Thread: Washing air filters

Account Deactivated at users request metalnicx's Avatar

Washing air filters

I have 2 air filters in both my bikes. The first bike 2000 SV650, has a K&N air filter. I have the K&N cleaning solution, but can I use common household degresser or dish soap to wash this also. My second bike is a 2005 CRF250 which uses a Foam air filter. Can I just use kerosine or gasoline to wash this one off? Thanks!

Re: Washing air filters

the following are the instructions for Amsoil's poly-foam filters PowerSport 2 stage filter.

Filter cleaning:

1) Carefully remove the air filter being cautious not to knock any dust or dirt into the carburetor opening. Clean any dirt from the opening with a clean shop towel.

2) Clean filter in a solution of warm water and mild detergent. Do not use strong solvents, gasoline, or other fuels to clean the filter.

3) After washing, thoroughly rinse the filter with clean water and allow it to air dry. Note: Do not use high-pressure shop air or heat to dry the filter. After the filter is completely dry it can be re-oiled for further use.

Applying filter oil:

For best performance, use a generous amount of filter oil and work it into foam media. Squeeze out excess oil, leaving a uniformly oiled filter.

A properly oiled filter will feel oily or tacky to the touch on both the outer and inner surfaces, but should not be dripping filter oil.

When reinstalling the filter use a thin film of Multi-Purpose Grease on the foam base to insure a leak free seal between the filter and the housing.

-petroleum products usually damage foams; mileage may vary-
    'bago Henry
    "its boxy, its fast..."

iba#14410 -- 1kss, bbg, 50cc, 2kss, 3kss and b2b_insanity completed -- it has been 4 years.
    UPDATE bbg_insanity will run somewhere btwn APR-JUN 09

Re: Washing air filters

Use the K&N cleaner and oil for the street bike filter. You can use dish soap on the dirt filter but the spray on foam filter cleaners do a better job.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

i cleaned my truck's drop in K&N in the shower... worked pretty good, preasure wasn't to hard for it. you don't get a mess everywhere with the solution and oil's.