Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats the Better Bike?

Whats the Better Bike?

So there is a few different bikes that I am looking at buying used. I can't decide between which of the 4 below I should strive to get.

So I want to hear from all of you what is better all around and more importantly WHY ???

2001 and newer Apilia RSV Mille
    2000 and newer Honda RC-51
    1999 Yamaha R1
    2002 and newer Suzuki GSX-R 750
    Kevin
    ---------
    '07 Yamaha R6

|-| MRA #28 |-| Proud & Active ABATE Member |-| MSF & MOST Rider Coach |-|

2012 Sponsors:
    |-| ABATE of Colorado |-| Souls Path Hypnosis |-| Talbot Communications |-| Material Grafx |-| Rebellion Motorsports |-| Sol Performance |-| Pirelli|-| Vickery Motorsports |-| Contour |-|

02 gsxr 750
    Knee2Ground Racing

Re: Whats the Better Bike?

Why though? is that whas you ride?
    Kevin
    ---------
    '07 Yamaha R6

2012 Sponsors:
    |-| ABATE of Colorado |-| Souls Path Hypnosis |-| Talbot Communications |-| Material Grafx |-| Rebellion Motorsports |-| Sol Performance |-| Pirelli|-| Vickery Motorsports |-| Contour |-|

2000 R1

Why? Cause I have one for sale :P
    http://cosportbikeclub.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21608

I think you'd be happy with any of the bikes above. It comes down to what's going to make you the happiest. What do you like the looks of more, what feels more comfortable when you sit on it, etc.

When I picked up my R1 2 1/2 years ago, I was also looking at getting an RC. In the end, I went with the bike that I thought looked the best and rode the best.
    Jon

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Finn,

There are good reasons to choose each of the bikes you've outlined. Here are my opinions:

Aprilia: Get this if you are looking for something a little unique.V-Twins produce good torque throughout the rev range making it a good streetbike, but it also offers a lot of performance parts for the money, especially the R or Factory versions with the Ohlins suspension. Good suspension counts for a lot on a bike. The RSV also comes with a stock slipper clutch , which is high dollar hardware on the other bikes. These bits are probably most noticable on the track. On the downside, it will be harder to find parts for and will likely require more maintenance than the other bikes listed.

RC51- If you go this way I would highly recommend getting one that is an 02 or newer as that was the introduction of the SP2 version. Better engine management, better geometry. I've ridden both versions of the bike and I have to say that the newer bike is a much better bike. There are easily available modifications, service intervals are 16K apart and it still offers a bit of uniqueness that is usually reserved for higher dollar bikes. 2002 on RC51 would be my first choice on your list for all of these reasons. Downsides, fuel economy leaves something to be desired, about 140 miles on a tank of gas. It's an awesome bike.

Of the remaining bikes I would take the GSXR over the R1, I've never been an R1 fan for some reason it just has never fit me well or appealed to me. It's a fine motorcycle, well developed and well built and if you feel good on it that is all that matters.

All of the bikes on your list are fine motorcycles and I think you would be happy with any of them as long as you feel good about the purchase and feel good on the bike.

Best to you

Quote Originally Posted by KFinn";p="263702
    So there is a few different bikes that I am looking at buying used. I can't decide between which of the 4 below I should strive to get.

So I want to hear from all of you what is better all around and more importantly WHY ???

1999 Yamaha R1

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar
    Get what turns you on. All of those choices are much better motorcycles, than any of us, will be riders. (professional racers aside).

If it gives you wood, and you like the way it rides, that's what important. G'luck with whatever you decide on.

If it were me, I'll be leaning toward the newest Gix750 I could find. I have my perfect streetbike, so it would be strictly for trackdays. But that's just me. (Not like we have any nearby tracks around anymore, anyway)
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by KFinn";p="263702

1999 Yamaha R1

I would have to say Mille, with RC being close second. I would have to say so on the R1 its still carbed in that year
    Gene Bazyl
    MRA, ASMA #502
    AMA SS & FX #503

1999 Yamaha R1

You bounce around from Inline 4s to Vtwins, definately figure out which you really want. Your "budget" might help identify what you want, as you state '02 or newer...does that mean '06 or '05 as the technology ever improves from year to year.

I do ride an RC, but as RYBO states if you want an RC get an '02 or newer(the '06 has the same motor as the '02...Honda just puts a new paint scheme out) it's not the fastest nor lightest bike, but you don't see alot of them around...almost a "cult" following on them. If you want you are more than welcome to take mine for a spin. Also, the V-twin sound is totally kick ass!!! with more tourque than you will know what to do with. If you like something more exotic the 'Mille is the hot ticket too.

