Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BunBurner Gold Insanity

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Re: BunBurner Gold Insanity

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Biker";p="266509
    Will,
    Lock & load!!!
    The only thing that will keep you solo is my frickin neck. Bought a new shoulder 3 yrs ago, back 2 yrs ago, will get the neck next winter. Call me Frickin Harry Frankenstein Biker! Butt, I'm gonna roll no matter what. My cervical traction machine is portable-yipeekaiyea.

Need witnesses @ start, mid & end.

Henry, are you gonna witness, ride with, do your own thing?
    Nick Ninja are you hip to witness,(when you should be in a warm comfy bed)? If needed, my step dad is IBA as well,(but he'd come down from Black HawK) & I think for this ride, we use the IBA-ers.

Will,
    You're a seasoned IBA-er, can you work on this especially for the mid point, which is the most important one?
    Yeah ---- I can witness your Insanity Expedition. Post up a time and place --- oh, and post up a map of your route too.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Swade,
    Your a good man. However, we'll need the witnees 1000 miles beyond Omaha, but I appreciate the thought.

Jeff, you know your a stud & I will likely take you up on your offer,(I'd prefer a Butter vs an officer as I know the Butt will reply to Mr. Kneebone should they come a calling). However, we may need both,(end witness etc)
    I do not however know how to post up the route, but Will must?
    If it helps you out,(now I'm sounding like Will, I can change the travel days to Sat/Sun, not the planned Fri/Sat,(not sure if you can or not Will, but either way, I'm taking a 3 day weekend & plan to sleep just a little post insanity.
    Henry will witness. I know he owes Jeff post wadding himself,(sorry HT) & they can have breakfast together or ride the 1st 200 with us & well, I think he owes me a witness or two as well. Besides, he'll already be awake!

Well Will,(that's kinda fun to say) of your 2 times offered, I'll have to choose 5AM-sharp though, so we blow through D w/o any traffic. Also, that pretty much guarantees us darkness & quiet @ say 3AM local time MT. vs 8pm Friday night w/ all them drunken cowpokes getting ready to go two steppin.

Mid-point is darn close to Forsyth aka (Ralph) & it appears Billings is right @ 1600 miles. Surely we can find an LD Rider/IBA out of that city. I know I can find one in the MC touring forum group. I'm sure I'll get my 10th wind around there & could push on to Custer or similar so the IBA-er would only have a 50 miler,(1 way)

Not that's it's needed,( I only have 1 moving violation in this country with owning an XX & Busa & playing as a kid with a W30 package 442!!) but do you run radar? Funny story though...Old Dietrich got tagged x 2 on my old XX & I on his ZX11 never got tagged! Too slow of a bike I suppose.
    Also do you have a CB? I have the later.

Dan and I took a close look at the route last night and I will try to get it posted tonight. We nailed it right down to some very specific gas stations and one of the legs was right at 1502.9 miles...

The turn point on I-90 near the Montana-Idaho border is Haugan, MT. There's a gas station next to the 10,000 Silver Dollar Bar. Interesting place - they have 10,000 real silver dollars laquered right into the surface of the bar.

Route started at the southern-most exit of Castle Rock, and had to route thru Council Bluffs, not just Omaha. Harry, just out of curiosity, why did you select Castle Rock? Is that where you live? It doesn't matter to me either way. Dan and I will likely start our ride in Woodland Park and pick you up wherever you choose to start. Castle Rock is just cutting it close... If we do start at 5am, you're more than welcome to come down the night before and crash here. Then, Jen or Beth could sign us out. Beth (Dan's wife) is going for her BBGold in about 3 weeks.

I can do Fri-Sat or Sat-Sun. Either way, it'll require a 3-day weekend (Fri or Mon off).

As for riding farkles, I don't run radar or CB, but I think Dan does CB. I just listen to tunes. I guess I don't really speed all that much either. I pretty much ride with traffic, so right around 80. I've got my gas stops down to 5 minutes (with practice) and I eat and drink while riding. Camel back bladder in the tank bag and a bag full of beef jerky and I'm good to go. I don't start taking in water until about 50 miles before the next gas stop. Gas and drain, all in one stop, usually about every 240 miles.

