Thread: spark plug change

spark plug change

I don't suppose anyone would have some sort of a walkthrough on changing the plugs in a 1996 yamaha yzf600r would they? And also I just briefly looked around but am assuming the plugs are under the gas tank? I bought some ngk plugs and was also wondering what the gap should be on them?

now with bi-turbo goodness Site Admin Mel's Avatar
    *typically* most plugs that you get from the dealership or bike store will be pre-gapped. I am not sure on your specific bike, but on mine (suzuki) you lift gas tank, remove airbox assembly. Then you pop off the little coil cap thingys, and remove the plugs with a socket. I just did new ones in my bike last night, bought NGK's from Performance Cycle and just put them right into the bike (no additional gapping).
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Re: spark plug change

ok, cool. I will have to see what it is going to take to lift off the gas tank and everything. Should be an adventure. LOL!!

..You mentioned taking off the gas tank, its real easy, and there should even be a switch on your tank to keep gas from pouring out.

loosen the bolt that holds your seat down(gas tank edge) and the gas tank swings up. (just a little)I'd suggest proping it up with wood or something small if you can.. reach down to the bottom of the tank and turn the gas switch off (on the very bottom right side...ish) once you do that, you pop the gas line clamp off with needle nose, and if you want to completely remove the tank just unscrew the top bolt. plugs are there, your air box should slide up and out of the way easy too, you may have to losen the clamps a bit, but odds are the box has shook pretty loose by now..

I've got a 97 yzfr, and I've yanked it apart quite a bit. Let me know if you got questions and I'll try and help. I have a manual for the bike but I moved, and its buried. I need it soon for myself so, I'll let you know when I dig it out, or if you come across a PDF, let me know, saves me some digging..

..I suggest plugs from a Yamaha dealer, your plug wires may be bad too..
    ...'97 660 YZFrankenstien bike....

Not sure if your bike is the same as mine but I don't know where that switch is to turn off my gas. I didn't see a switch on the bottom of my tank at all. Don't suppose you happen to have a picture of where that switch is do you? Mine is a 1996 so I don't know if something is different between yours and mine.

probably talking about the fuel petcock, just turn it to on or reserve before removing the line that connects your fuel tank to the bike, if you have it on off all the gas will flow with gravity... (you'll get a little squirt of gas but that's from the unburned fuel that was already in the line.)
    It's a celebration bitches!!! - RIP 502

Motos:
    2003 SV1000N - Dual Yosh RS3 CF Exhaust ••••• 09' Aprilia SR50 (Wife's) ••••• 93' ZX-11 - Sold after 43k Miles
    Cars:
    08' Audi S5 6MT •••• 10' VW TDI Cup Edition 6MT •••• 02' VW TDI Beetle 5MT •••• 07' Ford Explorer

yeah, there ya go the fuel petcock.. my tank is stock and i got one, don't know what they changed in 96-97, but you should have one (thought they were pretty standard on newer bikes?), just follow the gas line to the tank and look right around where it hooks up..maybe its facing a different direction.... the switch (if its the same) is aluminum and kinna big, if you really don't have one you'll have to may have to pinch the line off with some sort of ghetto rig like channel locks and a shirt(shirt so as not to mangle the gas line with the teeth of the channel locks) or an actual line pinching tool, then cut the line and I'd definately suggest getting a switch put in..One specifically for gas.. but I can't see the bike being made without...I'll try and get a pic..-but just.... look harder!

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Not all bikes have them. I have a ducati and it has a fuel shut off, but it's vacuum driven, it only opens when the bike is drawing fuel. Remove the tank and it just shuts itself off.

The YZF should have a petcock, but not all bikes do.

I lifted the tank up but could find that petcock you are talking about all of the lines just go to the bottom of the tank and there is a square piece of metal with 3 or 4 screws on the bottom of the tank. That is all I noticed though.

Do you have a low fuel warning light? That could mean no petcock. This is how my 97 YZF1000 is set up. You just want to stop the gas from running out of the lines. Anything that will pinch the flow off (hemostats, clothes pins, whatever).

Do you know the EXUP Brotherhood? Yamaha specific forum with lots of peeps that own your ride. They may even have a shop manual for download.

http://exupbrotherhood1.com/phpbb2/index.php

Actually, they do have a shop manual.

http://www.exupbrotherhood1.com/brotherhood/YZF750/

I have a low fuel light AND the pettycock, so dunno what that means- A friend of mine mentioned that the handle to your pettycock could be broken off. See if somewhere on that square (or above or near) is a square face with a circle in it and if you look real close you may see where the handle was broken on the cicular part, could be a clean break. I guess some are some sort of plastic. I don't have a way to send you a pic of mine or I would, sorry..