Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BunBurner Gold Insanity

BunBurner Gold Insanity

Castle Rock, CO, USA, to Edmonton, Alberta, CA, on or near the last weekend in July. Harry Biker and I are chewin on this. Anyone else game?
    IBA #10979 - SS1K, All-Dirt SS1K, SS2K, SS3K, 100CCC, BBGold, TCGold

Re: BunBurner Gold Insanity

I have vacation approved for late July. If'n I pass on Laguna, I'll need something else to pass the time. This definitely sounds worthy. I need to blast through this set of TKC80s and get them replaced with something roadworthy (Metzeler 880s, maybe?).

I like the metlzer 6 but the 880 is where the milage is at. i might be game....
    Jeff Black
    Littleton, CO

Currently bikeless, but will be BMW shopping again come springtime.

Do I dare choose the cruiser-iffic whitewalls??

It's tempting. Planning to finally do the 1000 miles /24 hours in the beginning of July. I will keep this in mind.
    You must be fast, 'cuz I was haulin' ass when I passed you.

Wade
    '01 TL1000S

Another version for TL is "sounds like Thunder - fast like Lightning"
    Imagine it was said by a Hardley rider!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nissn1 View Post
    theres no soul in R1's only r-soles

For anyone who does not know, this is probably ONE OF THE HARDEST IBA rides published. I've got quite a few LD rides under my belt, and I do not if I can do this one. The 1500 in 24 hours with Ron a couple years ago kicked my butt! This is double that...

(The guys that do this ride as a triple are just plain SICK! Only half a dozen or so immortals have done the triple.)

All that said, everyone is welcome to come along! But this is a RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE, kinda ride.

Also, the route is not final. We may decide that Canada border crossings are not in the cards, due to the additional time that they take.

And finally, here are the pre-requisite rides, according to the IBA website:

Rule #2
    Before you can apply for any ride referenced by these rules, you must satisfy the following conditions: To qualify for a Bun-Burner GOLD 3000, CCC GOLD, or Trans Canadian GOLD you must have at least completed one of the following; a Bun-Burner GOLD, the Alberta 2000, Capitol 1000, Nevada 1100, Minnesota 1000, TimberButt, Tarbutt Rally, Utah 1088, any Cognoscente Group event, any Reno BMW Long Distance Event, any MERA event, or the Iron Butt Rally.
    IMPORTANT NOTE: Other 24 and 36 hour rallies qualify. Their omission here is not intentional, it is just not possible to list all qualifying rallies. If you are unsure if a rally you finished is acceptable, please contact Michael Kneebone.

I'm guessing that a 50CC counts as well, but Mike has the final say-so.

Man, those rules are tough! #4)!
    I had never heard of a BBG-Triple! Sweet. For those w/ suicidal ideation perhaps? Please pass the Tabasco sauce for the eyes!

Like you Will, I don't know if I can make this either,(but I'll give it one heck of a try!!) I made 1536 miles barely in 24 hours & that included very spirited desert riding,(but my GS has bad range & no radar detect). If I get the cell,(I will) I think we have a shot @ a 21 hour 1st leg, sleep, start the clock & if we need to sleep more on the 2nd leg we should have @ least 1-2 hours as needed.

Back in the day,when I had a Concours I easily rode 800 miles in 12 hours,(several times en-route to 1K+) that's a 22 hour BBG. I think if we hammered on the 1st leg we could make it in 21 hours

So we need a fast route & I know I-10 is fast! However, if we can match Colorado speed North, WY/MT-ish
    My vote is to stay North of I-80 as much as possible or @ least avoid the desert heat. Perhaps we should hit Canada?

Thoughts?
    Can you meet in Monument/ Palmer Lake or the B-Snort this weekend to look over an atlas?

Can't meet this weekend (headin to NM for some dirt riding). But here's a route I measured out last night:

Denver to Omaha, NE
    Omaha to Fargo
    Fargo to Wallace, ID
    Wallace to Denver

I think the total was around 3020 miles.

All interstate (I hate that fact, but it will alllow for a high average speed). Stays north which will be important in the summer months). Stays West, of the Mississippi River (low population densities).

CSC co-founder

OUCH.... Just did some quick calcs! 63.3 MPH must be maintained for 48 hours just to make it!!!!!!!!

My ass gets sore just sitting in the chair too long at work...
    PHX, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Biker";p="265656
    Man, those rules are tough! #4)!
    I had never heard of a BBG-Triple! Sweet. For those w/ suicidal ideation perhaps? Please pass the Tabasco sauce for the eyes!

Like you Will, I don't know if I can make this either,(but I'll give it one heck of a try!!) I made 1536 miles barely in 24 hours & that included very spirited desert riding,(but my GS has bad range & no radar detect). If I get the cell,(I will) I think we have a shot @ a 21 hour 1st leg, sleep, start the clock & if we need to sleep more on the 2nd leg we should have @ least 1-2 hours as needed.

Back in the day,when I had a Concours I easily rode 800 miles in 12 hours,(several times en-route to 1K+) that's a 22 hour BBG. I think if we hammered on the 1st leg we could make it in 21 hours

So we need a fast route & I know I-10 is fast! However, if we can match Colorado speed North, WY/MT-ish
    My vote is to stay North of I-80 as much as possible or @ least avoid the desert heat. Perhaps we should hit Canada?

Thoughts?
    Can you meet in Monument/ Palmer Lake or the B-Snort this weekend to look over an atlas?
    I agree with you on the times. I generally PLAN my LD rides around a 3hour/200miles average. That's rolling time and does include stopping for gas. Stopping-to-sleep-time is on top of that.

When I did the second leg of my 100CCC, I averaged 3hr/200mi, and that one included 2 1/2 hours of sleep in central Texas. That equated to a moving average of 71 mph (all interstate).

