out and showing all the nonsense in between.

And you know what really started all the BS? Pinks! I hated that show! Speedvision was awesome in the mid to late 90's. Then they changed to Speed Channel and started running these dumbass reality shows and Pinks was one of the primary ones. That's when I knew it was all over. The NASCAR stuff started showing up more and more, which eventually pushed out the smaller stuff. Formula 1 and MotoGP could compete because of their world level rating. But smaller racing was shelved in favor NASCAR. And don't get me wrong, NASCAR is fine but keep it where it always has been and that's on your local networks so everyone can watch it. Speedvision was for everything else not NASCAR.

I don't know, just felt like ranting a bit. Maybe I'm just getting old.....