Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BunBurner Gold Insanity

Re: BunBurner Gold Insanity

Looks fun, Ron. I can't do it this weekend, but could possibly fit it in next weekend.

Dan and I did a nice little 760 miler this past Sunday and there is still plenty of snow on the shoulders of most high passes...

IBA #10979 - SS1K, All-Dirt SS1K, SS2K, SS3K, 100CCC, BBGold, TCGold

Interesting loop you did... My Sunday ride was a little shorter (675 miles) including the passes at Monarch, Slumgullion, Spring Creek, Wolf Creek, Cumbres, and La Veta It was really quite pleasant, cool enough for riding gear but not cold enough to need electrics. Roads were a bit sandy in places but it was a lot of fun.

So, not to side track your BBG3K but an instate SS sounds like fun just to get everybody in the right mood Pick the day

Yep, Spring Creek Pass was a bit, ahem, exciting...
    A little sand/gravel in the corners raised the pucker factor at least once.

What time were you out there? We left WP at 5am sharp, and had sunrise on Monarch, and lunch in Ouray . Man, I love early morning in the Rockies...

That sounds like summer hours! My rides don't normally start until about 7:00 AM after a good breakfast... maybe that's why I am getting so fat It took me a while to take care of some business before I left so I didn't hit the road till about 10:30 in the morning, got home shortly after sun down. I was also worried about possible ice on the passes and wanted to wait till the roads had warmed a bit.

greetings all ldr,
    both look like great circuits and I'm sure time is a premium to all; let's just pick a place to meet and do a bit of road-time together..... we don't need any stinkin' documentation for this sort o thing......
    Bus-Henry
    "its boxy, its fast..."

iba#14410 -- 1kss, bbg, 50cc, 2kss, 3kss and b2b_insanity completed -- it has been 4 years.
    UPDATE bbg_insanity will run somewhere btwn APR-JUN 09

It's Friday evening and been a hard week. I got to ride I think I will do my loop around Colorado tomorrow. Just let me know if anybody would like to come along

HT,
    I may be up for a neck test ride Sunday to Cabellas,(want to view a kayak as well). Neck is feeling really good @ the moment, but am heading out to ride Left Hand Canyon on the Sexy Giant so that may change. Also, need to get in a quick ride early AM as well, so if you can ride, it'd be a later start than normally for me.

I gots me (2) of those CO ss1k state pins '00 & '04,(albeit from CO Freewheelers & not IBA). Nice RAT pin coming in a few weeks to those that "Ride around Texas"!

Will, there's 3 exits to CR. Thus the 2nd exit works for both of us(heading north or south). However, since the Southern exit is a whopping 1-2 miles away, I'm fine with starting the clock there if that's what'd you'd like. My guess is the ride itself will have enough stress, so to get all riled up over the correct directions I gave seems petty,( albeit, no address-but not everyone desires to be so anal & since the ride is > 3 months out, I'm certain that issue would've been taken care of).
    Also, I think your guns fired blanks. Next time try a Para-Ordnance 40 cal high mag!

Riled up? Petty? Anal?!? Sounds like a winning combination for LD riding...

Actually, I prefer the term "Successfully detail-oriented."

Agreed well said.

I think we need to assign? someone to take the lead on finding that mid-point witness. Just so I'm clear, do we need 2 witness all the time,(start mid end)?

Also, is everyone planning on bedding down,(if we make good time) in Forsythe? I know we need the mid-point witness close- 1500 miles in,(@ least 1500 in) or does anyone think @ this point they may continue on after we shut off the clock on leg 1?,(depending on how they feel).

I know I can get 1 end witness. Will, is your wife also willing to take that on,(end witness) as needed?
    We do have Jeff for the start,(Thank you). So let's try to lock in the 2nd start witness soon.

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar
    Jeff will witness your start.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Just got confirmation that my step father,(IBA) will witness us start or finish or both. I think he'll join you likely for breakfast Jeff on the start & may ride out to Sydney NB. as well. In fact, I may join you for breakfast as well,(what's an extra 30')? However, that'll be a last minute decision-I'm sure you understand.

Henry,
    I see you logged in, call me on my cell & we'll catch a quick putt. Currently 1:30 PM.
    H

all.
    the URL for the witness list is as follows:
    http://www.saddlesore.com/witness/witness.htm

unfortunately, Helena is the nearest iba witness... so we might have to rely on an officer and/or fireman for our witness(es) at our mid-point.
    Forsyth is small.
    Bus Henry
    "its boxy, its fast..."

iba#14410 -- 1kss, bbg, 50cc, 2kss, 3kss and b2b_insanity completed -- it has been 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by towneh";p="268559
    Forsyth is small.
    Maybe too small, and too remote. Someone toss out some different routes.

and now for something completely different....

i've been looking at combo-trips with MS s&t along with the postings for available witnesses..... Vancouver is plentiful with witnesses....

leaving Castlerock, northward to Cheyenne, west on 80, 84, 82, 90, north on 5 to Vancouver for our mid-point. then turn south on 5, east on 90, and south on 25, returning to Castlerock. rough estimate amounts to nearly 3050 miles. i'm working on it. sometimes fuel gets tough to find in Wyo

Bus Henry
    "its boxy, its fast..."

