Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Swingarm sliders

No kidding, so it's just the lousy F4i that doesn't have spool mounts? What a bummer. Well, my hesitation to weld onto the swingarm is that I've heard welding aluminum takes a fair bit of skill, and it would also probably involve painting the swingarm again. Also, opinions on whether the heat from welding would be detrimental to the swingarm?

Regardless, I've seen several F4i's with rivnuts or nutserts drilled into the swingarm, and haven't heard of any problems. That doesn't mean there aren't any problems, just relating what I've heard.
    Alex
    MRA #68
    http://www.3dstickfight.com/racing/
    Racing Performance Services, Racer Supply Co., Morse Racing Products
    ”Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature nor do the children of humankind as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."
    -- Helen Keller

Yeah, I guess the frames on the F4i is more of an weird alloy composition too. I tried to have the rear peg mount back on (snapped off at the welds) and the metal wouldn't accept the mig aluminum wire, so I had to get it to a shop and they Tig wielded it to make it stick. But I don't think a good wielder could hurt the swingarm since all the other bikes had to have that portion of the swingarm wielded for the spools. So if the other bikes are ok having that part wielded once, than so would our F4i since it's never been wielded before.

I would be worried about if the swingarm has been heat treated to make it stronger... I don't know much about welding, but it would be a question I would ask.

As far as the nutserts/rivnuts/threadserts spinning... You've just got to put them in tight. Local fastner place sells the fancy tool for 40 or 50 bucks. Looks like a hand rivet tool, but has a threaded tip, and it's big.

Mine went in fine on the F2 swing arm. I drilled the swing arm a couple of inches from the back, in the middle (least stress). I just screwed in the old spools from the aprilia (it now has sliders)... It all worked great.

And apparently we're going to be doing Alex's bike soon (now that the swingarm is finally back on!) Too bad neither one of us likes taking pictures...
    dave.
    "Helping motorcycles live up to their potential."
    www.STMSuspension.com

Oh yeah, play time! Check out what I just got:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2455617866

KooLaid, if you're still wanting a replacement rear shock, lemme know.

Also, I found a guy selling a really nice looking swingarm with spools already welded on. He sent me some pics and it looks really good, he told me $100 plus shipping.

http://pub105.ezboard.com/fhondacbr6...cID=3303.topic
    Alex
    MRA #68
    ”Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature nor do the children of humankind as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."
    -- Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by yakuza
    Oh yeah, play time! Check out what I just got:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2455617866
    Nice!

Yes I need it! This time I WILL get it since it's scary riding my bike as it is.

Ok gang, I talked to our machine shop supervisor and asked him what he thinks. He told me that he mounted a kickstand on his KTM 520 with rivnuts and they eventually loosened up and spun , then broke off. Now he is stuck with two 1/2inch holes in his swingarm. He recommended either having a good welder TIG weld on a threaded section then re-heat treat the arm. Or use one of the stands that doesnt use spools and clamp or bond on a piece of carbon fiber or delrin for crash protection.

Hey Alex, if you can hold on to that shock for me, you can have my spare left intuitive black frame slider and bolts free if u want it. I went to Vortex sliders. Same price for this shock as the last one right?

Sure, sounds fine to me, and I could use a replacement left slider as mine is kinda ground down. I'm still waiting to hear back from the guy about shipping, he's pretty slow to communicate. But I'll definitely hold the shock for ya.
    Alex
    MRA #68
    -- Helen Keller

Righty O' Alex, the slider is yours as well.