Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HEADS UP-Anyone that rides Hwy 67 (Deckers)

Loopty
    Pronounced with an "oopty"

HEADS UP-Anyone that rides Hwy 67 (Deckers)

I heard from some Harley folks at work that there are unmarked "Crotch-rockets" (could be a BMW for all I know, this is coming from Harley riders ) with cops riding 2-up (male/female) trying to get bikers to speed!!! They went flying by the Harley riders and later they saw that it was CSP officers, chatting with another officer in a CSP car that was waiting for them down the road. The bike had very small/hidden blue/red lights on it!!! This sounds like entrapment to me, but I'd rather not have to deal with it all. Be on the lookout guys, these guys are sneaky!!!
    MRA 33 (Retired)
    502- RIP my brother

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar
    Carry some tacks in your tank bag. As you are motoring away infront of them --- dump the tacks out under their front tire
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja";p="268991
    Carry some tacks in your tank bag. As you are motoring away infront of them --- dump the tacks out under their front tire
    Now that's not the nice way to play with others!?
    It would suck to roll over stop sticks...on a bike or car for that matter.
    It works! Slow in, Fast out
    "Sarcasm is difficult to convey on the internet, especially if the people reading it don't know you personally". By Spiderman
    Neither irony nor sarcasm is argument. By Rufus Choate
    Be smart, be nice, do what'cha love and always have fun.
    Let food be your medicine, and medicine be your food. - Hippocrates
    I will use treatment to help the sick. I will never use it to injure them or wrong them. I will not give poison to anyone. - The Hippocratic Oath

There is a CSP on a BMW motorcycle that regularly patrols Highway 24 between Woodland Park and Colorado Springs. He is generally using K or Ka band radar if he is sitting beside the road. I have also seen him on Highway 115 between Colorado Springs and Penrose (Highway 50).

I also saw a CSP on a Harley (an unusual sight) in Penrose (Highway 115) on Saturday, April 22nd. I was 15 feet from him, moving the same direction, at one point.

Going West, from Colorado Springs to Woodland Park, just a couple of hundred yards after the big stoplight at the entrance to the road to Pikes Peak and the North Pole, my LIDAR detector frequently goes off. The speed limit is 50 there. I have never been able to spot the source of the LIDAR.

Additionally, CSP and sometimes Woodland Park police presence has become very heavy on Highway 24, so much so that I don't speed much there right now.

But, look on the bright side: There are only so many CSPs and if you know where a lot of them are, then you probably also know where a lot of them aren't - everywhere else.

Lee
    2005 Suzuki GSX-R1000 (K5)
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000 (K6) (Wife's bike -> The "Mini-Gixxer")
    2005 Yamaha FJR-1300

If you're riding without a helmet, then you must know that you have nothing to protect.

Quote Originally Posted by dapper";p="269006
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja";p="268991
    Now that's not the nice way to play with others!?
    It would suck to roll over stop sticks...on a bike or car for that matter.
    I don't play with cops.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

Re: HEADS UP-Anyone that rides Hwy 67 (Deckers)

Thanks for the heads up... We were all warned, thankfully, last weekend by approaching cars flashing headlights of a pork chop patrol hiding along the straight before hp hill. F cops.
    2011 Ducati Multistrada 1200
    04 R1... it looked fast for a reason (gone)

We saw them too. The BMW and the state patrol car were between the golf course and manitou lake, the bike pulled a u turn to catch up to some riders heading back to Woodland park. I was told by someone coming the other way there was another waiting a few miles after going up horsepower hill. If you are going to ride on the weekends make sure you know where they are or have a radar detector.
    "For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing....What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?"

Quote Originally Posted by R1chie";p="269186
    If you are going to ride on the weekends make sure you know where they are or have a radar detector.
    Why? Isn't it legal to ride by a cop at the speed limit anymore? You guys aren't insinuating that anyone around here actually breaks the LAW sometimes?

I have also noticed that enforcement tends to be a little lax on Sunday mornings, then intensifies midday.

Lee
    2005 Suzuki GSX-R1000 (K5)
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000 (K6) (Wife's bike -> The "Mini-Gixxer")
    2005 Yamaha FJR-1300

If you're riding without a helmet, then you must know that you have nothing to protect.