The distances between gas stations on this ride are a little bit wacky, because of the spacing. Varies anywhere from 190 to 234. Couldn't get a nice consistent 230 worked out. As always, I carry 2 liters in my luggage, just in case I hit a VERY STRONG headwind, like on I-10 in western Texas... I've heard eastern Montana can be similar. What the range on your bike?
    IBA #10979 - SS1K, All-Dirt SS1K, SS2K, SS3K, 100CCC, BBGold, TCGold

Day 1
    1503 miles

Start - Southern exit of Castle Rock, CO
    Turn - Council Bluffs, IA (just east of Omaha, NE)
    Turn - Moorhead or Dilworth, MN (first or second exit east of Fargo)
    End - Forsyth, MT

In addition to gas gas stops for the start, end and turn points, other intermediate gas stops along the way in:
    Julesburg, CO
    Kearney, NE
    Brookings, SD
    Bismarck, ND
    Glendive, MT

Day 2
    1548 miles

Start - Forsyth, MT
    Turn around at Haugan, MT
    Turn south at Billings, MT
    End Castle Rock, CO (or anywhere within 48 miles north of there)

Alternate
    Turn around Superior, MT
    Finish the ride in Colorado Springs

A final alternate route for Day 2 could be:

Start - Forsyth, MT
    Turn around in Missoula
    Head south to Salt Lake City
    Head east to Cheyenne, Wy
    Head south to Castle Rock

However, this route is only 1497 miles
    Getting off for gas stops will likely add the necessary 3 additional miles, but ending in Monument instead of Castle Rock would remove any doubt for the IBA officials.

BBG3K Hmmm, you guys trying to keep all the fun to your self or what?

I've been looking at some various routes to do the same thing and the urge is strong

Greetings GSL, Harry Biker, and all LDRs...

That is a nice looking plan with enough buffer mileage to satisfy iba. I use the same software for my planning, preferring to make each estimated fuel stop as an intermediate point for 8 minutes. You know the route up there...

my two-wheeler is moving along on the mend to full recovery with minor details (like re-mounting my radar detector on my windscreen, verifying my plumbing on my aux tank, some long time running on my aux lamps, and adjusting my rearset for my usual touring postitions...). I hope to tweak this a bit this weekend but I don't know If I'd be fully confident by the date you'e set for this tour.... rest assured, if nothing else I will do whatever it takes to be a witness.

onward,
    Henry
    "its boxy, its fast..."

iba#14410 -- 1kss, bbg, 50cc, 2kss, 3kss and b2b_insanity completed -- it has been 4 years.
    UPDATE bbg_insanity will run somewhere btwn APR-JUN 09

I picked CR for the start as it's somewhat in between us. I did not want to ride down to WP & then back as I'm gonna need all the rest I can get for this monster of a ride. I appreciate the offer to crash @ your house & it's been awhile since I last slept close to your wife,(kidding although you know it's true !) but the thought of having insomnia prior to departure is a real possibility,(just ask the Busa boy).

Old knee...time to play too?

Will our riding styles are similar & with the same engine,(although mines faster) Also gas stops when I'm in a zone, I've done 4 minutes. It sounds like Dan's going. Old knee may come out too. If Henry goes, that should be the max limit as we do not want to struggle at gas stations time wise. If you do not ride Henry & being the engineer you are, I know you can have that Falcon ready to ride by then so quit farkling around.
    BTW, I'm looking to human power it tomorrow for "the loop" if you can ride, call me on my cell & we can do a slow 25 miler & meet @ the usual.

Currently, my GS is only getting around 200 miles. I have a taller screen as well & @ speed it may be less. The most I ever got was 225 & I was on fumes. I will however have a fix in time for the ride & am still deciding if I want to go huge for the 10.8 gallon Touratech or a aux cell. The large tank is pretty pricey, but then I can add custom paint so we'll see.

Thanks for all the work on the mapping issue. If Henry goes, he owes you a beer! If not, I suppose I owe you.
    L8r.

HT --- if you dont go on the asswhip ride wanna go up and do Lolo Pass (ID 12), hang in the hot springs, and ride back with these yo-yo's?
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

Hi Ron!

Hello Will & Harry Are you still thinking end of July? I've got a short attention span I'm trying to line out a few good rides and would enjoy riding with you if you will have me and I don't have anything else going at the time.

Ah, ha!!! the engineering challenge! my aux tank plumbing seems fine so far. Today, I ran my 5.3 main empty and my 4.0 from the aux to refill it; i'm at 260 miles with half of the main left. no drips or excessive odors! i plan on loading up and running somemore tomorrow to play with my new rearset. aux lamps are doin fine; no shorts! I'll put my gps and detector on my stem mount.

I'm gonna do some practice packing to see if I can get what I need down to my Stich pockets and my double-high tankbag.... the minimalist approach....

insomnia.... yessss, i rememberthat Will, I'm adding your proposed fuel stops to my copy of your maps --- my stops filling both tanks (w/o whizzing/drinking/eating) take about 8 minutes. I killed my last helmet that was suited for enroute drinks -- nutz!