1999 R1.... start looking at how many miles, etc...

Always alot of GXSRs for sale; which means parts are easy to get.

Bottom line get what you like..ride them all...find out how many miles, has it been stunted, crashed, maint records are always nice. Just something I do is look at the garge its in; I've always found that If you keep a clean well kept garage you take good care of your rides.

Have fun on your soon to be new ride!!!!
    2011 Ducati 848 Evo "Bautista"
    2002 Honda RC-51 "Big Boi"

"Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn!"

Thanks to all of you that have taken the time to put in the lengthy replies. I guess I will have just have to see what deals come along. Unfortunately my price range is a lot more limited than what I would prefer. But so far I think that I am going to try for one of the twins. Probably more so for the Aprilia.

I have ALWAYS really loved the looks of the R1's up until the recent year or two. But I would say that the Italian looks sharp as well. When reading some of the reviews, the track and street tests that the Aprilia is less aggressive riding position with a more comfortable seat. I think that having the advanced features such as the slipper clutch and the rarity of the bike around here would also make it more enjoyable.

My first struggle will be to sell both of my bikes to be able to handle a payment for the new beauty. I have always been intrigued by the V-Twins so i think that is also what draws me to one of the twins. However You all are right when you say... Riding them will be the only way to tell if I enjoy the feel of the bike as much as I like the tech specs and reviews.

Now its up to test riding them and getting the money together.

!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Again !!!!!!!!!
    Kevin
    ---------
    '07 Yamaha R6

2012 Sponsors:

I agree with the 2002 RC51.

Only here for the free Wi-Fi Site Admin Spiderman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KFinn";p="263781
    Unfortunately my price range is a lot more limited than what I would prefer.
    I'm sure I don't have to tell you, but get insurance quotes on all of the bikes you're interested in and factor that into the equation.
    Bob <------ Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
         - 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec (Cafe Racer)
         - 2004 Yamaha R6 (racebike)
         - 2006 Yamaha R1 (racebike)
    R.I.P. 502
    ~ Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman
    Quote Originally Posted by KFinn";p="263781
    Unfortunately my price range is a lot more limited than what I would prefer.
    I'm sure I don't have to tell you, but get insurance quotes on all of the bikes you're interested in and factor that into the equation.
    Yup, I have done so everytime I get on a new whim.... :-)

My name is Kevin, And I have an automotive addiction. I've had this problem since I can remember.... Its just anything that I can drive or ride... I get crazed and ...
    Kevin
    ---------
    '07 Yamaha R6

2012 Sponsors:

Well I wanted to thank you all for your input and time helping me with this decision. Special thanks to Airreed for letting me take his RC-51 out for a bit.

For those curious of my findings:

I am hooked on the Twin's. Their power delivery is very satisfying. I like knowing that I don't have to wrap the engine up before I get a substantial boost of speed. I like that I can get off the line and up to speed with out having to push the bike and with out having a lull while waiting for the RPM's to get up in the Power band. The one MAJOR thing that I do not like on the RC is the lack of a Fuel gauge. Yes it has a dummy light but I firmly believe that in this day and age all bikes should have a gauge.

I still will be looking for RC's and RSV's for sale as I have not ridden the Aprilia to count it out of the race.
    Kevin
    ---------
    '07 Yamaha R6

2012 Sponsors:

I have a 2001 RSV Mille (not the R model) and I've had 14K trouble free miles. No problems at all and I just do the regular oil/filter changes myself. Had the valves checked at 10K miles...no problems. Goes through tires fast (2-3K miles) but, most larger displacement bikes do.

I rode Honda CB/CBR's for 13 years and Aprilia's are just as reliable with a little better build quality and better componants. They are also much more unique than the other bikes you listed. It's rare that I see another one on the road.

My advice would be to pick up a 2001-2003 base model unless you plan to race, then get the R model. The difference is a bunch of carbon fiber shit and Olins suspension. Take my work for it, the Showa/Sach's suspension on the base model is very good for street/canyon and the occasional track day.

You can pick up a used Mille with low miles for about the cost of a new 600 Jap bike. I paid $8500 out the door for mine two years ago with 4K miles on it. I've put about $3K in aftermarket performance mod's on mine and parts aren't a problem if you know where to look.

If you want to check my bike out, shoot me a PM and we'll try to hook up some place.

Go for an 03 or 04 RC bro. Forget the fuel guage nonsense. You want a fuel guage - buy a scooter. (I've heard Suzuki has a cool 650.) The RC is a bike built for the track. You're going to get a lot more bike for your money if you shop around for an RC. They're nearly 12K new, but since everyone and their brother is on a GSXR, or other wanna-be I-4, they don't sell as well. You can usually find one that's a year old with 1k-2K worth of aftermarked goodies for 8K or less.

