Thread: Anyone have a 6mm impact socket ??

AKA "Devaclis"

Anyone have a 6mm impact socket ??

That thing is on there solid. I broke 2 T handle allen wrenches so far and have gotten nowhere.

Thanks,
    Dev
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Re: Anyone have a 6mm impact socket ??

I have some that attach to a rachet that might do the trick also you may need to heat them slightly with a torch because they use lock tight on them.

2006 SC50 Moped
    2005 Suzuki GSXR 750
    2005 Yamaha R1
    2004 Yamaha R6
    1998 Triumph Speed Triple
    1997 Honda F3
    1994 Honda F2

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar
    Use a dremel and slot the heads of the bolts. Using a hammer, tap a screwdriver against the slot (remember, lefty-loosey). Works like a charm.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

I have a 20 inch long breaker bar that might do the trick
    call me if you need

now with bi-turbo goodness Site Admin Mel's Avatar
    When do you need it by? Call Richard (he is not home) I am not sure if he has his impacts with him or left them at the shop...but he probably has one here.

Best thing you can do for yourself: run don't walk to Home Depot and get an electric impact wrench. They're amazing -- does front sprocket nuts, brake disc bolts, rear axles, etc without breaking a sweat. Here's the one I have; a bargain at twice the price...
    Last edited by pg_rider; Thu Oct 4th, 2007 at 04:18 PM.
    Paul G.
    2005 R1

AKA "Devaclis"
    I have an impact wrench, I just don't have the sockets for allen heads. I will try heating them. I have already tryied tapping them after putting liquid wrench on them. I let you know. Thanks for the ideas guys!!
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

AKA "Devaclis"
    Sweet Cheeks!! The heat did the trick Thanks for the help on this one!!!!

Dana

Make sure you use blue loctite when you put them back on don't want that shit coming loose on the highway.

2006 SC50 Moped
    2005 Suzuki GSXR 750
    2005 Yamaha R1
    2004 Yamaha R6
    1998 Triumph Speed Triple
    1997 Honda F3
    1994 Honda F2

AKA "Devaclis"
    Thanks for the advice. I have 3 different locktites and I really am not sure which one to use where.

The colors tell you what strength they are. Blue is considered "medium", red is "high". I think green is the other one and is "light", though you rarely see it since it's basically useless on a bike.

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Those colors are for Lock-Tite brand though, Honda's thread lock uses different color-strength combos, and I know I've run into purple also.

AKA "Devaclis"
    The stuff on my threads was white

Board Newbie

use the blue, should also clean both sets of thread for proper torque and less chance of damaging the threads. I also would not recommend using impact anything while removing bolts from anything aluminum, you can very easily damage the threads. But thats just my observation.

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe";p="255219
    The colors tell you what strength they are. Blue is considered "medium", red is "high".
    Or as I like to say, blue means tight, red means "fuck the next guy"! :P
    Paul G.
    2005 R1

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe";p="255219
    The colors tell you what strength they are. Blue is considered "medium", red is "high". I think green is the other one and is "light", though you rarely see it since it's basically useless on a bike.
    I don't know what brand it was but, the thread locker they used on my boat is green and it take about 500 ft. lbs. of torque to remove it. Blue is usually the medium strength regardless of brand.
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean";p="255258
    I don't know what brand it was but, the thread locker they used on my boat is green and it take about 500 ft. lbs. of torque to remove it. Blue is usually the medium strength regardless of brand.
    Wonder if it's some sort of marine-specific thing? *shrug*

Green locktite is usually very thin and is put on after tightening as it is supposed to wick into the fastener.

DIRECTLY FROM LOCTITE CORP:

The purpose of threadlockers is to lock and sometimes seal threaded components without changing fastener characteristics or altering torque-tension relationships. In addition, chemical fasteners offer a number of other advantages over mechanical tightening methods:

Breakloose and prevailing torque. Liquid threadlockers find their way into tiny imperfections of threads. As they cure, these imperfections serve as molds for thousands of tiny keys that resist fastener movement in any dimension.
    Anti-corrosion. Because threadlockers fill the voids between threads, they block the entry of moisture, preventing corrosion and subsequent seizure.
    Strength control. Most threadlockers are graded by their various strengths and characteristics into distinct classifications. The different formulations of Loctite threadlockers, for instance, are distinguished by the color of the threadlocking material: low-strength is purple, removable is blue, permanent is red, and the penetrating formula is green.
    One size fits all. Because they are liquids, threadlockers do not come in different sizes. The same bottle that locks in a tiny screw also can be used on a large bolt. Stocks of various size mechanical threadlockers are no longer necessary.
    Selecting the right threadlocker There are several key factors to consider when choosing a threadlocking compound:

Shear strength. If all threaded fasteners were designed never to be removed, then only one type of threadlocking compound would be necessary—the strongest available. Most assemblies that are held together with threaded fasteners will, with varying frequency, need to be dismantled for repairs, maintenance, or adjustments. Consequently, threadlockers of various shear strengths are available.
    Cure speed. The cure speed of threadlockers can vary, depending on several factors, including temperature, base metal, surface treatments, clearance between parts, and surface cleanliness. The use of chemical primers can speed cure and result in higher ultimate strength.
    Gap filling requirements. Most threaded fasteners are designed with some clearance between their mating surfaces. Larger clearances between mating surfaces require more product to fill them. Thixotropic liquid threadlockers will easily fill clearances in threaded fasteners, without migrating to other areas of the assembly. Where a higher shear strength product is required, and product migration is considered a potential problem, a higher viscosity compound is recommended.
    Operating environment. Both chemical resistance and operating temperature should be considered when selecting a liquid threadlocker.
    The chemical resistance properties of threadlocking compounds vary between different grades. The most popular anaerobic products will generally resist water, natural or synthetic lubricating oils, fuels, organic solvents, and refrigerants.

Like most organic materials, threadlockers lose strength at elevated temperatures. Most show significant strength retention at temperatures up to 300 F (150 C). Hot-strength formulations can increase this working temperature to 450 F (230 C) for those applications where it is considered necessary.

Removability
    The most common myth about liquid threadlockers is that once they are cured, they cannot be removed. In fact, all threadlocked fasteners can be removed. Different grades of threadlocker can be used depending on the task. Fasteners secured with low- and medium-strength grades can be removed with common hand tools. Those secured with high-strength grades can be removed by applying heat for a specified time.
    2006 ZX-14 RED Sold
    2008 ZX-14 Midnight Sapphire Blue Metallic (Almost black)

Loctite has a number of retail grade thread lockers available with different properties. The most common are #290-green-wicking-low to medium strength.Applied after assembly. 242-Blue-medium strength-anaerobic cure. 271-red-high strength. Not recommended for fasteners smaller than 5mm, or for assemblies that require frequent disassembly. May require heat or special tools to remove. 640-green-extra high strength. Used to retain threaded studs permanently and for installation of press fit sleeves. Requires extreme heat and/or special tools for disassembly.222-purple-low strength. Used for assemblies where frequent adjustments may be needed. 272-red-high strength. Similar to 271, but for use in temperatures up to 450F.
    More information here
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Whatever color you use, don’t use thread lock on any kind of plastic parts b/c it will melt the plastic. Learned that the expensive way.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

the purpose of the green loctite is similar to antiseize lube. a steel bolt in an aluminum or magnesium hole will oxidize the aluminum or magnesium. The green loctite seals out water and provides a light locking feture.