Thread: "Legend o' Shift Drum Removal w/out splitting the case'

"Legend o' Shift Drum Removal w/out splitting the case'

So I haven't been too active, apologize for that, but this site has been handy in helping rebuilding my '97 YZFR as I get better and better at wasting it... BUT, thats the usuall story if anyone rembers my last blog.

So here is the deal. I hate splitting the case on this '96 motor because it is older and stupid, so I have to remove the head just to get to the transmission completely split (one bolt, WTF!!!), and it just sucks to do that. Also, YZFs have a habit of blowing out 2nd gear almost every year once you've jacked it up the first time (..ok..and ragging on the bike does it too)...so any easy fix would be great, besides of 'course not ragging on the bike.... So here's the idea..

I was once told you could remove the shift drum somehow by wiggling it and knocking the shift forks around after you remove the pins that hold them in. This is either a great big mechanic secret or impossible as no one has ever given me a solid answer, but just thought I'd see if anyone ever heard of that before (yes, besides from me) I haven't yanked the bike apart yet, but I have most everything I can to immitate a pro shift kit, but I haven't ever found one for a '96+ zyf... everything is newer...
    ...any thoughts on that would be kick arse

- thanks CSC folk-
    ...'97 660 YZFrankenstien bike....

Re: "Legend o' Shift Drum Removal w/out splitting the c

I know you can remove them from GSXR's via the clutch cover. Well after you remove all the clutch basket goodies that is. May give Bart at TK a call and ask him if you can.

Lurch
    MRA #retired

You may be able to get the drum out that way, but putting it back together might be nearly impossible. On some bikes, you can pull the the shift fork shafts and extract the forks from the bottom without splitting the cases, then remove the shift drum. That still doesn't solve the problems of replacing 2nd gear (and the gear that engages the side of it to lock it to the output shaft, usually 5th), which almost certainly requires splitting of the cases. If the bike has been kicking out of second gear into neutral, both gears will need to be replaced as the shift dogs are already rounded, and the fork for the slider needs a long look too, to see if it is bent or burned.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

I replaced the gears forks, shift rod, last spring but not the drum(thought it looked ok), The bike was a bit flakey in 2nd gear pretty quickly after that so I'm pretty sure the drum is a big part of the problem. Even if the gears are bad, I'd at least like to try an easier route if I can to start, if I have to split the case after, no big deal. Thanks though-
    Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGuys";p="254112
    but putting it back together might be nearly impossible. .
    ...I had a fiero so I'm used to irritating tasks with motors... I'm up for a challenge-
    ...'97 660 YZFrankenstien bike....