Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear Tires: 180 vs 190

Rear Tires: 180 vs 190

So I'm starting to look at tires. Pilot Powers to be specific. I have a set of 208's right now, but looking for something a little sticky(er). I have an '01 GSXR 1000 and the current rear tire is 190. I was talking to a guy at Performance Cycle and he was showing me that the 180's allow for more lean angle than the 190's (not using tire terms here so I hope I'm getting my message thru). My question is will my bike not be able to handle the lean angles of the 180's (i.e. too much power for those angles)? Am I better off sticking with the 190's? You can definately see the difference between the two on the shelf. I was just curious if any other litre bikes out there have 180's and how they like'em.

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar
    180's will be fine, and you will turn in quicker using them.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar
    He Liquid... How much is performance selling the 180 for? I'm curious.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Why don't you try 190/55? I don't think that size is available in the Pilot Powers, but a few companies make it. I had it in the Maxxis SuperMaxx and liked it better than the 190/50.
    You must be fast, 'cuz I was haulin' ass when I passed you.

Wade
    '01 TL1000S

Another version for TL is "sounds like Thunder - fast like Lightning"
    Imagine it was said by a Hardley rider!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nissn1 View Post
    theres no soul in R1's only r-soles

Incidentally I still have a set of Pilot Powers (180 rear) left over from last year. They are slightly used, but still have 90-95% of their life left in them. First $150 cash money takes 'em, and I can deliver to Breck, or you come get from south Denver.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Would you consider $130
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

I have an R1 street bike and I had 190/50 stock and went to a 180/55 Michelin.... Depending on riding style..Im not sure Id say to do it. R U riding track or street....? If U can go 190/55 Id say go that route. If not Id still stay 190/50.. Thats lots of power going down to the street...Id want as much rubber on the ground as possilble... I realize there will be some folks that will throw a fit at the contact patch of a 180 vs a 190 but so far I have not had good evidence of a 180 having a larger patch than a 190.... Going 190/55 will bring back that height and larger contact patch and have the best of both worlds.....
    Just my .02
    R6-Forum's June 2010 Ride of the Month!

Sig. Courtesy of GIJoe007

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:
    Rief Resources Media/Rebellion Motorsports /
    Lockhart Phillips / Factory Backing / GoPro Camera

Edit: Tires sold!

i have an 01 gixxer 1k and have run both 180s and 190s and i like the 180s. for a couple reason, they do drop into the turns quicker and they are on average about $30 cheaper per rear, it adds up over time. i run 180s and will continue to.
    Firefighters find them hot, leave them wet

Re: Rear Tires: 180 vs 190

Take it from someone with who has burned up a few rear tires in his life. Like the peeps said above you will turn in quicker on a 180 but if you like to get out of the corners quicker use a 190. I have used both sizes on one race weekend and they both have various good and bad points. If you get a sitcker/better tire then you have now goe with the 180. A 01 GSXR1000 doesn't have the power to really spin up a good 180 unless you just wack the thing open then a 190 prolly won't save the highside either.

Lurch
    MRA #retired

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~";p="261429
    He Liquid... How much is performance selling the 180 for? I'm curious.
    I don't remember. This was a while back. I want to say around $230, but that would have been last year.

Thanks for all your input(s). I'll probably go the 180 route for a change. I figure if I don't like'em I can live with them for the next 4,000 miles (if they last that long).

try the metzeler M3 and lemme know what you think of it!
    Firefighters find them hot, leave them wet

FYI...

I don't know how concerned you are with bike set up but changing tire brands can change your set up quite a bit. I have seen tires that are close to 1/2" difference in diameter.

Also forgot to mention that a 180=less mass which equals more RWHP. I lost close to 5 rwhp running a 16.5" forged mag wheel with tire.

Lurch
    MRA #retired

Quote Originally Posted by -=LiQuiD=-";p="261500
    Thanks for all your input(s). I'll probably go the 180 route for a change. I figure if I don't like'em I can live with them for the next 4,000 miles (if they last that long).
    The 180 Pilot Power that I have on my bike right now, just went "cords" on me this past week. Now I've triple checked my math and if you can believe it.... this SOB has gone 5871 miles. And it hasn't been pantywaste cruising either. I'm thinkin' mostly canyon strafes, and atleast 1 CSC track day, where both me and Bazyl, were lapping Second Creek.

