Thread: IMI Track Riding!

IMI Track Riding!

I wanted to share with you my thoughts about being on a track for the first time! First I was real slow, learning the curves. Then I begun to go faster and faster shaving off my time overall. This track is out in ERIE. It is a very small track. I ride a ZX10R, and I never came out of first gear!! So needless to say the track is very tight.
    Ok, so my knees and forearms hurt pretty bad from riding this track. I have never done it and I have to say I LOVE IT! OMG, it really made me have an atire new look on sportbikes. MILE HIGH MADNESS is taking a step on the road track.... I am not the only one that has made this coversion on to road track. I just wish I have tried riding on a track years ago instead of just doing wheelies. I still love doing wheelies of course. Most of all the reason I am posting this is because, I HAVE THE FEVER FOR TRACK RIDING!
    For all of those in this club that kept telling me, ANT. You really need to try track riding because you will never want to go back. Most of it, you guys are right! I still ride on the roads, but I am now officially selling my STUNT bike and buying me a track bike! I will have some pictures from this link: www.milehighmadness.net/mhmgallery If your intrested in looking into it. Man the bottom line is I totally love track riding! If anyone has a used pair of Leathers that will fit a 220 pound 6 foot guy. I would be so interested in buying these. I don't have that type of gear. I am so into this now. Man do I have the fever for track riding!
    My personal site: www.myspace.com/eaheer

They told you
    You must be fast, 'cuz I was haulin' ass when I passed you.

Wade
    '01 TL1000S

Another version for TL is "sounds like Thunder - fast like Lightning"
    Imagine it was said by a Hardley rider!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nissn1 View Post
    theres no soul in R1's only r-soles

Re: IMI Track Riding!

I have a couple sets of leathers I am going to sell , Let me know if you want to check them out .

Welcome to the addiction.
    '01 SV 650 S
    '08 Gary Fisher mtn. bike
    '69 Austin Healey Sprite
    '92 GTI

I too have a set of leathers. They're band new and are Yamaha Racing. I don't know what ya ride, though.
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

now with bi-turbo goodness Site Admin Mel's Avatar
    First thing you are gonna wanna do is figure out what size leathers you wear, I think it is mostly based off chest size, and you want them to be tight (they will seem kinda uncomfortable when you are not on the bike in them). If you get a suit that is to big, it will leave road rash type burns on your skin when you crash (just from the leathers shifting and what not). If you plan to race, get a decent suit, not just something cheap (I bought a $200 ebay Joe Rocket suit which held up well for track days, but I would not go racing with it). Check out what people on here as well as the MRA board have for sale (used) or get ahold of Joe at Rebellion because he helped me out a ton (joe@rebellionmotorsports.com).
    I would also recomend a GOOD pair of race boots...again, basic street/canyon carving/track day boots can result in broken bones on the track (this I know from personal experience).
    Back protector is also a necessary thing (~$50 new from Performance, or talk to Ralph on here who deals in Komodo stuff).
    A good pair of gauntlet sytle gloves will save your ass if you go down.
    Helmet should be a no brainer.
    When you start looking into race bike, check out the MRA boards, there are typically a dozen plus race rady bikes on there, or again get hold of Joe at Rebellion because he has found me more than a few good deals.
    Good luck! Racing is an addiction, and (sadly) far more expensive then stunting.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Ok here is the link to our track day pictures: Click Here! You can also check out all our photos by going to this link: www.milehighmadness.net/mhmgallery book mark it because we are always updating.
    For all of those people that have some used leathers. I am so down to buying them.... I am a 34 waist 34 length in regular pants. XL in the upper torso. I will go down to performance and try on a couple pairs of leathers to see what really fits me. Thank you all so much for all of the advice. I will look into everything you all said!

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar
    Told ya so...
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Hey eaheer,

If you are looking for a bigger track to let that ZX-10R loose on, come down to PMI. Its 2.25 miles has a nice long 4000ft straight on it. I had my Busa on it twice this year, I managed to stay in 2nd and 3rd gears for the corner sections, and was in 4th close to redline in the straight.

I'll be taking the Gixxer down this spring to see how it will do. About as powerful and 100lbs lighter too.

I would recommend checking out Dennis Kirk or Motorcycle Accesory Warehouse.
    www.denniskirk.com
    www.mawonline.com

They have great deals on suits. I would recommend going new with your suit. Invest in a suit that is good though. Doesn't have to be the most expensive suit, but one that will hold up at a track pace. Teknic, AGV, Alpinestars, Joe Rocket and Dainese all make great suits for track riding. I'd recommend one with a speed hump on the back. Added protection plus those suits are usually the better made ones from the companies, more geared towards racing. The added bonus from this is you can wear your suit in the canyons for great protection as well.

As for boots go with SIDI Vertebra or Corsa's

Anyways hoped this helped a little. See you at the track sometime...
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight";p="255227
    Hey eaheer,

If you are looking for a bigger track to let that ZX-10R loose on, come down to PMI. Its 2.25 miles has a nice long 4000ft straight on it. I had my Busa on it twice this year, I managed to stay in 2nd and 3rd gears for the corner sections, and was in 4th close to redline in the straight.