Yeah, I have definately removed the I4's from the competition. After driving an RC, I am hooked on the twins. So at this point I am not sure what I will end up with but will be one of the two (RC or RSV Mille)
    Kevin
    ---------
    '07 Yamaha R6

2012 Sponsors:

Go V twin.....Some insurences are dumb enough to list hte RC51 as a cruiser because of the Vtwin motor. (or so I've heard)

the best new sport bike is the gsxr1000, the best new bike for new riders to get is the SV650 Suzuki its very affordable, all bikes are good, it comes down to what you want for your money. And if you have to have flash, or need for a unique bike with hard to get parts..... just enjoy your bike and ride safe

Since the average rider would be faster through a tight twisty canyon on an sv650 or a vfr800, how can the gix1k be the best bike??
    Jeff Black
    Littleton, CO

Currently bikeless, but will be BMW shopping again come springtime.

I said the GSXR K5 and newer are nice sport bikes, they WIN..period, dont listen to me, look at the AMA race results for the last 6 years, read every magazine comparison, R1s are awesome too, all bikes are great. CBRs Ducatis harleys, Triumphs, , whatever you buy you wont go wrong, enjoy your ride and ride safe

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by K6-beast";p="270050
    I said the GSXR K5 and newer are nice sport bikes, they WIN..period, dont listen to me, look at the AMA race results for the last 6 years,
    uh-oh....here we go again.

K6, we just had an awesome post and discussion on this very subject. AMA results and their relevance to what you can buy on the showroom floor, what that means to the average rider/user etc.

Look here

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...ic.php?t=22046

Lots of really good points, well argued about this very subject.

Later!
    Scott

p.s.- Kevin, did you ever get a bike?

I'm kind of surprised that the VFR800 isn't on this list. Considered one of the best sport bikes ever made- and the resale values seem to support this.
    As far as your list goes.
    Since you say that you are interested in a fuel guage- I suspect that you are going to go on longer rides as well as sporting ventures.
    I'm a big fan of the inline fours, You've got to love winding those motors up. But they have drawbacks as far a normal street use. When you get on them, everyone is well aware of it(Police!)The R1 and GSXR are not great for the taller riders. The ergonomics are set up for someone around 5'6" and 160lbs. But hey, they are flat out faster for track days.
    The V-twins are much better for all around street riding-not bad on the track either. Coming out of a corner with the low-end torque can make you feel like a king of the road. The other member who has had a trouble free 14k out of his aprilia is not unheard of, but definitely not the norm. I think it is hit-or-miss with those bikes and reliability. With Ducatis, it's an act of god! But an unreliable RC51, I've never heard of such a thing, unless it's a track bike. But a V-twin is supposed to be a more reliable motor. Good group of choices you have to look at. I don't think any one would let you down, and if you like to wrench, like I do, that Aprilia is definitely put together with the right stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by RYBO";p="270063
    p.s.- Kevin, did you ever get a bike?
    Scott - YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually did get a bike and I LOVE it. I am definately happy with the power delivery in town with the V-Twin. I used to hate that about my old CBR is I wanted to get up and off the line quick to either pass someone or hop over into a turn late or out of a turn late etc... and by the time the bike slowly got up to the power range I was already at speed limit and so I was constantly exceeding the limit by at least 20mph. Which isn't too bad but it wasn't Ideal. Now I can just get on it, assuming i keep the front wheel on the ground. and i am up to right above or below the limit.

I got a 2001 Aprilia RSV Mille.

I will attempt to add pictures however I couldn't get my avitar updated even with the jpeg in the req specs.
    Kevin
    ---------
    '07 Yamaha R6

2012 Sponsors:

I haven't read the other posts so this may be redundant. I doubt that you would go wrong with any of those 4 bikes. The maintenance on the Aprilia might be more expensive than the others.

I like my GSX-R1000 because for my size, 5'8", it is a very comfortable bike to ride. And, because it's a rocket. It's also a very easy bike to ride.

The 2006 GSX-R600 and GSX-R750 both have the same dimensions as the 1000 this year. Unless you are near 6 feet tall or taller, all of the GSXR series of bikes would probably be comfortable for you.

If I were you, I'd go sit on each one for 30 minutes and notice how you feel, do you hurt somewhere, what do you like, not like?

Lee
    2005 Suzuki GSX-R1000 (K5)
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000 (K6) (Wife's bike -> The "Mini-Gixxer")
    2005 Yamaha FJR-1300

If you're riding without a helmet, then you must know that you have nothing to protect.