Thread: Buying Tires online?

Buying Tires online?

so i stumbled onto Ron Ayers online and their tire prices seems to be cheaper than anyone locally. Is it a good idea to order from them or is there even better place online or should i stick to local?
    1998 CBR600F3 "Desert Storm" - SOLD

WAS keeping the banana seat alive!

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar
    Ron Ayers is a good shop. They come highly recommended by several people here on the CSC.

If their tire price (including the shipping), is beating anything you're seeing locally, then I say run with it.

So long as you don't mind the delay in getting them, of course.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Only here for the free Wi-Fi Site Admin Spiderman's Avatar
    Be forewarned - some shops will charge more to mount & balance tires that weren't bought through them. You may still end out ahead, but not by much.

I've never ordered tires online, but I have ordered from Ron Ayers before and give them a .

To the best of my knowledge, the cheapest place locally would be Performance Cycle, but they do not do any service, so you would have to have them mounted/balanced elsewhere. TK could do that for you, and they'd even be on the way home from Performance for you! Information for both of these vendors can be had by clicking on the image in my sig.
    Bob <------ Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
         - 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec (Cafe Racer)
         - 2004 Yamaha R6 (racebike)
         - 2006 Yamaha R1 (racebike)
    R.I.P. 502
    ~ Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end.

Re: Buying Tires online?

I would not let the tire mounting and balancing scare you. You can do all of that yourself (other then actualy putting on the tire, which should only cost you $10/per tire ... Talk to Dean Whittinger). If you need help getting the tires off let me know.
    Gene Bazyl
    MRA, ASMA #502
    AMA SS & FX #503

I got mine from here. http://www.imotorcyclestore.com/cgi-...ter.html?E+ims
    And twin peaks mounted and balanced it for $20. Got the tire shipped for $130. Metzler Sportec M-1 rear.
    Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

have purchased 3 sets through swmoto tires and haven't had a problem yet. tires were fresh and prices were great

2000 tillis plus stuff with some polished stuff and some carbon fiber stuff and a little bit of tlr stuff and some gsxr stuff

Give the guys at TFOG a call (near West Denver) I've been buying tires and gettting the mounting from them for years.

They have the best prices on Metzlers in town!
    2011 Ducati 848 Evo "Bautista"
    2002 Honda RC-51 "Big Boi"

"Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn!"

I have found tires on-line slightly cheaper than Performance Cycle, but by the time you pay for shipping, it would have been cheaper to just pay the tax and get them at Performance.

As for mounting and balancing, I can do that for ya. Like ebazyl said, for $10 a wheel. I have the same type tire machine and static balancer that TK, Faster, and Mark Schellinger (VanMar Racing) use.

If you already know how to use the machine, then you can do it yourself, no charge.
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

I only know how to use machines that take batteries

.. just kidding.. !!

Dean - I'm going to be hitting you up for your servies here soon ... I also need to do the pinstriping on my rims while you have my tires off...
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

Ive done a lot of looking around online and calling shops. Here is the comparison I got:

Michelin Pilot Power:
    Performance Cycle price: $145
    Lowest online price with shipping: $120 (+/-)
    TK motorsports charge for mount/balance: $30

I think you can find some good deals, especially if you are going for a more expensive tire.
    "Look, Maude, I'm sorry your step-mom's a nympho...ahhh, you got any Kahlua?" -The Dude

2003 Suzuki SV650S - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Sully";p="261739
    Dean - I'm going to be hitting you up for your servies here soon ... I also need to do the pinstriping on my rims while you have my tires off...
    I'll be more than happy to mount you... I mean, mount and balance your tires. I'm pretty sure you can do the pinstriping with the wheels on.
    Kim & Dean

Quote Originally Posted by NealJB";p="262008
    Michelin Pilot Power:
    Performance Cycle price: $145
    Lowest online price with shipping: $120 (+/-)
    TK motorsports charge for mount/balance: $30
    Last time I looked on-line, I was hunting Dunlop. Now, I'm on Michelin and that's a pretty damn good price!! What site did you find those on?
    Kim & Dean

Well Dean looks like I was sort of duped. The site I checked out didnt give you the FINAL shipping price until after you registered. Looks like with actual shipping the price would be more like $135. But since you dont pay tax, you might actual still save about $15.

