Thread: Fixing gears in a ZX6R?

Fixing gears in a ZX6R?

Let's say I need to replace gears (plural) on a transmission on a '97 ZX-6R, from someone having broken the teeth off 2nd (and probably damaged others as well in the process)...

Since I figure I can get the parts cheap enough, and wouldn't mind learning how to fix a bike tranny, I'm thinking this isn't such a bad deal and can get a sweet price on the bike provided I fix it myself. However, will I need to split the case to get to this stuff, or is it lower-end work only? (I.e. will I be completely dismantling this engine or just a part of it?) Having never split a case before I'm a bit nervous about getting it all back together right if that's necessary.

Yes, I'm looking at this for a track bike. The engine is already race tuned for the street, so it wouldn't need much more to be running at full potential. Beyong that just the usual race prep for a bike (cheap plastics, hours of safety wiring, other stuff as I get time and money, not a biggie since I won't even attempt to race until next year anyway) is needed so if I can fix the gears myself safely I'll probably get the bike.

Has anyone worked on one of these that can comment? I somehow sense the labor involved with this will be more tedious than technically difficult...

Its me again. About 10 years ago my clutch basket let go on my 900 Ninja(yes, the original Ninja). It took out numerous gears in the bottom end.I ended up buying a new bottom end from the D.U.M.P. I ended up just swapping my top end on to my new (used) bottom end and i knocked it out in a day with no air tools.I havent dug into a ZX6 but i have rebuilt a few manual transmissions before, and i regeared the t case in my toyota. They arent too bad, especially if you have a manual on them.Good luck.

Mike

P.S. Yes i would have had to split the case on my 900.My CRX trans also came apart like that and it wasnt too bad(broken synchro)