I'll be taking the Gixxer down this spring to see how it will do. About as powerful and 100lbs lighter too.

I would recommend checking out Dennis Kirk or Motorcycle Accesory Warehouse.
    www.denniskirk.com
    www.mawonline.com

They have great deals on suits. I would recommend going new with your suit. Invest in a suit that is good though. Doesn't have to be the most expensive suit, but one that will hold up at a track pace. Teknic, AGV, Alpinestars, Joe Rocket and Dainese all make great suits for track riding. I'd recommend one with a speed hump on the back. Added protection plus those suits are usually the better made ones from the companies, more geared towards racing. The added bonus from this is you can wear your suit in the canyons for great protection as well.

As for boots go with SIDI Vertebra or Corsa's

Anyways hoped this helped a little. See you at the track sometime...
    I would LOVE to go to a bigger track. Mark my words you will see me soon on every track. When I want something I go for it with all I have!!!! I think I finally found something that really excites me the most about riding! Good gawd I am still sore in the legs LAUGHING OUT LOUDLY! I will go to any track! This summer I am planning a VEGAS trip, but we are going to take like thirty members with us. Haul our bikes. Going to stop at every track that allows us to ride our sportbikes on. Scheduling some tracks now for Utah and Vegas. Look out MILE HIGH MADNESS is on a rampage for safe and exciting track riding! Man I just love it, and I am doing all the research about everything. Why didn't I check this shyt out a long time ago. I love going to the races. Dam I think I love doing it even more! What an addiction I have!

Congrats and wlelcome to the track. I was the same as you. Started wheelies and such many years ago. First track day was at IMI also. Once I got my knee down I was also hooked. Got some gear and then went to SCR. Then on to racing. Wheelies are more of a goofing off thing now. I rarley even bother. Got a clean record now and I guess its just not worth the risk

1st gear ?? Eeeeek Havent ridden a ZX10 but I would think despite the RPM's it would be better to do all of IMI in 2nd. (At least on the R1 thats what seems to work....) Anyway, ongrats on the new addiction to spend money on

Check out Newenough.com for gear as well.... From time to time they have superdeals on gear. Parts411 also has good deals from time to time.

haha Just wait till U get that ZX10 on PMI and get to stretch its legs a bit....
    R6-Forum's June 2010 Ride of the Month!

Sig. Courtesy of GIJoe007

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:
    Rief Resources Media/Rebellion Motorsports /
    Lockhart Phillips / Factory Backing / GoPro Camera

Glad you had a great time on the track!

Please consider joining us in April for the 3rd Annual Racing 2 Save Lives event at the brand new Miller Motorsports Park track. (April 13 - 16, 2006)

www.racing2savelives.org

We are planning an incredible event, and will have some first rate track riding instruction available for those who would like to learn more.

In addition, we will have AMA superstars Eric and Ben Bostrom, as well as a number of other pro riders there to add to the excitement.

This track is amazing - most likely to be one of the best in the nation! Come on out and be a part of history with us!
    shacheri

"Ok, so what's the speed of dark?" ~Steve Wright

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Glad to hear you had a great time at IMI. I certainly did my first (and only....so far) track day. Even more glad to hear you've outgrown that stupid stunting shit, which has absolutely no relevance to street riding, unlike the track, which teaches you better bike control.

I stayed in second the whole time on my 1K, and in some of the really tight stuff should have downshifted, but I was just concentrating on lines.

Were you sliding it around at all? How's your tires? I touched my boot tips down on some of the lefts, but didn't quite touch the pegs.

Have fun, and be safe!
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

I don't have any leathers to do the race to save lives thing. Plus what I read was $500.00 a bit out of my league at the moment. I am suppose to go down to Pueblo soon to stretch the zx10rs legs so to speak LOL.. I can't wait for that. I have not dragged my knees at IMI yet. I guess that would be because I don't have any leathers yet! Hate to drag that in a pair of jeans!
    I am not going to ever say stunting is stupid. It is what I learned first. I still love it. But man O man, I think the track is where my love is heading for. I mean I just can't get it out of my mind. I am going to try and buy a 600cc track bike. I think sometimes when I come out of my turns, that I get on the throttle to fast, and from what other racers and riders were saying to me. That could get me in deep trouble. No I have not slid the bike around yet. According to the same advice I got. They say I am currently doing what is called, (and forgive me if I am incorrect here) Front riding! Either way I have just touched the surface! I talked to one of the managers at IMI, going to try and plan a track day for clubs only! We seem to have a lot of Canyon, and track riders in MILE HIGH MADNESS club now days. Been weeding out the stunters. Seems to be better people that respect for their bikes. We have become a family of an average of 70 members now. I would say male and female, we have 45 members that want to get into the track pretty heavy. We still have a couple stunters in the club. Ok as for me! I do both. I am going to totally focus on track! I have done pretty much everything but circle wheelies in the stunting field. Now that I got that out of my system. I am going to totally do the track!
    I want to personally thank ALL of you for your advice and resources. I am looking into everything you all mention to me. I just love it! Like I meantioned before. If your interested in checking out my performance. You can go to: www.milehighmadness.net/mhmgallery Then click on the track riding photo gallery.