I don't get it? Are supersport DOTs supposed to do this? Fivethousand-eightseventyone, and a track day?

Are you kidding me?

I may never buy another brand of tire again.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

I race a 190/60 Dunlop rear and felt a HUGE change over the 180/55 dunlop rear.

FWIW the pros like Disalvo, Spies etc are only racing 190's on 600's.

Jason
    Jason Leleck
    MRA #399

Faster Motosports, XBAM!, Unink, Printworks, Leo Vince Exhaust, Gaerne Boots, Bridgestone, Chickenhawk Racing, Ferodo Brakes, Woodcraft-CFM

Board Newbie

I really hate to put a damper on the trying to sell the used Pilot Power but I picked mine up brand new for $124.99 so I think you are asking a bit much for yours. I personally love the Pilot Powers and was torn between those and the Qualifiers from Dunlop...maybe I'll try the Qualifiers next time.
    '04 AHRSIX

[strike:2ea9505b46]
    '01 R6 Champion's Edition
    '98 R6 Red/Gunmetal
    [/strike:2ea9505b46]

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch";p="261494
    A 01 GSXR1000 doesn't have the power to really spin up a good 180 unless you just wack the thing open then a 190 prolly won't save the highside either.

Lurch
    Not at this (Denver) altitude anyway. I can't believe how slow my bike feels up here. I just came from sea level and crimminy....I need a new bike, exhaust, or something.

FYI- You can get a front and rear for that price. Check out http://www.compacc.com/category.cfm?Category=1252

I'd stay with the 190. Any advantage the 180 might be to you is likely only going to be in your head. Put a few superslab miles on a 180 and you're back to your 190 "slower" turn in.

I'm trying to get my posts up so I can put my tires in the for sale bin.

For anyone that's interested - 95%-98% (or better) Dunlop D218 Sportmax 190-50-17/120-70-17 off an R1. Still have the paint and mold nubbs. Not even scrubbed in $90 obo

I brought all my shoes and all my glasses so I would have them
    careful mecha...they don't like when you do that.

just post up and you might find this place addicting, then you can sell all the Shiz you want. just my advise
    ~Travis~
    It's okay...I'm a Doctor.
    Originally Posted by Keyser Soze
    Everybody on CSC knows everything
    2003 GSX-R600 - Former Love
    2003 Kawasaki ZX6R - Former Love
    1999 Suzuki TL1000R - Former Love
    2004 DRZ400E - New Dirty
    2002 KFX 650 - Quad

I brought all my shoes and all my glasses so I would have them
    by the way...that's a smoking deal on tires. nice find.
    ~Travis~
    It's okay...I'm a Doctor.
    Originally Posted by Keyser Soze
    Everybody on CSC knows everything
    2003 GSX-R600 - Former Love
    2003 Kawasaki ZX6R - Former Love
    1999 Suzuki TL1000R - Former Love
    2004 DRZ400E - New Dirty
    2002 KFX 650 - Quad

Here's another. They've got Dunlop 208 front and rear for $169.99.
    http://www.ridenowonline.com/

Owned by the pee-wee track Marauder's Avatar

Are you still hijacking a thread if it hasn't been posted to in over two weeks? I think I am ready for a new rear tire. Bought the bike with 1287...it has over 9K miles on it now. Not sure if they are the originals but it has a Bridgestone Battlax BT012R 190/50/R17 on it. I have heard about Dunlops but more about the Mich. Pilot Sport. Any recommendations on brands, models, and shops?
    2003 CBR 954RR
    2002 YZ250F

Marauder noun
    Etymology: French ma-raud-er
    1) one who roams about and raids in search of plunder
    2) one who seldomly goes to events, seldomly ever posts, but still thinks he is an important part of the CSC

Quote Originally Posted by Sparker";p="261504
    try the metzeler M3 and lemme know what you think of it!
    So I actually ended up going with the Metzeler M3's and I love'em. Did some research on them and ended up learning that the sides are a softer compound than the middle proposing longer tire life. Metzeler also claims they heat up quicker than the old M1's and last longer (up to 50% which is a little hard to believe). I took them to Bear Creek Canyon Saturday and they held up quite well for new tires (of course I really didn't push them due to being still fresh and all). If you're looking for new tires and want to try something new I'd go with the M3's. I'm happy with my decision.