Doing all the math I will plan for 3hr/200mi for this ride, or 45 hours of rolling, allowing for 3 hours of sleep. This average speed I know I can do at a minimum. An increase in average rolling speed will translate into more sleep, but will only be used at the end of the first leg. If I get into the end of the first leg early, I plan to sleep right up until the gun goes off for the start of the second leg. The location for the midpoint checkpoint should ideally be someplace where we can park the bikes and sleep next to them SAFELY. I prefer well-lit rest areas, State Park picnic grounds (sometimes the ranger gets to be your alarm clock ), or dark, dark, very dark, dirt roads leading into National Forests. Depending on the time of day or night, some low volume truck stops also work. If it's got too much truck traffic, you wake up everytime one of the trucks blows the air out of their brakes. The area up around Wallace, ID, should be ideal for many options. I hope to stay away from metro areas for the midpoint.

For time verification, just fill up the tank halfway when we roll in (to get the first receipt) and top it off as we roll out (to get the second leg starting receipt).

Depending on the mapping program your use, Wallace, ID, may come up short of a 3K by about 5 miles (I guess it all depends on where we start in Denver, but I'd rather err on the "ride too much" side). A better location might be the next exit down the road in Kellogg, ID. Possibly get a room at the Super 8 for a couple hours, and wake up with a shower.

I think I'll get my first Iron Butt ride in before I plan on this one. I don't know how I will handle 1000 miles in a day on the TL, let alone 3000 in two.

Wade
    '01 TL1000S

Dude!

I love the route! Fine job.

Remember that we'll start in Castle Rock, so that'll add some miles.
    There's a Diamond Shamrock that I think is 24 hours @ the 2nd exit just west of I-25,(I'll confrim that this weekend). We could start the clock there. Our traveling speed is very compatable as you described mysteady & quick, but more relaxed pace to a tee! I will have the option to travel quicked with the longer range.

Are we a go for 7/28 say 0200? I figure that way we can plan on pulling in for some sleep when it's still dark,(plus the time change should be in our favor. We can "play it by ear" re: a hotel or not,(which would be my vote especially if we have > 3 hours-which will be an extreme push). If we only have 2 hours or so, I do have a "Screaming Meanie", but the thing scares me so much I may not fall asleep!

Swade, if you do not get your SS1K in prior to this date, you are welcome to roll 500 miles to Omaha w/us & then do a U-turn! Likley by 9:30AM, you'd be heading home!

Just thinking about that "triple"BBG again...

You know, the triple,(successful) sets the stage of course for the quad & the quad would take the record away from Mr. Eagan!!!!

Have you ever thought about that?

If my neck holds up on this ride,(big if)...he's going down! I think a 100 hour UCC is doable.

Speaking of Alsaka, when are you going? '07??

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Biker";p="266002
    Swade, if you do not get your SS1K in prior to this date, you are welcome to roll 500 miles to Omaha w/us & then do a U-turn! Likley by 9:30AM, you'd be heading home!
    That is a very good possibility if I don't get it done before then.

Wade
    '01 TL1000S

I remembered tonight that I will be in Omaha the last weekend of July anyway. I have to go to a wedding for my wife's cousin.

Someday I will get to do one of these long rides with you guys.

Wade
    '01 TL1000S

i've done a bbg and it's hell!! but my dad (who was with me) dropped the speed WAY back toward the end of the day.
    Jeff Black
    Littleton, CO

Currently bikeless, but will be BMW shopping again come springtime.

Just a quick update...

I realized as I was explaining the route to Dan that Wallace or Kellogg , ID, is nowhere near the midpoint. The midpoint will be somewhere out in the middle of Montana.

Wallace could still be the turn around point.

Will revisit the maps tonight...

Looks like the midpoint of the loop is around Forsyth, MT. Forsyth looks like a nice little farm town with a park down by the river which may provide a nice place to sleep out next to the bikes...

If this loop sounds good, I'll call the gas station and verify that they have 24 Hour Pay at the Pump.

Will,
    Lock & load!!!
    The only thing that will keep you solo is my frickin neck. Bought a new shoulder 3 yrs ago, back 2 yrs ago, will get the neck next winter. Call me Frickin Harry Frankenstein Biker! Butt, I'm gonna roll no matter what. My cervical traction machine is portable-yipeekaiyea.

Need witnesses @ start, mid & end.

Henry, are you gonna witness, ride with, do your own thing?
    Nick Ninja are you hip to witness,(when you should be in a warm comfy bed)? If needed, my step dad is IBA as well,(but he'd come down from Black HawK) & I think for this ride, we use the IBA-ers.

Will,
    You're a seasoned IBA-er, can you work on this especially for the mid point, which is the most important one?

I may be able to set you up with a witness in Omaha. My brother lives there and could probably help out, depending when you go through.

Wade
    '01 TL1000S

Harry,

I think getting a start or finish witness will be realtively easy.
    a) I know a fireman in Castle Rock (firemen/police are certified witnesses)
    b) My wife is a certified IBA member
    c) Dan's wife is an certified IBA member

I think we should both focus on the the midpoint witness, because it may be particularly difficult, given the location. We probably need to:

a) decide if Forsyth, MT is the place
    b) set the date in stone
    c) decide on the start time for the entire ride - this will dictate a window of time(s) that we need someone at the midpoint. I don't think it's reasonable to ask someone to be there at 2am. So I think our overall start time needs to be before 10 pm at night or after 5am in the morning (just for the sake of those who we might be asking to help us).

Once these are decided, I will contact the MTF and try to arrange a witness from their list. There is almost always a Ride-To-Eat going on, somewhere, every weekend. Maybe one of those crazies could swing by Montana on their way...