Thread: Need some advice

Need some advice

Hi ... haven't posted in a while but I check the forums from time to time and still keep in touch with various CSC'ers.

On Sunday I was riding down 470 coming home on my 2001 GSX-R 600 when I went to shift up and something happened ... not sure what, but it put the bike in nuetral and I couldn't get it back out. Pulled over to the side and could not get it to change gears, plus when you rev the engine now there's a pretty vicious metallic clanging sound coming from it.

The two mechanics I've talked to told me three things. One, tranny/motor, two it would take them a month to do an engine tear-down right now, and three, we're looking at $1k+.

So, I can spend a minimum of 25% of what I paid for this thing to fix it and miss at least a month of riding, or I can upgrade it, something I've debated doing before this happened for a few years. And therein lies the questions:

(1) I'm assuming even with the engine blown the bike is worth something (chasis, farings, etc.). How much would an engine-less 2001 GSX-R 600 go for?

(2) One thing I really disliked about the Gix was that at 5'10" I always found the ergonomics on the bike (i.e., the lean) really uncomfortable, and I've been told of others with similar experiences. For those of you who own Aprillia's, R1's and CBR's, how comfortable are your bikes to you? Is there one known more for riding comfort than others?

(3) The only bikes I've ever purchased have been used from friends, so if I go the new ride route I'm at a minor loss with how much wiggle room are in showroom prices. Any tips or good threads here that I'm not seeing via search on dealing with the salespeople at Fay or Grand Prix?

Thanks in advance,

-R
    '06 GSX-R 1000
    We have here a message from the National Pancake Institute: F--k Waffles
    "Whoa, lady, I only speak two languages, English & bad English." -- Korben Dallas

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar
    Hey Rich...

Compared to R1's and RSV's, a CBR is like a couch. But keep in mind you can always put on heli bar clipons, to bring things up and back towards you. Should help in the "comfort" aspect, on any machine.

I'm not sure what your bike would go for, engineless. You could probably make some decent cash, parting it out.

As far as buying new bikes go, the only rule I've ever lived by is "Don't pay more than MSRP".

I'm sure there are plenty of people who have definitely gotten deals, but that's just been my rule. Ofcourse all the bikes I've ever purchased have been under "waitlist" circumstances, and this may or may-not be your situation.

Good luck bro... And congrats on whatever new rig you end up getting!
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

now with bi-turbo goodness Site Admin Mel's Avatar
    Hey Hey.
    I think I kinda sorta started to talk to ya yesterday...before you decide too much on what to do, call me (and listen to your voice mail!)
    You will probably get vastly varying information on what the bike is "worth" as a rolling chassis. A dealership would probably give you no more than $500. Assuming it has no been wrecked, stunted, abused, etc., and it has a clear title, good frame and perfect plastics, the bike would be worth a little more than that to someone with the knowledge to fix it, but to do a rebuild and do a kick ass motor, I was told that is as much as $1500.

As for what else is comfortable, your best bet is to go sit on them and see what you think. Most of the major 4 sport bikes (talking Ninjas, CBR, R's, and Gix) they are all to the point that they have very similar stances that you may not like. There are other options, like FJR's which sit more upright and have a little less fairing, but basically still an R1 motor.

As for dealerships, I know the finance manager at Grand Prix (if it is still the same guy) was a putz and tried to screw over a couple friends (I can tell ya my personal story if you call me). Twin Peaks has many loyal followers, and Chris (duc'nit, cruising chris, etc.) has bought two bikes in the last year from Fay's brand new and been quite thrilled with his purchases...I can get you in touch with him for who he went through if you like.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beotch
    There are other options, like FJR's which sit more upright and have a little less fairing, but basically still an R1 motor.

Hey Mel... An FJR is a supersport touring machine, and has a 1298cc engine, not a 998cc R1 engine. Oh yeah... lot's more fairing, too.

You are thinking of an FZ1.

Get a second opinion Rich! SECOND OPINION!!!

~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~";p="272277

Hey Mel... An FJR is a supersport touring machine, and has a 1298cc engine, not a 998cc R1 engine. Oh yeah... lot's more fairing, too.

You are thinking of an FZ1.

Get a second opinion Rich! SECOND OPINION!!!

DAMNIT! That is what I get for doing a phone interview and posting on CSC at the same time!
    Kaileas day care lady's husband has an FJR which he loves and says quite comfy for two people. FZ1 is what several other people I know have that is like an R1. My bad

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin
    I would strongly advise a second opinion. Have the guys at TK take a look at it and let you know what they think. I might suggest that you COULD have a clutch problem causing the viscious clanking sound and preventing you from shifting the bike. Even if you got a new bike you could get this one fixed and sell it later or (better yet!) have a track bike!

Anyways, give TK a call, I've always been impressed wtih their work and the pricing is fair.

A more knowledgable person that I also explained some things about that bike to me, and if a shift fork broke, it would explain the symptom, and a peice could have traveled into the oil valley. Or something like that