View Poll Results: Are you planning to go to the NESBA track day at Miller?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! This rocks!

2 9.09%
  • I would like to, not sure yet.

8 36.36%
  • Nope; I'm a broke sunuvagun and have to work.

12 54.55%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Group Buy for Miller Track Day

Thumbs up Group Buy for Miller Track Day

I have recently moved to CO (Longmont) from the Seattle area, and I have been looking for track day clubs in the area, but without much luck.

In Seattle we had a chapter of NESBA, run by a great group of the local racers who help people learn how to ride fast and safe on the track. If you don't know them, find them at www.nesba.com

My old NESBA chapter is having a track day at Miller Motorsports Park during the beginning of August. Riders get 20 minutes per hour of track time, where the riders are broken into 3 groups: The Advanced session is run pretty much like an open race practice, while the Beginner group is big on mentoring and keeping people within their limits (especially good for new or timid riders). There is also an Intermediate group, which is where some of the crazier riders would fall - still with instructors on track to give tips and other advice.

If you know anything about Miller, it is the newest and bestest track on the AMA circuit! Here is a quote from one of the race guys from Seattle that brought his team down for the AMA races:
    Track: AWESOME i mean yeah everyone says that, but honestly TOP NOTCH! HONESTLY FOLKS YOU HAVE TO COME HERE....i mean makes SIR/SRP/PIR look like a rukus scooter next to an MV agusta!
    SIR/SRP/PIR are the NW tracks. Not great, but not too shabby, either. They probably compare well with the CO tracks.

The cost at Miller is going to be $195 / day, and the NW NESBA director said that if I could come up with a group of 10 or more, we could all get a discount of 10%. The Nesba-standard $15 off the second track day should still apply. Furthermore, I can probably get him to give new CO members a $50 credit (to offset the $75 membership fee). All in all, that could be a savings of over $100 ! sweet!

If anybody would be interested in such a thing, maybe we could organize a trip over there. I'm going, whether anybody else is or not. It would also be nice to be able to carpool a little bit and put many bikes in only a few trailers.

Let me know here, and if we get 10 (not counting me), I'll call him up with the good news! Also, I can answer general NESBA questions as well, like what gear is required, safety requirements, stuff like that. You can also read it in their rider's manual on the nesba website.

Thanks, guys and gals! This is going to be GREAT FUN!
    Last edited by sank; Fri Jul 14th, 2006 at 09:04 AM.

Re: Group Buy for Miller Track Day

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2006/Jun/060615utpre.htm

Track Dates:
    August 6, 7 (Sunday/Monday)
    We'd leave the Denver area Saturday morning, returning Monday night around 1AM.
    It's about a 9 hour drive, according to Google Maps.
    It's about a 7 hour drive, according to my uncle ;- )
    If you can only do one day (like Sunday), that's fine too. You should still count towards a group discount.

List of people:
    1. Sank (confirmed)
    2. JohnH (confirmed)
    3. Ken (confirmed) Sunday Only
    4. konichd (confirmed) Sunday Only
    5. .
    6. .
    7. .
    8. .
    9. .
    10. .
    Last edited by sank; Tue Aug 1st, 2006 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Update list of people

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

I might be able to work this... I'll keep an eye on this thread for updates.. Thanks
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

Looks like fun. When I look at the miller website, they seem to have a lot of different sections or racetracks built in. I was wondering what part of the track will this track day be using. Hopefully not the kart track! But i've heard that's pretty good too. It would be nice to have access to the full track.

We will be running the outer course, same as the AMA guys. It's something like 3 miles, 3.5 miles...don't remember exactly.

Extra $50 discount confirmed!

This just in from the Nesba director for the NW chapter:
    Also let them know that our numbers are really light at this point and that they'll get a ton of open track time and a lot of individual attention from our instructors.
    He also said that he can do the $50 credit for people in Colorado who sign up specifically to come to the Miller track day. Either the system will automatically apply a credit to your account, or he will add the credits manually if we can't get CO into the list of "NW region states".

There is an additional $20 late fee for people who sign up for an event inside a 15 day window, which means we have 3 weeks from now to get this all organized.

If you really won't know until after, you can even sign up and do everything right there on Sunday morning. You'll get all the discounts I'm working on, but also the $20 late fee mentioned above.

I would recommend anybody who is serious about this to get their membership online first, starting now. Pay the $75, and we will get the $50 credit applied to your account soon. THEN, AFTER that credit shows up, AND the group discount credit has been applied, (assuming we get enough people), sign up for the track day so it will discount the price of the track day. They don't give cash refunds for credits, so be sure to only pay for the track day after we've got all of the credits applied to your account.

If anything changes, I'll let you know.

I'm a definite maybe! I wouldn't be if there wasn't a membership discount though. Thanks for the work to get us the discount. I hope I can come. I hope Nesba gets more weekend days at Miller next year too.

Ken
    2003 GSX-R750 Angry Marmot Motorsports #256
    Voted "Best Smelling Exhaust" May 2006

I know, it has a bit of a price tag on it, but it has already been called the best track in the USA.

