Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chain Lube

Chain Lube

What kind of chain lube do you guys use? I just bought a bike and I think that the chain is in need of a clean and lube. Just wanted to see what you guy recommend.

Re: Chain Lube

Just swing by Performance, they have about 10 different types. I think i use something called "blue label".
    2011 Ducati 848 Evo "Bautista"
    2002 Honda RC-51 "Big Boi"

"Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn!"

now with bi-turbo goodness Site Admin Mel's Avatar
    I use a full Synthetic race lube....
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

I buy a non-fling sprayable, works well, just make sure you warm the chain a little, then spray it on and let it sit 15 minutes before goin anywhere

Oh, and we've all seen pictures of peoples hands after using the shortcut of having the bike running on it's centerstand, please god don't do that
    It's a celebration bitches!!! - RIP 502

Motos:
    2003 SV1000N - Dual Yosh RS3 CF Exhaust ••••• 09' Aprilia SR50 (Wife's) ••••• 93' ZX-11 - Sold after 43k Miles
    Cars:
    08' Audi S5 6MT •••• 10' VW TDI Cup Edition 6MT •••• 02' VW TDI Beetle 5MT •••• 07' Ford Explorer

My son and I have experimented with many chain lubes. I won't bore you with the details but I will give you the results of our tests:

We both use Honda chain lube.

Its virtues:
    It slings off very little lube after it dries.

It contains both PTFE's (teflon) and molybdenum disulfide, 2 of the slickest substances known.

I apply it every 200-300 miles. The act of applying it rinses dirt out of and off of my chain. Using it, I've increased my complete chain cleaning operations interval from every 600 to every 2500 miles, and I still have almost zero chain stretch.

Lee
    2005 Suzuki GSX-R1000 (K5)
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000 (K6) (Wife's bike -> The "Mini-Gixxer")
    2005 Yamaha FJR-1300

If you're riding without a helmet, then you must know that you have nothing to protect.

Where do you get the honda chain lube from?

Performance!

That is the place on broadway right?

Yep, broadway and evans

Quote Originally Posted by zenlakin";p="266993
    What kind of chain lube do you guys use? I just bought a bike and I think that the chain is in need of a clean and lube. Just wanted to see what you guy recommend.
    I don't use it on o-ring chains.
    "For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing....What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?"

zenlakin,

It is important to lube even o-ring chains. In the last year or so, I read an interview with the patent holder and developer of the o-ring chain. He explained that lubing the outside of the chain decreases heat from friction with the sprockets which reduces both wear and stretching. If the chain gets really hot, both wear and stretching are accelerated.

Performance Cycle or any Honda motorcycle dealer will carry Honda chain lube.

Lee
    2005 Yamaha FJR-1300

If you're riding without a helmet, then you must know that you have nothing to protect.

the chain and sprockets need to be lubed. the back of the Busa looks like the Exxon-Valdez but I get at least 10k before replacement!!!

10W-40 applied via the Loobman system

it's not for everybody
    Haya Henry (35k in 2yr 4mos)
    "its boxy, its fast..."

iba#14410 -- 1kss, bbg, 50cc, 2kss, 3kss and b2b_insanity completed -- it has been 4 years.
    UPDATE bbg_insanity will run somewhere btwn APR-JUN 09

Quote Originally Posted by towneh";p="267136
    the chain and sprockets need to be lubed. the back of the Busa looks like the Exxon-Valdez but I get at least 10k before replacement!!!

10W-40 applied via the Loobman system

it's not for everybody
    Haya Henry (35k in 2yr 4mos)
    My chain has never seen lube but does not look like the Exxon-Valdez. I have 11k on it. When I took it in a few weeks ago and I asked the mechanic how the chain looked, he tugged on it said it was fine but a little dry and to put some lube on it. I already knew it was fine because the chain had not stretched and the tolerance according to the manual was fine. It has been my experience in the dirt that the sprockets will wear out before an o-ring chain that has not been lubed.

I believe that people who invent, make, sell chains want to do just that. Sell more chains to make more money. O-rings deteriorate due to uv radiation and chemicals found in almost every chain lube. I have heard arguments from both sides to lube or not to lube. Not to lube is easier, but maybe a little more expensive because I may have to change the chain/sprockets sooner but that is a choice I made (and I am not telling you not to use lube. You asked the question, I told you what I do). My 99 YZ400 that I replaced with an O-ring chain when I first got it is still on the bike as far as I know (itsme bought it from me last year) with no problems. I found not using lube made the sprockets last longer. Street bike is different and I am sure the chain runs hotter. I have not had a street bike with a chain before so this is an experiment for me. I will let you know when my chain and sprockets wear out and we can compare my chain life to those who lube the chain. If it is within a couple thousand miles then I will continue not using lube. If chain life is considerably longer for those who lube, I may change my opinion.
    "For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing....What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?"

In the 05-06 GSX-R 1000 service manual it says to use oil...and specifically says NOT to use commercially available chain lubes.

I had used blue lable chain lube mostly and always cleaned the chain well with kerosene at 3-600 mile intervals before relubing.

When I replaced the chain/sprockets on said bike at 22,000 miles I noticed DID also says to use 90 weight gear oil. This prompted me to try using oil instead of commercially available chain lubes. I think it works well, but have to say it makes a huge mess, so have switched back to blue label.

