Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chain Lube

now with bi-turbo goodness Site Admin Mel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly boy";p="268650
    what the heck is chain lube? I have some nice brownish red colored stuff on there. if it aint broke, don't fix it
    So when the chain snaps and takes out your leg because it wasn't maintained, can you refer to yourself as something other than n00b?

Quote Originally Posted by Fly boy";p="270162
    I need to put a chain on, should I take it to a shop and buy one/ have them put it on for me? or will they not lube it and make sure its good?
    Not sure what you are asking here. Unless you have a chain tool, you are not really going to be able to do it youself. As for the shop, any good shop is going to make sure it is taken care of properly...not sure what you mean by making sure it is good and lubed (if you buy a new one, obviously it is good).
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Re: Chain Lube

O-Ring chains are a marvelous thing. The interior of the chain comes lubricated from the factory and this grease is held in by a bunch of little o Rings at the plates. A common misconception is that because there is lubrication in the chain it does not need to be otherwise cared for. Cleaning the chain with diesel or kerosene prevents dirt from building up on the chain and damaging the o-rings. From there some lubrication is required as corrosion protection for the chain and to reduce the wear on the sprockets.

Fly Boy- Putting on a new chain isn't hard. If the one on your bike came from the factory, getting the old one off may be a trick. Most aftermarket chains come with a Master Link to make it easy to install and remove. If you change the chain you should probably also change the sprockets on your bike as the two components wear together with use. If you only had a few thousand miles on that would be one thing, but if you have a bunch of miles on the bike the sprockets are worn enough that they may not work well with a new chain. As far as making sure it's "good and lubed" see the post about o-ring chains above. It comes from the factory lubed, but the care of a drive chain is an ongoing maintenance task, much like changing your oil. Check for cleanliness, lubrication and tension every 300-400 miles and your bike will thank you.

Scott

I have been using diesel some of the time too. I just MT'ed the gallon of kerosene I had...wich means I am now switched back to diesel.

Ok...I think all manufacturers say to clean with kerosene...but here are lube suggestions from the service manuals I have:

from my 05 GSX-R 1000 service manual pg 2-22: After washing (with kerosene) and drying the chain, oil it with a heavyweight motor oil-
    CAUTION
    * do not use any oil sold commercially as "drive chain oil" such oil can damage the o-rings.
    *the standard drive chain is DID530 V9. Suzuki recommends to use this standard drive chain as a replacement".

On the packaging of the DID 530 chain I put on my bike, it says for maximum service life of the chain to use ONLY 90 weight oil to lubricate the chain with.

from my 04 YZF R1 Service Manual pg 3-50:

"wipe the drive chain dry (of kerosene) and thorouhgly lubricate it with ENGINE OIL or chain lubricant that is suitable for o-ring chains. Do not use any other lubricants on the drive chain since they may contain solvents that could damage the o-rings"

On pgs 7-23 and 7-24 of the 05 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 service manual Lee has the correct quotes from that above.

As stated, I quit using the 90 weight cause it was too messy. I do think it lubricated the best-with the least amound of stiction or drag too.

You will have a hell of a time soaking a chain in kerosene, oil or anyh other fluid unless you break it with a tool to remove it. That would be a pain in the ass.

If you are going to change chains more than a few times...try and find someone with a chain tool or buy one. They are a little over a hundred bucks, but if a bike shops can learn to do it..you can too. Just remember it could be your ass if the chain fails.

:

Quote Originally Posted by Lee";p="270115
    Because diesel and kerosene have similar flash points and evaporative characteristics, I have been using diesel (instead of kerosene) to clean my chains for years without any problems or reduced longevity.

Lee