Description: Off-site Ducati Site

>>Read Full Article
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Re: [ KB ] Ducati Resource

The link doesn't work.

Could it have been a better resource than my http://www.ducati-lies.com

DIS-MEMBERED
    (Banned)

ducati's are great looking bikes, works of art. they really are. I love the hell out of how good they look.

Yes, they look good.

Very good.

Bought an '07 GSXR1000 instead. Looks great, can outperform a ducati in the right hands.

Quote Originally Posted by spudwrench View Post
    ducati's are great looking bikes, works of art. they really are. I love the hell out of how good they look.

Yes, they look good.

Very good.

Bought an '07 GSXR1000 instead. Looks great, can outperform a ducati in the right hands.
    Yabutt, suzies look butt ass ugly though

On a serious note, Ducati's racing success is nothing to scoff at. Out on the track, looks count for very little and very few companies have a better racing pedigree than Ducati.

Japanese bikes are great, but they are really big, really heavy and generally don't push the technology envelope far enough to interest me. If you are a small guy/girl, there are very few liter bikes / superbikes that are better packaged than Ducatis.
    07 Ducati Monster S2R1000
    04 Ducati 749

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
    Yabutt, suzies look butt ass ugly though

On a serious note, Ducati's racing success is nothing to scoff at. Out on the track, looks count for very little and very few companies have a better racing pedigree than Ducati.

Japanese bikes are great, but they are really big, really heavy and generally don't push the technology envelope far enough to interest me. If you are a small guy/girl, there are very few liter bikes / superbikes that are better packaged than Ducatis.

Way to bring back a zombie thread, especially to comment on someone who isn't a member anymore!

Go ride your heavy, clunky, Jap bike.

Love my Duc. Yep. I will mention one, obvious, thing though.

Just about anybody can outperform me on my bike. Put Vale Rossi on a "Big Wheel" and I may have trouble keeping up.

Guys, it is the rider's skills that make these things go like they do.
    Drama is a poor substitute for adventure. (c)2011

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    Way to bring back a zombie thread, especially to comment on someone who isn't a member anymore!
    Way to stay on top of policing these infractions, especially since it was sort of motorcycle related, we can't have that shit.

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Way to stay on top of policing these infractions, especially since it was sort of motorcycle related, we can't have that shit.
    Your damn right bueller this forum will have no motorcycle related talk ever!!!

You've obviously not checked out a Japanese bike in the last 10 years.
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

^+1

I would love a Duc. My bank account would not love a Duc.

Quote Originally Posted by UglyDogRacing View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. Can you name a few Japanese liter bikes with a dry clutch, single sided swingarm, adjustable shocks front and back, adjustable levers, slipper clutch, a decent FI system and let's say under 400 lbs with a 30 inch seat height?
    Last edited by xxaarraa; Thu Sep 29th, 2011 at 07:06 AM.
    04 Ducati 749

...generally don't push the technology envelope far enough to interest me.
    Can you name a few Japanese liter bikes with a dry clutch, single sided swingarm, adjustable shocks front and back, adjustable levers, slipper clutch, a decent FI system and let's say under 400 lbs with a 30 inch seat height?
    I don't see a lot of these traits as "pushing the technology envelope."

Honda's has offered slipper clutches in different bikes for years.

Is a dry clutch really better than a wet one? (I'm asking, I actually don't know. But I don't think it is.)

You could adjust the suspension on my 01 R6 (front and back).

I feel adjustable levers are more of a perk than anything else. And with Duc, you pay the price tag for such perks.

The VFR has had a SSS for a long time. And really, is it pushing technology or just something different? Their MotoGP bike doesn't have a SSS, so there must be pros and cons to it.

400lbs and 30" seat height are not really advances in technology IMO.

Not starting a fight, just offering a different perspective.

...adjustable shocks front and back...
    Isn't Bimota the only one to have done this?

And yeah, Ducati's the ONLY oem to know how to set EFI on a bike...

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I don't see a lot of these traits as "pushing the technology envelope."

Honda's has offered slipper clutches in different bikes for years.
    You could adjust the suspension on my 01 R6 (front and back).
    The 1983 Interceptor had a slipper clutch. All of the first-generation Interceptors did, even the 500. My 1985 VF1000R has an adjustable on-the-fly rear shock. Yes, you can change the rebound damping while in motion. And it has gear-driven cams.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    The VFR has had a SSS for a long time. And really, is it pushing technology or just something different? Their MotoGP bike doesn't have a SSS, so there must be pros and cons to it.
    The SSSA dates to the late 1940's, so no, it isn't exactly pushing the technology envelope. It makes tire changes a lot easier which is great for endurance racing and it gives the bike a cleaner look, but it's no great technology thing these days.

