Thread: Bike Security - alarms, locks, covers... gimme your advice

Bike Security - alarms, locks, covers... gimme your advice

Alright guys, I'm moving to my new apartment next weekend on the 8/9th and will no longer have the luxury of a garage. What are some suggestions for keeping my bike safe. Disc-lock, U-locks, anchoring, alarms.

I already have a heavy duty U-Lock, I'll keep the steering column locked. I can park my bike close to my apartment so I'm thinking just a dinky alarm would work for alerting me if someone was trying to lift it or something.

Saw these cheapos on e-bay, opinions...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

It's a celebration bitches!!! - RIP 502

Motos:
    2003 SV1000N - Dual Yosh RS3 CF Exhaust ••••• 09' Aprilia SR50 (Wife's) ••••• 93' ZX-11 - Sold after 43k Miles
    Cars:
    08' Audi S5 6MT •••• 10' VW TDI Cup Edition 6MT •••• 02' VW TDI Beetle 5MT •••• 07' Ford Explorer

Re: Bike Security - alarms, locks, covers... gimme your advi

Stu- Why buy something cheap to lock up your pride and joy?

Get this http://www.abuslocks.com/37quick.asp
    "Every Crotch is a Rocket" HDAVE

'09 Suzuki SV650
    '07 Honda CBR 600RR
    '14 1875 watt Conair

MRA#522

I have a Scorpio alarm system on my FJR and it is excellent. But, professional thieves are good at defeating alarm systems, locks, and chains.

Can you find a mini-warehouse nearby in which to store your bike? That is what I would do.

Lee
    2005 Suzuki GSX-R1000 (K5)
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000 (K6) (Wife's bike -> The "Mini-Gixxer")
    2005 Yamaha FJR-1300

If you're riding without a helmet, then you must know that you have nothing to protect.

Lol, I live only 3 miles away from the folks house, I could keep it there, wouldn't it become redundant every morning going to get my bike with all my gear in the car and the extra keys...

Motos:
    2003 SV1000N - Dual Yosh RS3 CF Exhaust ••••• 09' Aprilia SR50 (Wife's) ••••• 93' ZX-11 - Sold after 43k Miles
    Cars:
    08' Audi S5 6MT •••• 10' VW TDI Cup Edition 6MT •••• 02' VW TDI Beetle 5MT •••• 07' Ford Explorer

I brought all my shoes and all my glasses so I would have them
    Stew...i've had 2 bikes stolen from me. One had a u-lock and a disk lock...still stolen right out infront of my apt.

The second bike i decided to try an alarm w/ a pager...they still stole it. good luck. Now it stays inside at night.
    ~Travis~
    It's okay...I'm a Doctor.
    Originally Posted by Keyser Soze
    Everybody on CSC knows everything
    2003 GSX-R600 - Former Love
    2003 Kawasaki ZX6R - Former Love
    1999 Suzuki TL1000R - Former Love
    2004 DRZ400E - New Dirty
    2002 KFX 650 - Quad

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar
    Keep you bike at your parent's, or it'll be gone within a matter of days Stew. I keep mine at a friends garage and throw the gear in the truck and drive over, the peace of mind is worth it.

However I did pay $1,200 to get LoJack installed on my new ZX-10R. Locks and alarms won't do sh*t if someone wants your bike. LoJack is really the only sure bet with over a 90% recovery rate. Plus, depending on the plan they might cut you an additional check! On my plan if my bike isn't found within 24 hours LoJack writes me a check for $5000! Can't beat that for the price.
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

STEW-

I too had a bike stolen...it was under the front porch of my parents house in a "upper middle class" area. If you cannot put it in a garage keep it at the parentals (too many of us had to learn the hard way...now we are all statistics).

If we cannot convince you to keep it as momz; bump up your insurance and drop your deductible and hope for the best.

Can you get on a waiting list for a garage?

Jason
    2011 Ducati 848 Evo "Bautista"
    2002 Honda RC-51 "Big Boi"

"Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn!"

hmm, well i'm now seeing if I can keep it in their garage, they like to park the S-10 and the impala in there so not much space for me I think we'll have to see if I can convince them, i'm sure it won't be a problem, and I guess the 2.3 miles isn't bad..

Motos:
    Cars:

now with bi-turbo goodness Site Admin Mel's Avatar
    Keep it inside if possible, if some assclown wants it, he is just gonna take it (my sisters Typhoon got stolen out of my parents driveway).
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

When I lived off of Hampden and Yosemite in some apartments, I had a covered parking spot. There was a concrete support beam that I had a cable lock going around to anchor the bike (attached to the front tire, through the forks). I also had a disc lock for the rear tire, a Gorilla alarm with mercury switch (it would only go off if the bike was moved from the leaning position of the kick stand), and a full cover also locked. Never had a problem. Oh and I also parked the car directly in front of it, when I was home.

I now have a town home with a garage, so if you want the alarm I'll sell it to you, as I don't use it and pulled it out a while ago. Just let me know. I would have to look to find the remote for it though.