Harry B, my rib-to-spine connects aren't ready for the twist-and-load efforts of bicycling yet! I will play no-load with the Busa in the morning....

I will see if I can put in for vaca for the July 28th thru 31st next monday

workin' on it,
    Haya Henry
    "its boxy, its fast..."

iba#14410 -- 1kss, bbg, 50cc, 2kss, 3kss and b2b_insanity completed -- it has been 4 years.

Most Excellent!!!!!
    Welcome aboard Ron & Henry! That I believe w/ Dan makes 5.

So Jeff, what exactly is your range on the ZZR?? Don;t you want to see Fargo my good man? Then Lolo's just the next state over. Never say Die!

Got my MRI for free yesterday! Looks good enough the crack it good! I think I'll be around for this little putt after all.

So, here's what I know & it ain't a whole lot...

1)Most of us can get a 3 day weekend. The initial plan was to leave 0500 Friday 7/28/06. Be back in my comfy bed by 0545 7/30/06,(unless we have the celebratory breakfast which might be desired depending on how we feel)-great breakfast burritos @ Santiagos in CR) I can still do this one.
    However...
    If we rolled instead 24 hours later, we'll miss out on 1 "bar time" aka < drunks & may also have less traffic to deal with so let's take a vote & lock that in.

2) Nick Ninja is going to be 1 witness @ the start unless he decides he's STILL a butter & wants to ride too. For entertainment we can watch the ZZR suck up the FJR whilst the Busa hits 3rd gear,(not sure what Dan rides) I'm pretty certain I can get my step dad to witness @ least once, so check on the FF's schedule & we can maybe just knock on his station's door,(I did that in San Diego & the witch told me it was too early-6am & slammed the door in my face!)

3) sleeping arrangements- my preferance would be a bed, but only if I had @ least 3 hours + a shower. So, my vote will be dependant on time. 2 hrs or < then I'll have to use the dreaded meanie & a sleeping bag,(unless it's raining). I suppose there's a small chance we could actually find a LD rider to let a bunch of us crash in their garage or something.

4) Lastly, since we don't all know each other, perhaps we could do 1-2 rides of @ least a full tank of gas & time ourselves etc. Cabellas anyone?

I get 2 fiddy per tank. I don't have the prerequisites to get Kneebone to sign off on my successful accomplishment if I did go. I just have a quarter of a million miles on two wheels over thirty years and two IBA SS1K's (one of which I never sent in the paperwork for )

I guess my vote is still for Friday, 5 am. Two reasons:

1. That means we're riding Friday and Saturday, and if anyone has bike problems, motorcycle shops will be open each day. If someone has a bike problem an a Sunday, they're gonna be SOL for parts until Tuesday.

2. We still haven't found an "end of ride" witness. If someone has to ride in to witness our finish, Sunday morning will be better because they won'y have conflicts with getting to work the same day.

The midpoint, Forsyth, MT, looks like a pretty small town. I'm not too worried about drunks out and about at 1-2am when we roll into town. Actually, dexonline.com didn't reveal ANY bars in town.

Here's some basic info on Forsyth, Montana:

Population:
    1,944 (2000 census)

Lodging options:
    http://www.forsythmontana.org/lodging.htm

Gas options:
    Kum & Go
    1017 Front St.
    Forsyth, MT 59327
    406-356-2885
    Clerk available 24 x 7
    Pay at Pump 24 x 7
    Confirmed 4/15/06 by phone

Town Pump
    974 Front St.
    Forsyth, MT 59327
    406-356-7952
    Clerk available 24 x 7
    Pay at Pump 24 x 7
    Confirmed 4/15/06 by phone

From the weather almanac:
    Peak rainy season in Forsyth is May (2.35" avg.) July is 1.43" average for the month. Average high temps around 90. Lows around 60.

>> i'm there for Friday departure @ 0500 (recovery period on Sunday)

>> i can sleep anywhere/anytime in the 'Stich (picnic table or my short tarp)

>> i have my own 110db Screamer

>> i sleep and ride with earplugs; I sleep like a chainsaw!

>> an intro-ride would be a great idea

today's ride put my aux plumbing on the "ready" list (range was 325 with mix of city/hwy) , my aux lamps are fine. i'll tweak my rear brake pedal angle again tomorrow. i'm still trimming my packlist to fit my 'Stich and tall tankbag.

if we end leg #1 in "Ralph" @ about 0200, start leg #2 @ 0500, we should be done around 0200 --- we'd need a "very" special end witness

onward,
    Haya Henry
    "its boxy, its fast..."

