Thread: Recommendation - Winter commute jacket ???

Board Newbie

Recommendation - Winter commute jacket ???

I am a new rider and would like to hear what brand and model of jacket would be good for early morning (5:00 am) cold weather riding. I'm planning on commuting to work on dry road days. Also a recommendation of pants and gloves also would be appreciated. Thanks!

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Re: Recommendation - Winter commute jacket ???

I own and wear an Aerostich during my commute and think it is the best type of set up made for this. Mind you my commute is 40 miles each way, so some mornings it's really cold. Check them out at

www.aerostich.com

For really cold mornings I also wear a warm and safe heated liner that I got from

www.velocity-research.com

This set up is not cheap, and I did a lot of research before deciding to go this way. All I can say is that after I compared it to the other available options I decided it was worth the extra money.

Others I looked and and the reasons I didn't choose them:

1. Fieldsheer Highland suit: Can be found for about $250 on e-bay. This one didn't make the cut becuase a friend of mine has one and says it's not as waterproof as he thinks it should be. Leaks by the stiching after 10 or so miles in the rain.

2. Alpinestars drystar 360. Can be had new for about $350. I looked at one in person and decided the zippers looked positvely wimpy. Looking at the Aerostich as comparison there really was none.

I found an aerostich on their closeout page and paid about $600 for it shipped. I've now ridden over 4000 miles in it in various conditions and haven't regretted my decision.

Scott

I take my bike to work about 90% of the time, and I get off at 6am so I know its cold, supposed to be 12 tomorrow when I get off, but as long as you have layers you will be fine.

The best $14.95 I ever spent was on this:
    HJC Cool Max Balaclava
    http://www.helmetharbor.com/streetcl...erheadgear.htm

Really does make the world of difference.

I also wear 3 or 4 layers under my jacket. I wear a leather Joe Rocket jacket, not sure of the model.

I wear these pants over my normal work pants:
    Firstgear HT Overpants
    http://www.helmetharbor.com/estore/p...HT%20Overpants
    2000 Honda RC51

Gloves
    Jacket
    Pants
    I have Joe Rocket Dry-Tech boots but these look to be about the same.
    Boots
    And get a neck wrap of some kind, and fog proof shields are nice.

Below 30 deg. watch out for that cold pavement/tires it'll set you on your ass quick.

Get a heated vest

How hard is it to hook up a heated vest or grips?

I am looking at the tour master carbon cold front gloves - are they pretty warm?
    "When you have insomnia, you are never really asleep...and you are never really awake."

Red & Black 2002 CBR600F4i

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Hooking up a heated vest is easy. The best set up has some kind of rheostat that allows you to adjust the amount of heat the vest will make. In my system there is a pigtail that attaches to the battery and has a plug that I've poked out of one of the vents on the bike. I just plug my heat controller into the plug and then use a second plug on the controller to plug my jacket into. Everything but the pigtail comes off of the bike by just unplugging it.

My set is a heated jacket, so there are plugs at the end of the arms for gloves to plug in to. I'm not sure of a clean way to get power to the gloves with just a vest or only gloves.

If you are up north you are more than welcome to come by and check mine out.

S

AKA "Devaclis"

I wear snowmobile gloves in the winter. Honestly, my Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket and a sweatshirt are all I need when it is cold out. I also wear a ski mask and snowboard pants when it gets really cold.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

This provides excellent warmth, protection, and the chicks dig it. Comes in black only.

MSF-RiderCoach,TOTAL CONTROL Advanced Riding Clinic-Level 1/Level 2 Instructor

Ricky Orlando Motorcycle School,
    Rider Workshop-USA

Suspension Academy Graduate 1 + 1 = 3
    Writer, 2008 MRA Season Program-Feature Article, "The Colorado Sportbike Club"
    *Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Member: AMA
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

if you have the $$$ go with an aerostitch suit and gerbing heated gear. if not, a good witter heated vest and a road gear jacket/pants will work well. definately go with textile though with a decent liner; leather doesnt insulate for shite.
    Jeff Black
    Littleton, CO

Currently bikeless, but will be BMW shopping again come springtime.

Firstgear Kilimanjaro jackets have kept me warm/cool/safe for 5 years now in temps from -15F to 115F.
    Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.

Would you recommend wiring a separate circuit for heated grips or just tapping into an existing - as the instructions recommend? They say spice into the headlight, tail light or istrument light circuit.

Anyone ever use Firstgear HT overpants? These look nice with a removable liner. These would be for cool weather riding only - not as a primary pant.
    "When you have insomnia, you are never really asleep...and you are never really awake."

Quote Originally Posted by HDave
    Would you recommend wiring a separate circuit for heated grips or just tapping into an existing - as the instructions recommend? They say spice into the headlight, tail light or istrument light circuit.

Anyone ever use Firstgear HT overpants? These look nice with a removable liner. These would be for cool weather riding only - not as a primary pant.
    I would totally run a separate circuit. No need to lose a fuse you might need later.

Haven't used the overpants, but if they fit well I'd buy them. Firstgear has never let me down, but ill-fitting pants have. Few things are worse than catching rain (or melted snow) in the crotch of your jeans...
    Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.

[quote=Dysco]I would totally run a separate circuit. No need to lose a fuse you might need later. quote]

Ok, so how does a guy run a separate circuit?