Sounds promising!

I know a Bill Watts in Vancouver and he could probably provide witness(es) and logistics of the area if needed. He signed us in on the TCGold.

The border crossing into Canada should not be taken lightly. I-5 might tack on 45 minutes (although at 2 am it might be no big deal). Bill had us go to the next crossing to the east during daylight hours and we got thru in about 10 minutes.

I'm game for pretty much anything.
    Although as previously stated I'd prefer to avoid the seriously hot temps, should we decide that works best, accessing mid-point witnesses would be easier, including either family or a certain CSC rider in Phoenix,
    i.e, CR to Cali,(better hit it around 3AM) then over to Dietrich's house for leg 1.

I also have contacts in Texas & Ohio & LA as needed.

Henry, any idea what speed we need to maintain for a 21 hour 1500?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Biker";p="268905

any idea what speed we need to maintain for a 21 hour 1500?
    my software has the following settings:
    interstate hwy -- 75mph
    limited access -- 65mph
    other hwys -- 55mph
    arterial roads -- 45mph
    streets -- 35mph

using the route that i described... north stretch was about 21hr 38 min with 8 min fuel stops (4ea)
    I haven't done the south stretch yet ;?}

**what does this weekend offer for a gathering to trial ride and talk the route options ????

**yo**
    bus henry
    "its boxy, its fast..."

Is the answer 71.5 mph overall speed what I'm looking for?
    That extremely difficult, but doable-maybe. I think that only takes into account moving time.
    If we have 7 pit stops @ 8 minutes each, then I think are moving speed needs to be: a whopping 75 mph +.

Wait, now I'm confusing myself. I think the 1st answer is correct & that takes into account everything, as long as we're moving 71.5 miles every hour, we should make the 1st leg in 21 hours.

You can tell I'm a math wiz!

I've never been faster than 70 mph before, but think I've been 68 & sustained that with stops.

I think your 8 minutes is a tad too long. Remember, you do not need to go beyond 250/fillup. Thus I'm certain you should be able to knock some time off that or get smoked by the blistering fast GS, that will look even uglier as it passes you!

Ron, I think you should crash @ Henry's if you're still down in Pueblo. You don't mind snoring do you?

Just a quick post to say I've finally made it to the forum.

I'll go back and re-read all the posts in this thread to get back up to speed, but I'm game for any route we put together.

FYI Will -- Bill Watt is in Vancouver, BC. The other route is Vancouver, WA, across the bridge from Portland, 0R.

KneeDragger (Ron?) -- did you do your CO SS1K this weekend? If not, I'd like to ride it with you.

Dan

Dan, I did my little ride last weekend http://www.star-traxx.com/TripReport...ipID=484416698. I'm always up for a ride and it's only a short running start to do a SS1K in New Mexico, Kansas, or even Wyoming. Speaking of which, Bear Tooth Pass should be opening up in another month of so, I wonder if it survived the winter better than last year...

I'm not sure how I want to handle the start of the big ride. With the clock starting and witnesses at CR it is a toss up between a good nights sleep an hour away at home, or trying to get a good nights sleep away from home. I figure the following night will be tough enough.

HB et al.
    75 mph is the target average that needs to be maintained. yer ugly GS can blow-by if you need to; i'm not too proud! i need my 8 min stops event to make the 250mi/stop.... my gps trip display includes the average speed. that being said, i'll have a good idea when i start to "fall behind" the rest of you. simply said, "I will do the best I can."
    --Hayabusa Henry(w/o Givis this time around)--
    snore central is open to guests,
    "its boxy, its fast..."

Quote Originally Posted by MapMaker";p="269036
    FYI Will -- Bill Watt is in Vancouver, BC. The other route is Vancouver, WA, across the bridge from Portland, 0R.
    Hi Dan!

"leaving Castlerock, northward to Cheyenne, west on 80, 84, 82, 90, north on 5 to Vancouver for our mid-point"

I'm pretty sure Henry was referring to Vancouver, BC, but then again, what the hell do I know...

Hey Dan,

On a separate note, do you still have a track log from our ride across Canada? I'm curious what our overall time was for the first 3000 miles of that ride.

Granted, it was Canada, the pace was slower, lots of cities (and nightmarish traffic in Montreal) and it was pissing down rain for the first 10 hours.

Maybe a time for the last 3000 miles (sans the Regina blunder ) would be better...