Thread: New tires - break in procedure

New tires - break in procedure

Hey all! Getting some new Michelin Pilot Powers put on my SV this afternoon - very excited. Have heard great things about these tires!

As I am new to riding (1 year) and this is my first new set, can I get some tips on the proper break in procedure for new tires? I know people have talked about "scrubbing in" their tires. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
    Neal
    "Look, Maude, I'm sorry your step-mom's a nympho...ahhh, you got any Kahlua?" -The Dude

2003 Suzuki SV650S - Silver

now with bi-turbo goodness Site Admin Mel's Avatar
    Tires are a lil slick when you first get them on. "scrubbing in" would just be the process of riding on them to get the slick stuff off before you go all hog wild with them. Just take it easy for a lil bit (a weeK?) and you will be just fine.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar
    What'up Neal!

Yeah... Tires have a EDIT: "releasing agent" on them, when they are new. You'll be fine so long as you don't take any full zoot corners at lean.

It'll be all be off in 50/60/80 miles or so, and then you can hammer on them.

More than anything, keep up on your tire pressure. I'm sure you realize this though. 37f/38r is what the Michelin guys were recommending for the Pilot Powers, out at Miller. If you gonna have a passenger or something though, bump that up a couple 2 or 3 pounds.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar
    It's a release compound -- has nothing to do with preservation. It is used to release the tire from the mold at the factory.

You can 'scrub' in a tire in a matter of a few miles. It shouldn't take you a week --- unless you don't ride the machine at all.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

now with bi-turbo goodness Site Admin Mel's Avatar
    I meant to put a day....teach me for posting and talking on the phone at the same time.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Re: New tires - break in procedure

Also realize that if you ride the highway for 100 miles that doesn't scrub off all of the release agent, only the stuff in the middle of the tire, the edges will still be slippery. A good way to scrub the edges in is to find a parking lot where you can lean the bike over pretty far while making short turns. Once you roll over the ground with every part of the tire the release agent will be worn off and you'll be good to go!

Thanks for the advice guys! Much appreciated! Maybe I'll see some of you out riding this weekend!
    "Look, Maude, I'm sorry your step-mom's a nympho...ahhh, you got any Kahlua?" -The Dude

Site Admin

No worries Neal, have fun out there. I'll be riding this weekend, I'll keep my eyes peeled for your silver SV....I'll be on a red 748 and Sarah will be on a blue hawk with pink flames!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja";p="268217
    It's a release compound -- has nothing to do with preservation. It is used to release the tire from the mold at the factory.
    Ah ha! Thanks for the correction. I figured it was protectant for the rubber during its transit, storage, etc...

Why the heck don't the manufs run the tires a couple of rotations through some sort of an abrasive "scrubbing machine" or something then?

You'd think it'd be a nice selling-point to know that XYZ Tire, comes "residue free" or "pre-scrubbed for immediate performance use".

~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Site Admin

I will be happy to offer my high quality "tire break in service" to anyone who is interested. For the small price of a hour's track time I will be happy to assure that all of the release compound is removed from your tires. All you have to do is provide your bike, new tires mounted to me and I will return it with no release compound remaining on the tires. A full tank of gas would be appreciated, but not required

I brought all my shoes and all my glasses so I would have them
    37f/38r seems kinda high? are you barn?

I typically run 33f/34r...that's what i've been told?
    ~Travis~
    It's okay...I'm a Doctor.
    Originally Posted by Keyser Soze
    Everybody on CSC knows everything
    2003 GSX-R600 - Former Love
    2003 Kawasaki ZX6R - Former Love
    1999 Suzuki TL1000R - Former Love
    2004 DRZ400E - New Dirty
    2002 KFX 650 - Quad

Oh well then I'll be right over RYBO...hehehhehe

I'll see what the guys at TFOG say about tire pressure, but I've hear you should follow what's on the bike instructions for pressure pretty closely.

I have read that tire break-in requires scrubing off mold release agent, scuffing the rubber to roughen it, and a couple of heat cycles to make the tire perform safely and to its highest potential.

When I have a new set of tires mounted, I head to a church parking lot near where I live that has particularly high quality, very rough asphalt. Then, I begin to ride in large diameter circles, ~5 minutes to the left, ~5 minutes to the right. I start by leaning slightly and end by leaning as far as I can. It might look like a circus stunt to an outsider, as I lean the bike one way and lean myself the opposite direction, to maximize the bike's lean at low velocity.

This process completely removes the mold release agent from the tire sidewalls and also roughens them significantly. It takes my "chicken lines" up to about 1-1.5 inches from the end of the tires' tread.

At this point, I don't have to worry about a slide and a fall because of slick tires. The rest of the break-in (~100 miles) is taken care of by aggressive street riding.

Lee
    2005 Suzuki GSX-R1000 (K5)
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000 (K6) (Wife's bike -> The "Mini-Gixxer")
    2005 Yamaha FJR-1300

If you're riding without a helmet, then you must know that you have nothing to protect.

Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Joe Siphek";p="268253
    37f/38r seems kinda high? are you barn?

I was surprised about the high pressures too, but that is what Michelin is recommending for these tires. Seemed really high to me too, but the bike rides great at those pressures.

Neal, for Michelin advice give Mark at Vanmar racing a call, his number is (303) 944-0333. He is a super nice guy who will give you the right answer. Nothing against the TFOG guys, they are great for sure, but I don't think they are a michelin dealer, so may not have the best info about pilot powers.

Scott

37/38 is the golden ticket. I too was surprised by the figures, but since they're not race carcasses, I can see how this makes sense.

The tires performed flawlessly. I shit you not.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

I got Pilot Powers put on a few days ago. And just took it out to Turkey Creek Rd. Im hoping they are broke in... they were an amazing feel. I have to admit, i have much more confidence around the corners. I still have lots to learn, but they were a blast and sure did help my riding. You will love them. Have an awesome time. Ride safe.

Aaron
    '08 Suzuki GSXR600

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar
    "Go that way... REALLY fast.... if something gets in your way.... turn"
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Thanks for the helpful advice! Got the tires on yesterday and the guys at TFOG gave me the same advice. Said it was a wax that allows the tires to get out of the mold at the factory.

Took the bike to an old abandoned Target parking lot off Colfax and Kipling. Did some circles in both directions, increasing lean. Tires performed flawlessly. Im with you Aaron, I feel extremely confident with these tires. My old stock ones would slip out a little. These stuck to the pavement very well. Also took the opportunity to practice some quick stops while I was there. Excellent place to do so. Would highly recommend the lot for practice. Very little debris, pavement in excellent condition, fairly open spaces.

Thanks again for the help!

Neal

Neal,

What tires did you finally decide on?

Lee
    2005 Suzuki GSX-R1000 (K5)
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000 (K6) (Wife's bike -> The "Mini-Gixxer")
    2005 Yamaha FJR-1300

If you're riding without a helmet, then you must know that you have nothing to protect.

when i get a new tire (or set of tires) mounted up, i try to take it easy for at least the first 15 minutes or so, then i just go riding til it's worn out and needs replacing.

i run the front at 40lbs and the rear at 42lbs and the bike handles just fine for the street/canyon with that break in and those pressures. YMMV
    Jeff Black
    Littleton, CO

Currently bikeless, but will be BMW shopping again come springtime.

Lee,

Got myself a set of Michelin Pilot Powers. So far performing flawlessly - very good traction. I feel very stable with them (could just be a psychological thing) - dont feel my back end pulling out on turns as I did slightly with my stock tires. Would highly recommend. Guys at TFOG had me in and out in an hour and prices were rock bottom. Would highly recommend their shop!