Thread: 1998 CBR F3

1998 CBR F3

Hi guys, I just purchased a 1998 CBR600 F3 for 2900$ with 18000 miles on it. it has aftermarket fog lights and some basic aftermarket parts like the exhaust and the airfilter. The carbs was just cleaned and it has new tires on it right now. Only thing is that the front brake seems like it needs to be replaced soon and also there are some body damages and that the bike was painted to a gunmetal color w/ texiture by himself.

Do you guys think 2900$ was a good price for this bike and also most import of all, can someone please tell me where I can get the fairings for the left and right and the upper where the headlight is and the rear seat fairings for this bike. I want to change it completely.

Oh yea and one other thing, the bike is weird. When i have the bike in gear and put the kickstand down the bike turns off but if I have the bike in neutral and put it down it stays on. Same goes with starting the bike, if the bike's kickstand is down and bike is in gear, it won't start. Is this common? Also do I need to put the choke down and turn the fuel reserve thing to off when I park the bike at nights? and If i forget is this bad? Sorry for the noob questions but this is my first bike.
    Thanks ahead

Hey, I once was a n00b like you so here are some tips....

You ALWAYS get screwed one buying your first bike. I took a 4x4 up the rear for mine. Thats just life, you have to suck it up and get on with it.

as for replacing the plastics.... Ebay. I have some damage on mine and found fairings on ebay. Mine is the purple and pink F2 with the "ripped" look and everyone I find on ebay is messed up Just keep checking and I am sure you will find what ur looking for.

Kickstand... Yeah I was a noob at a dealership when I had to learn this one. It is a kill switch so that way you wont ride off with the kickstand down. It has to be up in order for the bike to be put into gear. same with trying to put it down, it better be in neutral.

last is parking it after a ride of any length.... You don't need to shut off the gas and you don't need to turn ur choke on. I get home, turn the key off, hit the kill switch, and walk away. If you are supposed to turn the choke on well thats new to me.

Umm I think that answers all your Q's. This site has alot of good people who will help you. Welcome, and congrats on the bike!

Re: 1998 CBR F3

ok coo thanks, so for the price of the bike, do you think that is a good price? or did I pay too much for it. and also anyone live by Mississipi & Havana area where I can find some people to ride with? lol

Yeah, flyboy did a good job, i'm just hoping when you say that you need to turn the choke down that you aren't riding with it on? Keep the kickstand kill switch, I still drop it into gear a couple times a year and it dies and I'm like...wtf...
    It's a celebration bitches!!! - RIP 502

Motos:
    2003 SV1000N - Dual Yosh RS3 CF Exhaust ••••• 09' Aprilia SR50 (Wife's) ••••• 93' ZX-11 - Sold after 43k Miles
    Cars:
    08' Audi S5 6MT •••• 10' VW TDI Cup Edition 6MT •••• 02' VW TDI Beetle 5MT •••• 07' Ford Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by Fly boy";p="272900
    You ALWAYS get screwed one buying your first bike. I took a 4x4 up the rear for mine. Thats just life, you have to suck it up and get on with it.
    I totally disagree. My first bike - a used EX500 - was in great shape and I never had problems.

You can consider getting the bodywork repaired and repainted rather than replaced - Morse (http://www.morsefiberglass.com/) is the first that comes to mind for that.

Full retail on that bike is about $3900, so if it's in good shape mechanically, I'd say you got a good deal. I'm at Tower & Iliff or Parker & Arapahoe but don't ride on the street all that often...there are plenty of us in A-Town though!

------------------------
    Student Driver Racing / My Little Pony Racing
    Aerobics instructor seeks optical illusion...#502, baby

Thanks everyone for the quick replies. Yea I would like to get it repaired and repainted by my tail fairing doesn't seem its on tight together. There are cracks between the 2 side pieces and the top piece. Also my left side mid fairing is cracked... other than that the bike is good.

I barely need to use the choke on mine, i just use it for a few mins while i warms up in the driveway.

I always turn off all my switches when i park it (mostly because of the classes ) but also as a security thing, i have had two people so far sit on my bike and try to start it and be confused just because they didnt relieze there is such thing as a kill switch....

Every now an again i still goof up and forget about kickstand but I rather kill it then have me ride off and end up having an exciting left turn.

Sounds like a pretty good price but would love to see some pics of it
    1998 CBR600F3 "Desert Storm" - SOLD

WAS keeping the banana seat alive!

here are some pictures

that matte black is hott

p.s. a lil tlc and those honda 600's are bulletproof, my last f2 was at 30k, rev limit coasters, circles, still running like a champ, and b4 I had it it was ebazyl's race bike!

just crashed the bike yesterday, I was going straight on a green light and it turned yellow when I crossed the line but a lady took a fast left turn and I had to slam my brakes and the bike slided out. Had 2 witnesses and 1 said it was red light and I ran it and another who was waiting on the street intersecting the streeet I was on waiting for the light said he had a red light so I didnt run it. Cop couldn't give anyone a ticket so he told us to let insurance figure it out. I don't know if anyone have been in a situation like this but any inputs guys? What do you guys think, I know this is not my fault, this happened during rush hour and the street I was on was 3 lanes, the 2 left lanes totally stopped on the green light because of the traffic ahead, there was a SUV blocking her view of me, the far right lane which I was in was clear so I did not stop and kept on going because I had a green light. If I didn't slam my brakes she would have t-boned me or I would have hit her right around the passenger or back of the car area. I know this can't be my fault but I don't know what the insurance will do.

What you guys think...

So is the bike totalled?

I would think either:

A. You will have to sue the lady in court proving she cut you off by making an unsafe turn.

B. Just have Insurance cover the costs of repair (if you have full coverage) I believe if its "not your fault" they legally cannot raise your rates.

Sorry to hear about the wreck, but glad youre ok
    1998 CBR600F3 "Desert Storm" - SOLD

WAS keeping the banana seat alive!