Thread: Dunlop: 208 vs 220

Board Newbie

Dunlop: 208 vs 220

I thread lightly, so, with that in mind, what are the advantages of the 208's vs. the 220's?
    What about life?
    These are for a SV650
    Does GPMotorsports really have the best prices? I made a few phonecalls and it seems, but do you guys know of a better option?

Thanks for the help.

(if I wanna go to the beers on Fri. I first NEED tires... I am running a slick in the back )
    The fewer donkeys the more corncobs

I don't know about the 220's. My R1 came stock with 208's. The Dunlop website categorizes them as follows:

D208 ZR - ULTRA-HIGH-PERFORMANCE STREET

D220 - HIGH-PERFORMANCE/SPORT-TOURING

My guess is that the 220's will last longer, but wouldn't have the same grip, but the latter would probably only be noticed on a racetrack or scraping pegs/dragging knee in the canyon.

As for pricing, check our sponsors - Rocky Mountain Race Tire is a Dunlop-only dealer.

*** Also, try TFOG (303-216-2400) - they're in Golden and they have low prices (I bought my last tire off them).

greetings gadget,
    the d220 tire is best suited for long distance trips; the compound is very hard !!! i rode them for a little more than 8,500 miles. The mileage was spread between maybe 500 miles around town, then on a trip from here to San Diego, thru Houston, to Jacksonville, up to the Dragon, and back to Denver AND a another trip from Denver to Tyler, then back to Denver. Not very good in the twisties, they skittered in the Dragon but then again... the RF was fully loaded with a big tank bag, saddlebags and a duffle.
    **not an all-purpose tire**
    henry

also check out TFOG; they pre-flighted my RF900R for my trips!!! ya need reliable stuff for x-country!
    "its boxy, its fast..."

iba#14410 -- 1kss, bbg, 50cc, 2kss, 3kss and b2b_insanity completed -- it has been 4 years.
    UPDATE bbg_insanity will run somewhere btwn APR-JUN 09

Loopty
    Pronounced with an "oopty"
    First off, I SERIOUSLY doubt GPM has the best price on ANY tire. Check out Discount Motorcycle Tire and Performance, they usually have pretty cheap rubber.

May I suggest the BT020's for your SV? I've gone through more sets of tires on my SV than I can remember, but my favorite sport-touring combo was a BT020 rear and a BT010 front. The 010 is stickier than the 020, but doesn't last as long. This worked out well for me as I went through rear tires faster than front tires anyway. I probably got damn near 10,000 miles out of that tire combo. You can go 020's front and rear if you want, but I wanted something stickier for hard-core riding and stoppies.
    MRA 33 (Retired)
    502- RIP my brother

my ride came with 207's, they were ok.

I replaced them with 208's (after a nail pushed up the purchase date). I like them quite a bit. I do not ride all that hard (yet). They seem to grip just fine and be quite predictable.

I bought them at excel on sale, buy rear at list price get the front for free. It seamed a reasonable deal, but I was under the gun due to the nail issue.

for what that is worth...
    "When you have insomnia, you are never really asleep...and you are never really awake."

Red & Black 2002 CBR600F4i

Loopty
    Pronounced with an "oopty"
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention- you should be able to pick up a set of those BT's for UNDER $200.
    MRA 33 (Retired)
    502- RIP my brother

For bridgestones, contact Sean @ Metro. Site sponsor, discounts, you know the drill.

For Dunlops contact Mark @ Rocky Mountain Race Tire. He can't get the 220's I'm pretty sure, but the 208's should not be a problem. (He only deals in high performance tires)

We don't get any discounts on Michelins that I'm aware of but Vanmar probably has the best prices on those.

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Dunlops ------ nope

Vanmar ------ and NOT Dunlops
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Board Newbie
    thanks for the help and tips.

I ended up springing for the 220's since I don't really outperform my bike and I will get 20% more of life...
    So I'll wear them and let you know.
    The rubbers ended being $250 everything included at GPM (taxes, mounting, etc.)

Did you call TFOG? Just curious what their price was. They probably would have had to order them though, and if you're in a rush and GPM had them in stock...

Board Newbie
    Yes, I called all the sponsors.
    They were ~50 higher in the 208's (which were 17 more than the 220's). They had to order the 220's.