Sites I found are:
    Southwest Moto Tires - on another forum, heard this place was good and had great customer service. Also, if you buy 2 or more tires, then shipping is FREE! Had some of the lowest prices I found too (Pilot Power for $122 plus shipping)

http://arizonamoto.com/Merchant2/mer...tore_Code=SWMT

Indy Superbikes - just found this place while browsing. Good selection and seemed to be a good all around company. Had the lowest price on the tire ($119 plus shipping). Just be careful - they say "N/A" on shipping until you register!

http://www.indysuperbike.com/custome....php?cat=22998

You do mounting and balancing? WOW! What side of town do you live on? If I could make it, Id give you $10 and a six pack in exchange for your "services" (you know what Im talking about ) HAHAHAHA
    "Look, Maude, I'm sorry your step-mom's a nympho...ahhh, you got any Kahlua?" -The Dude

OK here's another one! Ron Ayers has the best prices (Pilot Power $11 and only $10 shipping on all tires!!!

http://www.ronayers.com/catalogs/tir...ecid=1&type=43

DAMN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NealJB";p="262034
    You do mounting and balancing? WOW! What side of town do you live on? If I could make it, Id give you $10 and a six pack in exchange for your "services" (you know what Im talking about ) HAHAHAHA
    I'm in Aurora at Buckley and Hamden. I work at home, so I can pretty much meet anyone's schedule.
    Kim & Dean

Sweet - thanks! Im probably gonna be getting a tire in the next few weeks so I'll PM you. Gotta get the cash for the tire first so might be a while. Thanks for your generous offer!

Neal

Kneedraggers was the cheapest I found today. I was looking for Diablos - $250 for the pair shipped.
    "When you have insomnia, you are never really asleep...and you are never really awake."

Red & Black 2002 CBR600F4i

I don't know what you guys think of Affordable motorcycle tires & acc. on Jackson and 40th but I priced metzler m3's there for around $230 for the pair. I didn't get them because mounting was $30 a tire. Way to much for me.
    2001 CBR 600 F4i

"After all, all knowledge simply means self-knowledge."

http://www.swmototires.com/

prices are about as good as you find anymore (and almost always better). and shipping is FREE if you order a set of tires (which i know a lot of you do). if you have a hook up mounting (which i do), online is the way to go. i may go through 4 to 7 sets of tires a year (depends on the year) so i like to save $$$ where i can.

all are sets of 120/180's:
    M1s - $205.90 delivered
    PilotPs - $231.90 delivered
    208GPs - $306.90 delivered (soft or hard are the same $)
    diablos - $244.90 delivered

they're pretty good across the board if you can get em mounted cheap
    Jeff Black
    Littleton, CO

Currently bikeless, but will be BMW shopping again come springtime.

i have also used http://www.americanmototire.com/ a decent amount. every now and then i'll find a specific tire at a killer price here.
    Jeff Black
    Littleton, CO

Currently bikeless, but will be BMW shopping again come springtime.

what the heck ever happened to Discount Motorcycle Tires...

now with bi-turbo goodness Site Admin Mel's Avatar
    Ummmm, there was an article about it somewhere...the gist of it was that there was a falling out between the two owners, one went in and repossessed all the stock from the other one, and, well, the story went from there.
    I *believe* one of the two went on and started another similar company, I had his number around here somewhere....I will see what I can do to find it. When I purchased tires (3 weeks ago ish) I went through Performance Cycle after looking around at several options. From what I was able to find, they have very little mark up on tires down there, and pretty much can't be beat locally. Grand Prix also advertises that they do half price dunlops in the store, catch is you have to get them mounted there.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Quote Originally Posted by Beotch";p="273281
    When I purchased tires (3 weeks ago ish) I went through Performance Cycle after looking around at several options. From what I was able to find, they have very little mark up on tires down there, and pretty much can't be beat locally.
    agreed... I just picked up a set of BStone 014 from Performance... I call ahead, they hold them for me, great service, great prices... why on God's green earth did they do away with their service dept.?