Thread: Clutch adjustment

Clutch adjustment

So my clutch seems kinda weird (but it could be normal) when i let the clutch out sometimes it doesnt seem to grab till the very very end of letting out. But sometimes it seems to let out fine....

Its hard to explain, but can a clutch stick on a bike, how should it be adjusted? How can you tell if a clutch is "going out"?

Thanks!
    1998 CBR600F3 "Desert Storm" - SOLD

WAS keeping the banana seat alive!

I haven't had the experience of a worn out clutch but have read about it. The main symptom is slippage, especially when the engine is near full power in the higher rpms, and upon shifting to a higher gear.

I am going to hazard a guess that your bike needs a clutch adjustment. This would be done in the clutch housing area. But, I can't advise on you how to do it.

Lee
    2005 Suzuki GSX-R1000 (K5)
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000 (K6) (Wife's bike -> The "Mini-Gixxer")
    2005 Yamaha FJR-1300

If you're riding without a helmet, then you must know that you have nothing to protect.

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar
    On a Honda F3 you have a clutch adjustment on your clip on, but also if you take the right side fairing off there is an adjustment bolt on the cable just above the clutch housing. This should help take up any "slack" in the lever.
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Quote Originally Posted by konichd";p="274489
    On a Honda F3 you have a clutch adjustment on your clip on, but also if you take the right side fairing off there is an adjustment bolt on the cable just above the clutch housing. This should help take up any "slack" in the lever.
    Thanks for the hints, i will stare at it later tonight and see if i can figure that out

Re: Clutch adjustment

If it doesn't happen all the time-it might be more than adjustment. I have the same bike and the clutches are pretty good. The baskets can get a little warped. And the springs can get a little soft. The worst thing for the clutches is putting fancy oil in it with lubricating agents in them-or just old oil/ low oil. Try adjusting the clutch, easy to do. When was the oil changed last, and what oil was used? Have you checked the oil level? That would definitely do what you are saying.

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar
    Also check your entire clutch cable, it might need replacing or hopefully just a little lube.
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Re: Clutch adjustment

Quote Originally Posted by fe911";p="274506
    If it doesn't happen all the time-it might be more than adjustment. I have the same bike and the clutches are pretty good. The baskets can get a little warped. And the springs can get a little soft. The worst thing for the clutches is putting fancy oil in it with lubricating agents in them-or just old oil/ low oil. Try adjusting the clutch, easy to do. When was the oil changed last, and what oil was used? Have you checked the oil level? That would definitely do what you are saying.
    OK you reply might have thrown me, the only "fluid" i know in my bike is the "motor oil" and it was replaced with synthetic. I've checked that before and it still looks good and i havent put that many miles on the bike since i got it so....but i also know/heard synthetic wont show the wear of just plain old oil so who knows....? The clutch is cable based like you all say, and so my other fluid is brake, oh and coolant oh and i assume gas geezzz....damn guess i better get the manual out....

So lubing the clutch cable, what lube do you recommend that doesnt require a special trip out to the highway....? (i heard someone say they use there chain lube for this...?)

At the risk of telling you something you already know, pure synthetic oils usually require more let out on the clutch lever for clutch engagement to be perceived. And, the range between no felt engagement and full engagement narrows to a much shorter displacement of the clutch lever. The fact that your clutch engagement behaves irregularly is the problem.

There is a lube called "Dri Slide Bike Aid" that you can buy at most bicycle shops; it comes in a small, light green and black container and is excellent for lubing cables and the inside of their sheaths. The mechanics at Rocky Mountain Cycle Plaza introduced me to it. It is a dry "moly" lube that will not easily pick up dirt or grit and is ultra slick. It appears to be wet, then soon dries. Don't get it on your paint.

Lee
    2005 Yamaha FJR-1300

If you're riding without a helmet, then you must know that you have nothing to protect.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee";p="274531
    At the risk of telling you something you already know, pure synthetic oils usually require more let out on the clutch lever for clutch engagement to be perceived. And, the range between no felt engagement and full engagement narrows to a much shorter displacement of the clutch lever. The fact that your clutch engagement behaves irregularly is the problem.
    I did not know that, (motorcycles and the whole "wet clutch" thing is still very new to me) thanks for the tid bit of info, I am still going to double check the clutch play and adjustment against the spec in my manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee";p="274531
    There is a lube called "Dri Slide Bike Aid" that you can buy at most bicycle shops; it comes in a small, light green and black container and is excellent for lubing cables and the inside of their sheaths. The mechanics at Rocky Mountain Cycle Plaza introduced me to it. It is a dry "moly" lube that will not easily pick up dirt or grit and is ultra slick. It appears to be wet, then soon dries. Don't get it on your paint.

Lee
    I will also go search for some of this
    and try it out.

Thanks!

Also, (I sent this to you in a PM; don't know if you saw it yet.) my GSXR has a clutch adjustment bolt on the clutch housing on the right side of the engine. This is not a cable adjustment; my dealer told me that it is a clutch adjustment mechanism.

I don't know if your Honda has similar adjustment mechanism or not. I would call a Honda dealer's service department and simply ask them how your clutch can be adjusted and when it might be necessary.

Lee
    2005 Yamaha FJR-1300

Quote Originally Posted by Lee";p="274556
    Also, (I sent this to you in a PM; don't know if you saw it yet.) my GSXR has a clutch adjustment bolt on the clutch housing on the right side of the engine. This is not a cable adjustment; my dealer told me that it is a clutch adjustment mechanism.

I don't know if your Honda has similar adjustment mechanism or not. I would call a Honda dealer's service department and simply ask them how your clutch can be adjusted and when it might be necessary.

Lee
    I did and i have the manual in PDF, just need to find the time to go over it all.

Thanks again!