I think the reason the original chain went bad (it deteriorated very quickly when it decided to go) was because I used brake cleaner to clean the chain before lubing it. I think this got in past the o rings and destroyed the lube within. Within about 300 miles of that cleaning and lube the chain had bad loose/tight spots. I used Honda Lube chain lube a few times during that time. I don't really think the honda lube was the cause of it, but I have a hard time using it because that's what I was using when the chain went bad.

I must also say that during that time, the bike was subjected to over 7000 miles of high speed riding. There were numerous 50 and 60 mile stretches where the speeds DID NOT fall below 150mph. The stretches between were very fast as well. This constant high speed riding could have contributed to the early demise of the chain.

Clean your chain with kerosene. wipe it down well, spin it off, wipe it again and then lube it. Do that every 400 miles and if you used oil or the blue label every time, I am convinced, even on a liter bike, with 530 chain, you will end up with 25-30K out of your chain and sprockets.

I now have over 25K on my K5 1000 and a bunch of those miles are track miles. In some cases the track miles were the slower of them.

Quote Originally Posted by freezincold";p="267150
    In the 05-06 GSX-R 1000 service manual it says to use oil...and specifically says NOT use commercially available chain lube. I used blue lable chain lube mostly, but always clean the chain well with kerosene at 3-600 mile intervals before relubing. When I replaced the chain/sprockets on said bike at 22,000 miles I noticed DID also says to use 90 weight gear oil. This prompted me to try using oil instead of commercially available chain lubes. .
    That is interesting, the Yamaha manual states not to use oil but to only use lube designed specifically for O-ring chains. I was planning to replace chain and sprockets at 20,000 miles anyway. It will be interesting to see if I have any stretch or sprocket wear between now and then.

I have read a number of articles on line. One states that o-rings leak lubrication after 4000 miles and require soaking to get oil back into them. If that were the case, I think my chain would be shot by now. I have read that you should soak a chain in kerosene but that would seem to penetrate the o-ring and break down the lubrication even faster. One article suggests that chain heat causes lubrication to leak out of o-ring chains and the temp should not exceed 165 degrees. My chain has not been lubed so I would think it would run hotter than everyone else’s chain and I have no lube because it has leaked out. Non o-ring chains that have not been lubed will wear out in as little as 6000-8000 miles so again my chain should be completely shot (and maybe it is but I have noticed no stretch). One article suggested that x-ring chains were superior and that o-rings loose all lubrication after 4k miles. Which again would make you think,, well I don't know what to think so I will continue my experiment and if my chain makes it to 20,000 miles with no visible signs of sprocket or chain wear, I will change them out at that time. Even if I lubed and took care of my chain like some here, I would still want to change my chain before 30,000.

I would like to know how often racers replace chain and sprocket.

See my next post, below.

Lee
    2005 Yamaha FJR-1300

In the 05-06 GSX-R 1000 service manual it says to use oil...and specifically says NOT use commercially available chain lube.
    K5 Suzuki Owner's Manual, Page 7-23, right column, bottom paragraph, item 2:
    "Allow the chain to dry, then lubricate the links with Suzuki chain lube or an equivalent."

I wonder why the service manual would seem to contradict the owner's manual?

Lee
    2005 Yamaha FJR-1300

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R1chie";p="267156
    I would like to know how often racers replace chain and sprocket.
    Depends on the racer, depends on the bike. Sprockets - usually when they show signs of wear. Chains - usually at least once a season. More friction means you go slower, so racers like to free up as much power as possible. Look at the top guys in RoR, you will see pristine chains (usually new). When you're in it for money, every bit helps.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

what the heck is chain lube? I have some nice brownish red colored stuff on there. if it aint broke, don't fix it

Leroy Brown

Silicone spray in copious amounts to clean the old residue off - lots of rags helps - then 90 weight gear oil. Yeah... it slings a bit more than the waxes but wipes right off with WD-40 - from the fenders and such.

I was a firm believer in waxes until I tried to clean wax/dirt off the chain to relube. OMG!!!

I use kerosene to clean the chain, let it dry, wipe it down, and then I use Royal Purple Synthetic Motor Oil. Works great. I am wondering if I should use a straight 30w oil, last used 5w30, maybe I will go with 20w50. I did try some shit copowersports recommended, looked like bike wad, so I bought a gallon of kerosene for Lodes (Lowes) and had a cleaning brush and a drip pan and cleaned that chain like it owed me money! ( on a woodcraft lift) and slowly oiled that chain like it was going to save my life, not to make a mess, that chain is silent now, sounds sweet when compared to before.

I'll get the page numbers of both the service and owners manuals for the suzuki. I have my 04 R1 service manual from last year with me too...so I'll check that out for what is recommended there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee";p="268645
    In the 05-06 GSX-R 1000 service manual it says to use oil...and specifically says NOT use commercially available chain lube.
    K5 Suzuki Owner's Manual, Page 7-23, right column, bottom paragraph, item 2:
    "Allow the chain to dry, then lubricate the links with Suzuki chain lube or an equivalent."

I wonder why the service manual would seem to contradict the owner's manual?

Lee

Because diesel and kerosene have similar flash points and evaporative characteristics, I have been using diesel (instead of kerosene) to clean my chains for years without any problems or reduced longevity.

Lee
    2005 Yamaha FJR-1300

I need to put a chain on, should I take it to a shop and buy one/ have them put it on for me? or will they not lube it and make sure its good?