Thread: Top end rebuild for a dirtbike

Top end rebuild for a dirtbike

Anyone have any idea on the process for doing a top end? My XT350 needs a little TLC in that department and I'm not sure what to do- Can I just pull the head and get it bored to the right size for the pistons I can find? Which machine shops do this? How did I get in this nutshell???
    Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.

Re: Top end rebuild for a dirtbike

Quote Originally Posted by Dyscofool
    Anyone have any idea on the process for doing a top end? My XT350 needs a little TLC in that department and I'm not sure what to do- Can I just pull the head and get it bored to the right size for the pistons I can find? Which machine shops do this? How did I get in this nutshell???
    don't know how but do know people that can do that stuff, I can put you in touch with them if interested.

-al
    CSBA #410 CO chapter officer
    RC51 (the faster scratched up one)
    hozerking.blogspot.com

Without pain, without sacrifice, we would have nothing.
    -Tyler Durden (Fight Club)

Re: Top end rebuild for a dirtbike

Quote Originally Posted by Dyscofool

I know someone that is real good and can probably save you a few $$$ by doing it at his home. PM me if you want his contact info.
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

...I spose I should continue to point out Sean @ Metro does this sorta thing on a daily basis and he is a CSC sponsor.

Not to slam any other suggestions, but why bother with the trouble of doing it yourself?? Sean will cut you a deal if you tell him you are a CSC member and I sent you (Dave).

-dave

dave@MotoSix DOT com |
    MRA #31, WERA #311

Quote Originally Posted by 12pointracing
    ...I spose I should continue to point out Sean @ Metro does this sorta thing on a daily basis and he is a CSC sponsor.

Not to slam any other suggestions, but why bother with the trouble of doing it yourself?? Sean will cut you a deal if you tell him you are a CSC member and I sent you (Dave).

-dave
    Loosely translated:

1. Tell Sean you're a CSC member. Get discount. Cheap pricing = good!
    2. Tell him Dave sent you, AND get the extra bonus of a reacharound! (Sean gives 'em to Dave all the time, it's an extra perk)

...well, I can't vouch for the reach around but I am sure something could be worked out.

I mean, Ralph keeps going back for more so it must be good!

dave@MotoSix DOT com |
    MRA #31, WERA #311

Oh that's right Dave, you just go there for the gerbils...

Hey Dyscofool- I would recommend you go see Sean at Metro for the reach-around and the gerbil escapades. The friend I was going to refer you to is more into the peanut butter and his rottweiler thing.....
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

...well, Sean does own a pit-bull.

Does that count?

(although, as Ralph can attest to and Hanna agreed to supervise in future instances, I suggest the "gerbil treatment")

dave@MotoSix DOT com |
    MRA #31, WERA #311

Dyscofool,
    If you've got a garage to work in and are interested in learning some "meck-a-neckin" that would be a good bike to learn with, alot simpler than a multi cylinder but still a four stroke so you can learn how to set timing and all that.
    You just need a good manual and some patience
    Eric
    CSBA#477
    00 Triumph Sprint RS
    www.cocsba.com

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe

-dave
    Loosely translated:

1. Tell Sean you're a CSC member. Get discount. Cheap pricing = good!
    2. Tell him Dave sent you, AND get the extra bonus of a reacharound! (Sean gives 'em to Dave all the time, it's an extra perk)
    Will get a price from this Sean guy. I figure might be able to save a little if we keep it platonic.

(thereal)BigE- I do have a garage but it's cold out and the chick doesn't approve of wrenching in the kitchen. I do all of the work on my Beemer as it is and that's enough to keep up with in the winter- esp when I'm putting 70 miles a day on it. Half of me wants to do it myself and the other half just wants it done- that's the half that usually wins out and then when I do get a chance to do it myself I feel lame for paying for it.

Dakar is on... must go.
    Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.

...well, Sean does own a pit-bull.

Does that count?

(although, as Ralph can attest to and Hanna agreed to supervise in future instances, I suggest the "gerbil treatment")
    Wait just a minute, I never agreed to anything of the sort
    "Life is not a journey unto the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but rather
    to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

-
    SV650S/SV650 Superbike/R6/1150GS/Tuono R