Thread: An Encounter With the CSP

An Encounter With the CSP

My wife and I were returning to Colorado Springs East bound on Highway 24 from a 3+ hour ride. We had already seen a high level of law enforcement on Highway 24 and were carefully doing about 5 mph over the speed limit when we passed a CSP cruiser sitting in the median. We thought nothing of it. But, about a mile later, we saw telltale blue and red lights behind us and that same cruiser making his way through traffic. Like other vehicles behind us, we pulled over into the right lane to let him pass but he didn't. He caught up with and paced me. So, finally, thinking I was going to get a speeding ticket for 5 mph over, I pulled over, the officer pulled over behind me, and my wife pulled over behind his cruiser.

He got out of his Crown Victoria and walked up to me. Before he could speak, I raised my visor and told him that I had earplugs in and I wouldn't be able to hear him until I took my helmet off. He looked at my wife and her bike behind his cruiser and asked me, "Is that your friend?”. I said, "No, that's my wife." He had a visible reaction to that.

I pulled my helmet off and he had another visible reaction. My helmet off and earplugs out, he said he'd stopped me because of my license plate. It was mounted in such a way as other sportbike riders mount them to evade law enforcement and to run from him. I explained that I only had mine mounted that way for aesthetics and aerodynamics. He remarked that we didn't look like the kind of people that would run. I assured him, we weren’t.

He asked for our driver's licenses, noted our plate numbers, and went to his cruiser for a couple of minutes. Then he emerged smiling. As he approached us, he said, "I hope you aren't offended by me saying this but you're the oldest people I've ever stopped on these kind of motorcycles." We all laughed at that. He went on to say that our tire wear marks (chicken lines) were much farther out than any he normally sees, that most young people's tires are worn only in the middle, no wear at all on the sides.

He also told us about the young people on sportbikes that outrun and attempt to outrun him, a fairly common occurrence. I was surprised to hear that these events happened frequently for him.

He was a gentleman and owns an '04 GSX-R750; he knows what these bikes are for and what we do with them.

Lee
    2005 Suzuki GSX-R1000 (K5)
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000 (K6) (Wife's bike -> The "Mini-Gixxer")
    2005 Yamaha FJR-1300

If you're riding without a helmet, then you must know that you have nothing to protect.

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar
    Cops suck. (Except for SpArKy)
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

SpArKy, a cop? I thought SpArKy was a fireman.

Lee
    2005 Suzuki GSX-R1000 (K5)
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000 (K6) (Wife's bike -> The "Mini-Gixxer")
    2005 Yamaha FJR-1300

If you're riding without a helmet, then you must know that you have nothing to protect.

Sparky sucks. The rest of the cops are OK.

You'll change your tune the next time you get popped. COPS SUCK (Except for SpArKy)
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

What?!?!? I've only had like 10-12 tickets in about 12 years. yeah, cops suck. Sparky the most.

Why so harsh Doug? It must be your mother dropped you in infancy.

No his mother beat him with his brother josh...and then josh would kick him in the ribs for having to be used as a weapon...
    It's a celebration bitches!!! - RIP 502

Motos:
    2003 SV1000N - Dual Yosh RS3 CF Exhaust ••••• 09' Aprilia SR50 (Wife's) ••••• 93' ZX-11 - Sold after 43k Miles
    Cars:
    08' Audi S5 6MT •••• 10' VW TDI Cup Edition 6MT •••• 02' VW TDI Beetle 5MT •••• 07' Ford Explorer

Gold Member

Re: An Encounter With the CSP

sparky!!!!!

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

I'd have to say I've not had a cop here who was a prick, with the exception of the ones that were there at the Grain and Feed during the last public Catholic School Girl Run. Now THOSE guys were assholes. Probably 'cause they had to deal with all the dicks on their straight-piped Hardleys.....

Yeah, I'd gotten some bullsh!t tickes where it was simple revenue-collection, nothing more. Any anyone reasonable should have let things like that slide, but there you go. Gotta love the quota system.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

I had a similar experience, I'll leave out the location. I was riding on a Saturday, and ended up behind every soccer mom and grandma driving 10 under, made up my mind to head home. I got behind the original old lady driving the first Valiant ever produced, rolling at 20 in a 35. We came to a long straightaway, used to be a passing zone, double yellow now, no one coming, a dirty Jeep pickup with an ATV in the back behind me. Pulled out, made the pass, the Jeep did, too. Then he put on his red and blue lights...Same deal- visible reaction when I took off my helmet, same type of conversation- "sir, we've been picking up a lot of kids off the road lately, crashing bikes just like yours". I was on my Daytona. "What's your hurry?" I told him that I'd been riding behind these grandmas all day and was heading home, and that he could see I wasn't one of those kids he had to worry about. By this time I'd given him my paperwork, as he started to turn to go back to his truck, I said " hold on a sec, I need to give you this too, I don't want you to be alarmed when it comes up on my license." I handed him my Concealed Weapons permit. He looked at it, said "thanks, I appreciate that, have a nice day." Gave me everything back and drove away.

Yeah, gray hair can help in those situations. Trouble is, I don’t have any...yet.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

No grey hairs YET?

Must not have kids.
    The older I get the faster I was!

Kids will do it. I'm only 34 and the gray hairs are coming in nicely.

As far as cops, I know some are jerks (like with rest of the general population), but so many people who get pulled over are so hostile that I don't blame the cops for getting mad. I know that when I speed and get pulled over, I'm not pissed at the cop, I'm pissed at me for getting caught. Most of the time they'll just give you a warning.

Am I too young to be posting here?