In the for what it's worth column... according to the IronButt web there are only 71 people who have done the BBG3K, 2 of those actually did the BBG triple (I know that there are at least 2 more that are waiting on verification). The BBG is definitely a tuff ride and a BBG3K will be a real personal challenge for everybody, regardless of prior experiences.

I sorted the list and found that the bikes used for the BBG3K do not include ANY Suzuki's so my hat is off to anybody who would take the Busa... I have a fuel cell for my ZX12 but for this ride I think I will stick to the proven FJR.

BMW 32
    HD 2
    Honda 27
    Kawasaki 2
    Triumph 1
    Yamaha 7

Just as a point of interest, there are only 8 people (and one passenger) who have done a Border to Border to Border ride between Canada and Mexico and back. Six of the 8 actually had 3K plus miles and got listed as both the Border to Border Insanity and the BBG 3000.

There is also a ride planned for early July in Nevada where a group will be doing a 24 hour all the miles that you can ride. Of course you will never be listed as more than 1800 miles in 24 hours but I expect that there will be a few 1800+ world record holder plates issued as a result of that ride.

I tried to do the famed "Blister" ride in Nevada a couple of years ago when they did a mass BBG3K ride but after 18 hours and 1500 miles I had completely burned up a brand new ME880 rear tire on the ZX12R (showing the metal bands). It was fun but I failed miserably in the group ride.

My apologies Jeff. I actually thought about the pre-reqs after my post.
    Still would enjoy some miles w/ you & you clearly have the range to hang for as long as you desire. Only 1/4 million??better get to riding

So it sounds to me like 0500 on 7/28/06 Castle Rock,(Diamond Shamrock 2nd exit just west of 1-25) it is!!!!!
    Jeff, are you 100% gonna witness the start?

Nice to know the CSC has so many accomplished LD riders that "know the feeling" (a-hem) such as monkey butt.

As far as the world record in 24 hours, many years ago a rider did 1970 miles. I'm sure he was bummed to not get that extra 30 in. Perhaps this has been beat?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Biker";p="267215
    My apologies Jeff. I actually thought about the pre-reqs after my post.
    Still would enjoy some miles w/ you & you clearly have the range to hang for as long as you desire. Only 1/4 million??better get to riding

So it sounds to me like 0500 on 7/28/06 Castle Rock,(Diamond Shamrock 2nd exit just west of 1-25) it is!!!!!
    Jeff, are you 100% gonna witness the start?

Nice to know the CSC has so many accomplished LD riders that "know the feeling" (a-hem) such as monkey butt.

As far as the world record in 24 hours, many years ago a rider did 1970 miles. I'm sure he was bummed to not get that extra 30 in. Perhaps this has been beat?
    I'll witness the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Biker";p="267215
    ...7/28/06 Castle Rock,(Diamond Shamrock 2nd exit just west of 1-25) it is!!!!!...
    Harry? "2nd exit"? Coming from which direction? Maybe we should be explicit with the address for us guys coming in from out of town.

According to dexonline, there is a Diamond Shamrock at 310 S. Wilcox, which is at the exit at the south edge of town (first exit coming from the south, third exit coming from the north). But that's just EAST of I-25. Is that the one you are referring to? It sure doesn't sound right...

Meet at the Village Inn -- it's by a couple of Gas ports and there is no problem finding it. I will be having breakfast there --- no matter when you guys plan on departing (West side coming from the north).

I might ride out to Sterling and go north to Cabalas ----- and then meet you up in Idaho somewhere

are there any plans for the intro-ride this weekend ??? i found my stemstand for my gps/ipod and installed my windscreen radar mount. in my packing trial I found that there is a hole in one of my side-pockets for my tankbag.... oh well, bag-of-bags will work just fine!!! my vaca has been approved.
    let me know what goes,
    Haya Henry
    "its boxy, its fast..."

Warm up calisthenics? How about doing a little in state SS? I doubt if many of the IBA Colorado state pins have been handed out yet. This is another of those little things that Wil will probably want to collect  http://www.ironbutt.org/staterides/statepins4.jpg . So to make it interesting are you interested in doing something like this: (1043 miles by MapPoint)

The interesting parts of the ride would be from Dinasor to Durango along the Western side of the range. The bad parts would be Durango to Walsenburg which has lots of trafic and heavily patroled. I figure it's about a 16 hour ride if we keep moving