I've never understood this need to justify one's taste for a certain bike or kind of bike by denigrating others. They all have their pluses and minuses. You like Ducatis? Great. They are awesome bikes. You like Hondas? Great. They are awesome bikes. You like Kawasakis? Great. They are awesome bikes. You like Harleys? Great. They are awesome bikes. Enjoy the fun of motorcycling your way and celebrate others who do it their way.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    I've never understood this need to justify one's taste for a certain bike or kind of bike by denigrating others. They all have their pluses and minuses. You like Ducatis? Great. They are awesome bikes. You like Hondas? Great. They are awesome bikes. You like Kawasakis? Great. They are awesome bikes. You like Harleys? Great. They are awesome bikes. Enjoy the fun of motorcycling your way and celebrate others who do it their way.
    Thank you...

/Thread
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

And guess where most of my knowledge of the history of Honda came from, stopping by Dirk's garage.

Maybe, maybe not. Can you name a few Japanese liter bikes with a dry clutch, single sided swingarm, adjustable shocks front and back, adjustable levers, slipper clutch, a decent FI system and let's say under 400 lbs with a 30 inch seat height?
    on the plus side, jap bikes don't sound like they are rattling apart when they come to a stop, SSSA's are heavy and not as rigid as a dual sided swingarms, even the new gixxer 6 has Showa BBF and Monoblocs, pretty much all sportbikes are under 400 now, and why would I want a 30" seat height? I'm not a midget...

I guess you really haven't looked at any jap bike in the last 10 years... and a 749...that's a great looking bike

Ralph, the link still doesn't work...
    Last edited by OUTLAWD; Thu Sep 29th, 2011 at 08:53 AM.

The 1983 Interceptor had a slipper clutch. All of the first-generation Interceptors did, even the 500. My 1985 VF1000R has an adjustable on-the-fly rear shock. Yes, you can change the rebound damping while in motion. And it has gear-driven cams.

The SSSA dates to the late 1940's, so no, it isn't exactly pushing the technology envelope. It makes tire changes a lot easier which is great for endurance racing and it gives the bike a cleaner look, but it's no great technology thing these days.

You are missing the point.

I was not denigrating any bike, my post starts with "Japanese bikes are great" I started off on a Ninja 250 and owned a CRF230 at some point so I speak from (limited) experience. Discussing things on an Internet forum is about driving positive debate. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they are denigrating you.

Besides, my whole post was in response to someone expressing their preference (or lack there of for Ducatis).

Also, replying with "that's not needed" "that's not new technology" "that doesn't count as technology" is predictable and smacks of a defensive attitude.

Ride safe, enjoy yourself, maybe we'll run into each other one day. I'll be waving
    04 Ducati 749

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Japanese bikes are great, but they are really big, really heavy and generally don't push the technology envelope far enough to interest me.
    Quote Originally Posted by UglyDogRacing View Post
    Also, replying with "that's not needed" "that's not new technology" "that doesn't count as technology" is predictable and smacks of a defensive attitude.
    Defensive on my part? Hardly. You claim that Ducati "pushes the technology envelope" more than Japanese bikes and then list a bunch of stuff that has been around for decades (and often used on Japanese bikes). Pointing out the weakness of your argument is not defensive. You like Ducatis. That's great and not a point for any sensible debate. You claim that Ducati pushes the technology envelope more or better than the Japanese. That is debatable.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

+1 this.

They are all cool. I see no need to justify my personal decisions to folks any more. It is a form of submission, which is probably why the denegration of other machines/riders. Sort of evens the field.

Ride what you like, like what you ride.
    Last edited by stubbicatt; Fri Sep 30th, 2011 at 06:41 AM.
    Drama is a poor substitute for adventure. (c)2011

I've never understood this need to justify one's taste for a certain bike or kind of bike by denigrating others. They all have their pluses and minuses. You like Ducatis? Great. They are awesome bikes. You like Hondas? Great. They are awesome bikes. You like Kawasakis? Great, They are the best. You like Harleys? Great,Enjoy getting passed by a Kawasaki. Enjoy the fun of motorcycling your way and celebrate others who do it their way.
    There it is
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!