Quote Originally Posted by onepoorstunna";p="269191
    Quote Originally Posted by R1chie";p="269186
    If you are going to ride on the weekends make sure you know where they are or have a radar detector.
    Why? Isn't it legal to ride by a cop at the speed limit anymore? You guys aren't insinuating that anyone around here actually breaks the LAW sometimes?
    The warning wasn't for people who drive the speed limit. If you drive the speed limit, you don't have to worry about the cops. The reason people usually buy high performance vehicles is to go fast, if you bought yours to stunt, that is breaking the law too. If for some other reason, that is fine too.
    "For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing....What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?"

Quote Originally Posted by Lee";p="269192
    I have also noticed that enforcement tends to be a little lax on Sunday mornings, then intensifies midday.

Lee
    That's usually when the Dognut Mill in Woodland Prk is firing up the fresh bear claws.

I just stay away from 67 anymore. Seems like a heavily patrolled route.
    My name is Karl, ich bin expert

There are so many other finer roads in Colorado that the CSP doesn't patrol ---- but I'll keep them to myself thank you

Hey Jeff, how about Road ### Now that road rocks. What time the grill firing up on Sun?.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja";p="269298
    There are so many other finer roads in Colorado that the CSP doesn't patrol ---- but I'll keep them to myself thank you
    Yup I gave up riding Deckers last year after being pulled over and harrassed. That road has been targeted for a while now. Sucks becuase it was a good road to ride, but I will go elsewhere now because of all the cops.

Thanks for the warning Hoopty
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jahags";p="269304
    Hey Jeff, how about Road ### Now that road rocks. What time the grill firing up on Sun?.
    1PM And that road ##### was the BOMB huh?

I would resist this road, take it easy, or ride it very early in the morning or on a weekday.

Since the separate fatalities of last summer, Jeffco assigned a full time sheriff to patrol the area (Pick-up truck with ATV in back). This year, enforcement has been kicked up even higher with two motorcops the past couple of Sundays.

FWIW, five of us passed the motorcops at speed several Sundays ago, as they were in formation coming the other way. They just kept going as if they didn't even notice us.

I mentioned to the owner of the Deckers store, whom I know, to mention to the LEO's their presence is beginning to take a toll on two wheeled visits to the community and store.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee";p="269015
    But, look on the bright side: There are only so many CSPs and if you know where a lot of them are, then you probably also know where a lot of them aren't - everywhere else.
    Or you could just all do the speed limit!?

"Beauty before anger" ~ Cat118!

You ride a Busa, Ree... the speed "limit" doesn't exist for you. :P

In the heat of the summer I avoid Deckers like the plague. At other times during the year it's hardly patrolled at all and so I'll ride it. There are far better roads in CO than 67, anyway (92, 149, 65, 133, 141, etc) and that's where I run mostly in the summer: virtually zero cops and great twisties for hours.

BUT if I were to encounter a BMW R-RTP on HP Hill, it will NOT catch me. I can run the hill faster than the RTP's top end at sea level, on flat ground As a Beemer rider I know what that bike can do and hang with an R11S with a competent pilot is NOT one of them. (not that I'd ever run - it always enters my mind briefly... right before I pull the hell over )
    Jeff Black
    Littleton, CO

Currently bikeless, but will be BMW shopping again come springtime.

FWIW, On the Deckers Rd. today (Saturday) with two others, from Pine Junction all the way to Woodland Park, and later, a return. The cooler temps must have kept everyone away. No traffic, no sand, no enforcement. Sweet and safe and fun ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista Black";p="269394
    You ride a Busa, Ree... the speed "limit" doesn't exist for you. :P

So THATS why i havent been able to stay within the speed limit...... should have been a disclaimer sticker on the tank.... lol

06 DR650SE

Motorcycles are fast.
    Proud Sponsor/pit crew to: -PUCK-MRA #719
    R.I.P 502

and dangerous... dont forget dangerous!!
    Jeff Black
    Littleton, CO

now with bi-turbo goodness Site Admin Mel's Avatar
    All you silly boys and your talk of "horsepower"....
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

i only talk about HP to say almost no one uses what they've got... unless you're talking about the hill...
    Jeff Black
    Littleton, CO