Thread: Older GSXR

Older GSXR

I was talking with Snatty, and starting thinking that I might want to buy an Older Gixx. was curious if they are worth buying. I was thinking Pre-2001/2 and either 600 or 750. I want to know if I find a good price is it worth buying? How comfy are they, are they too tall for me, I'm 5'6" 150. it was this or save up and buy a newer f4i or RR(getting a honda for the comfort for long rides.)

Is an Older Gixx worth buying for a second bike. I would have an F2 and and older Gixx. Comments and normal yaking accepted. Thanks

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly boy";p="267974
    2000 Ford Ranger XLT - It needs a name
    Xtra Large Tonka
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar
    Xcellent Lowrange Torque
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

I brought all my shoes and all my glasses so I would have them
    If i were you i would look for something that is fuel injected. once you've gone FI you'll never look back at carbs of the ol' days again.
    ~Travis~
    It's okay...I'm a Doctor.
    Originally Posted by Keyser Soze
    Everybody on CSC knows everything
    2003 GSX-R600 - Former Love
    2003 Kawasaki ZX6R - Former Love
    1999 Suzuki TL1000R - Former Love
    2004 DRZ400E - New Dirty
    2002 KFX 650 - Quad

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~";p="267976
    Xcellent Lowrange Torque
    theres no Xcellent in the engine for that truck. its WWAAAAAYYYYYY underpowered. had to sell a 4-wheeler because of it.

So you'd have an older gixxer and an EVEN OLDER F2?
    My .02, track prep the f2(keep it naked for now, you'd just have to pay to fix your race plastics when you wreck)and get the RR. You said you wanted to track the F2, if you get the older gixxer, you're still going to want a newer bike. cut out the gixxer and put that 3-4 grand towards your new bike.
    And who buys a honda nowadays?!?!?
    99 GSXR600 & 96 Pathfinder - Gixxer was killed, Pathfinder was sold.

'03 Kawi 636

can't really track the F2... theres no track near me I just like the looks/uniqness of an older Gix with mods.

Okay cycle monkey...this isn't the 80's or 90's...it's '06...you can find something reasonable that has everything you want for a good price, and for much better technology ie: brakes, suspension, FI.
    ~Travis~
    2004 DRZ400E - New Dirty
    2002 KFX 650 - Quad

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Joe Siphek";p="267982
    Okay cycle monkey...this isn't the 80's or 90's...it's '06...you can find something reasonable that has everything you want for a good price, and for much better technology ie: brakes, suspension, FI.
    thats why I posted, or should I stick with saving for an f4i/RR

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Re: Older GSXR

My advice?

Ride thr purple and pink until you have the money to buy your new RR. Don't let anyone here tell you differently, the 600rr is a serious bike with a serious seating position, not "comfort for the long rides" material. The F4i could fit into that category, but is still way more bike than the purp and pink ever could be.

I've ridden a 600rr for some track time and came away seriously impressed, good low end power for a 600 and a tach that seems to keep turning clockwise forever.

Not that older GSXR's are bad bikes, but I agree with the statement above about going for something with FI, you never will want to go back.

Good luck

Scott

XLT--xtremely low torque?

BTW...eXtremely Lame Truck???
    ~Travis~
    2004 DRZ400E - New Dirty
    2002 KFX 650 - Quad

Quote Originally Posted by RYBO";p="267984
    My advice?

The F4i could fit into that category, but is still way more bike than the purp and pink ever could be.
    thats why I put the f4i into the catagory. it was either a FI R6, f4i for comfort, or RR. I guess I just got a wild hair and thought of the older gsxr - think after the few helpful posts I will stick with the f4i.

Site Admin

The F4I is a very nice bike, I don't think you could go wrong. Get it, spend $500 to take Jason Pridmore's Star School at Pueblo in May and feel free to pass 95% of all guys on RR's, R6's ,GSXR 1000's etc.......

Later!

Quote Originally Posted by RYBO";p="267994
    The F4I is a very nice bike, I don't think you could go wrong. Get it, spend $500 to take Jason Pridmore's Star School at Pueblo in May and feel free to pass 95% of all guys on RR's, R6's ,GSXR 1000's etc.......

Later!
    pass em on the purple and pink I am looking into sliders now, and in june hit the track... I hope. Need to burrow a suit for the day.

Site Admin

I'd offer up mine, but you would swim in it......5'10" 185lbs

Let me know when you're heading to the track, I'm almost always up for a track day.

Quote Originally Posted by RYBO";p="267998
    I'd offer up mine, but you would swim in it......5'10" 185lbs

Let me know when you're heading to the track, I'm almost always up for a track day.
    thanks for the offer. I would just be hitting up IMI just to say that I have been on a track.... nothen fancy, just a fun couple hours maybe to get a knee down once.

Site Admin

I work about 10 miles from IMI and head out there from time to time. I think it's a great first track and a lot of fun for improving skills in a controlled environment. I would almost certainly be able to meet you there after work on just about any day. Just give me a heads up. It's good cheap fun.

You don't need a full suit there, a good textile jacket that zips to a good pair of textile pants would be adequate for your experience there. make sure to have good boots, gloves and helmet. Top speed on that track is 70ish, most corners are in the 20s and 30s.

I have a pair of "experienced" track boots in size 9 you would be welcome to have if you wanted them. They are a bit old and have been crashed a couple of times, but still have plenty of life in them....AGV 580's in grey and black. Just let me know

Scott

F4i's really are great bikes, Ben. I would say get a newer one, as opposed to an old carb'd Gix. Sell your current one, save your cash, both, whatever...

I don't know what it is with Honda 600's, but I've ridden a few over the years, and A.) they're silly comfortable, and B.) if you can ride a lick, they are actually damn easy to get to go quick. The F4i's kinda disgust me that way. Oh!... and fuel injection is the new black.

HONDA
    Easy To Go Fast On!...
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

well then I guess I will just have to keep saving for the F4i. any perticular year? I know in 2001 is when they started FI. so I was thinking of getting an 02.

Get the newest one that fits your budget.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Site Admin

I would agree for the most part. They "detuned" the F4I a little when the 600RR was introduced, so I would look for an 02 as that was the last year the F4i was their top supersport bike. In 03 it got higher rise bars, and more conservative tuning.

Damn, I've gotten to use "detuned" in two seperate threads today. Barn would be proud!

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~";p="268031
    Get the newest one that fits your budget.

I'm wicked proud.

[Jimmy Falon]"Tell me you got that!!!" [/Jimmy Falon]

Sounds like the '02 is the one to get Ben Jammin'.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

thanks all for the advice.... now to keep saving and convince the wiff I NEED the bike maybe this summer I will have a new toy.

Site Admin

Super,

Get in touch with me about the track day and the boots.

Later!