Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The ZX12R is toast...

The ZX12R is toast...

Stopped in traffic on the highway in Kittredge, and I was about 6ft. behind an Explorer. A Dodge Ram PU didn't notice we were all stopped and locked em up, too late. The 12 was sandwiched, I was launched straight up, came down on the bike, the guys front tire was like 6" from my face. I'm unhurt. You know the ins co is gonna total this poor thing. It's wheelbase is now 2.3" shorter than it was.
    Joe
    MRA #59

now with bi-turbo goodness Site Admin Mel's Avatar
    Oh man, OUCH!! Glad you are unhurt
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Re: The ZX12R is toast...

wow. that sucks. good to hear you made it out ok. what are you gonna get next?
    Cleveland

Only here for the free Wi-Fi Site Admin Spiderman's Avatar
    Dayumm! Glad you're okay, though!!!
    Bob <------ Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
         - 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec (Cafe Racer)
         - 2004 Yamaha R6 (racebike)
         - 2006 Yamaha R1 (racebike)
    R.I.P. 502
    ~ Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleveland";p="253582
    what are you gonna get next?
    I won't spend ins money that I don't have yet, but another 12 would be fine with me. Although, I sat on every liter bike at the IM Show (and the new R6 looks really good under me, too), and I wouldn't mind having something that's 100lbs lighter.
    Joe
    MRA #59

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar
    Poor 12! Glad to hear your OK Joe!
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

YIKES! Glad to see you are ok!

Sorry to hear it, glad you came out ok!
    I am always worried about that, and usually pull to one side or the other and watch the mirrors closely.

Damn....that sucks.
    Now lemme have your tires....
    Just kiddin bro. Glad you came out alright. I too am always worried about that happening.

EX-MRA #719

- 502 - RIP Gene, you will always be an inspiration.

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstien

Quote Originally Posted by User Error!";p="253588
    I am always worried about that, and usually pull to one side or the other and watch the mirrors closely.
    Usually, when I pull up to stopped traffic, I try to keep about one car length back from the car in front of me. This looks kinda wierd, and I've had people honk at me like, "Pull up!", but the reason is an old biker thing about just in case you get banged from behind you won't get sandwiched (maybe). If I had done that this time, maybe the front end wouldn't have got smashed (forks are bent, maybe the wheel, maybe the whole frame). Too many what-if's. You can't see it from this pic, but every piece of green plastic is broken.
    Joe
    MRA #59

glad to hear you're okay
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Never fear............Joe broke out the Triumph and we went ridin' anyway!!
    (Joe and I have, errr, HAD twin 12's)

Shizer! Glad you’re OK Joe!

Quote Originally Posted by Connman";p="253596
    Never fear............Joe broke out the Triumph and we went ridin' anyway!!
    Gotta get back on that horse and ride. Proof that I have balls of steel:
    Joe
    MRA #59

Maybe next time you should get a more visible color... like maybe bright green. Oh wait a second. never mind.

My neighbor is looking to sell his ZX-12R. It has like 8,xxx miles on it. 2000 i think. Totally stock. PM if you'd like me to find more info. Not sure what he's asking. I know it's a red one.

Glad you came through it OK. You might feel it tomorrow tho-Ask me how I know. If I can help any way let me know.I have some current market surveys on 02 ZX-12r's if you need.

Nat

2006 ZX-14 RED Sold
    2008 ZX-14 Midnight Sapphire Blue Metallic (Almost black)

Exposed Member Lifetime Supporter Bashed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Connman";p="253596
    Gotta get back on that horse and ride. Proof that I have balls of steel:
    From my experience that crease in your tank is from your frame being bent,not your balls.You would not of walked away from the accident.Do not accept anything less than a new bike.
    Late Bash
    * Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

Bashed, it was a joke. That's not the gas tank (the gas tank is mostly under the seat), it's a plastic cover. It was broken when the seat was shoved into it.
    And I think I should get a new helmet out of this too, am I right? My Arai doesn't show a scratch, but do I have an argument for the "sustained a possible impact/can't be trusted" ploy?
    Joe
    MRA #59

Man, that sucks. Nothing you could do even if you had seen it coming. Same thing happenend to me and my roommate on our R6s on two separate occasions. Glad to hear you're okay, physically, I know mentally it's like you lost a close friend. Everybody else, remember that crap like this happens and watch your back! Keep riding Green.
    Yes you should get a new helmet out of the deal, make sure it's included in your claim.

that really sucks joe!! i've been rear ended a couple times myself (and front ended once, too). dont let them talk you into anything less than a new bike. even though you felt ok yesterday, go to the doctor for a complete check up (including xrays) and make sure they reimburse you for that too. personally i'd get a lawyer. when that jackass backed into me in 2004 it made me realize the vast majority of insurance companies are out to screw us. i'll never NOT get a lawyer again after an accident.

on the bright side though, this will give you the perfect chance to get that Bemmer i know you really want :P
    Jeff Black
    Littleton, CO

Currently bikeless, but will be BMW shopping again come springtime.

Glad to hear you did not get crushed. Being rearended is one of the hardest things to guard against. Glad you are ok.
    "For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing....What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?"

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar
    Damn Joe... Glad you're not a sportwaffle!

Goodluck with it all, and I hope you get everything replaced (and everything that's coming to you) ASAP.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

The ZX12R meets the Compactor

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Too many of these "cagers" are living in another world and distracted by any number of things (kids, shaving, cds, eye-liner, etc.).

-hope it all works out-
    'bago henry

-aside-
    sometimes they don't see school buses (i.e. big, yellow boxes) either
    "its boxy, its fast..."

iba#14410 -- 1kss, bbg, 50cc, 2kss, 3kss and b2b_insanity completed -- it has been 4 years.
    UPDATE bbg_insanity will run somewhere btwn APR-JUN 09