Thread: '98 shock on 93?

'98 shock on 93?

First of all I have a 1993 CBR600, and I happen to have acquired a used 1998 CBR600 rear shock. I was debating on whether I should try to put the newer shock on or not. Would it make a difference and would it be compatible? or should I just sell it? Help me out and tell me what ya think.

Only here for the free Wi-Fi Site Admin Spiderman's Avatar
    I'm no expert, but I do have a bit of experience in swapping shocks from one generation of a bike to the next - I took the Penske shock off my '99 R6 and put it on my '03 R6. I called Penske and asked if they were compatible. I was told that, other than the fact that the shock for the '99 was 1/4" taller than the one for the '03, all I would need to make it fit would be some new bushings.

If I'm not mistaken, your CBR is an F2, and the shock is from an F3, right? Even if you were able to make it fit, there may be other characteristics that could make you decide not to make the swap (mounting design changes; spring/flow rates; etc.). Give Bart at TK a call. I'm not sure how well he knows the CBRs, but he should be able to give you a more technical answer, or at least point you in the direction of one.
    Bob <------ Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
         - 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec (Cafe Racer)
         - 2004 Yamaha R6 (racebike)
         - 2006 Yamaha R1 (racebike)
    R.I.P. 502
    ~ Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end.

Re: '98 shock on 93?

Hey, Thanks. That helps a bunch, and I'll call TK tomorrow. If anyone else has any helpful info let me know...