They won't go again next year if they lose money on it this year. So, that is why we need people to go!

nesba is a great organization. Esecially if you are relatively new to track riding. It's very organinized and there's lots of isnstruction if you want it.
    Let's get some more people for the discount.

There are less than two weeks left to decide! Can I change anybody from MAYBE to Confirmed? or will it just be JohnH and I going by ourselves?

Sounds great, except that $195 is a bit steep...USBA just had a track day there for $150 whole day on the east track (I only did the $30 for 30 minutes) due to time constraints and having to borrow someones leathers, bike, etc.
    Maybe it would be worth looking into their next track day there before singing up for $45 dollars more. Just a thought

I looked all over utah sport bike association site, and it looks like they charge $165 for Miller track days, and I could not find what their membership fee was. So, it seems that the price difference is not really an issue here.

But, thanks for bringing them to my attention as a track club, as I did not know of them before. USBA looks to be very similar to NESBA. How much track time do you get in a day? How do they organize their events?

I finally found that $150 price; those events are on the kart track. They charge $165 for the real track (and may even require some sort of racing certification; the website is not clear).

For 2 USBA track days: membership + $330 + racing certification?
    For 2 NESBA track days: $400 minus any group discounts we can come up with.

So, if the USBA membership fee is $70, then the price is the same for 2 days, and that's not including any group discounts. If the USBA membership fee is, say, $45, then we're still only talking about a savings of $25, so I don't think price is a real issue when you work the numbers.

It is also true that the weekend rates are higher than the midweek rates, but you don't have to take so many days off work, either. In fact, if you just want to ride on Sunday, you can easily make it to work on Monday morning. NESBA is the only motorcycle club to get a weekend spot at Miller.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

I'm out... as much as I'd like to go, I just can't afford it right now.. I need new fork seals on the bike and plates on the cage... and a little more prep time/notice... I hope to attend sometime in the future tho..

Thanks
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

You can change me to an "almost confirmed" for Sunday only. And anther guy will probably come too.

Sank,

I think the initial post on this subject says the track day is on Aug 1 (maybe why nobody is interested). The actual dates are 6/7, right? Maybe you should edit that paragraph.

I didn't mean Aug 1, I meant the beginning of August. Sure, I'll change it.

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

I might be in with Ken if we can confirm the group discount and if I can find a motorcycle trialor!
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Quote Originally Posted by sank
    I finally found that $150 price; those events are on the kart track. They charge $165 for the real track (and may even require some sort of racing certification; the website is not clear).

For 2 USBA track days: membership + $330 + racing certification?
    For 2 NESBA track days: $400 minus any group discounts we can come up with.

So, if the USBA membership fee is $70, then the price is the same for 2 days, and that's not including any group discounts. If the USBA membership fee is, say, $45, then we're still only talking about a savings of $25, so I don't think price is a real issue when you work the numbers.

It is also true that the weekend rates are higher than the midweek rates, but you don't have to take so many days off work, either. In fact, if you just want to ride on Sunday, you can easily make it to work on Monday morning. NESBA is the only motorcycle club to get a weekend spot at Miller.
    USBA membership is $25
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Talking Re: Group Buy for Miller Track Day

As of right now, there are 8 people, and not everybody is confirmed, but I will try to see if he will do for the discount for 8 people. The MAYBE's need to change to confirmed! You too, Ken!

Time is running short! To beat the 15 day deadline, we have to get this straightened out THIS WEEK. And, unfortunately, I will have limited computer access Thursday and Friday. I have asked 'the man' if we could get a 1 week extension on the deadline, but no guarantees there.

So, if you are coming, sign up now for a NESBA membership (if you haven't already), and let me know your NESBA member number (send me a PM if you like). I hope to have discount credits applied to the account by Thursday, and everybody can sign up for the track event on Friday before the deadline.

---

Who has extra room in a trailer? Right now, it looks like konichd needs a trailer spot, and if there is extra room somewhere, also JohnH, but he will put it in the back of his pickup if nobody has extra space.

I might not be able to go if we don't get the discount - we'll see. I know we need to get this taken care of this week. The other thing holding me up is Konichd was referring to a trailer to get his and my bike up there.

having to rent a trailer AND not getting the membership discount will make my budget really tight right now. I'm trying.

Shoot, if konichd=="ken's friend", then that drops the numbers back to 7.

Anyway, I hope to hear back soon if 'the man' will grant a discount to fewer than 10. He is nice sometimes, and I think they are still hoping for people, so there's hope, I think.

I am trying to recruit 'outside help':
    http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/183049424.html

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

Discount - I'm in for sure
    No Discount - no in

Ken, don't worry about the trailor, its on me since I owe you a cheeseburger. I'll post something in the wanted forum to see if someone is willing to let go of thier trailor for a cash rental fee. Or I might just buy one!
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Just want to say thanks for organizing this trip. I can't go this time but will be watching the message boards for the next time out.