Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swingarm sliders

Swingarm sliders

Is there any way to attach swingarm sliders to my dirtbike? I figure that's about the only expensive item vulnerable in a lowside (on the road).
    Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.

fabricate some metal ones and weld them on
    Knee2Ground Racing

Re: Swingarm sliders

Quote Originally Posted by Dyscofool
    Is there any way to attach swingarm sliders to my dirtbike? I figure that's about the only expensive item vulnerable in a lowside (on the road).
    I'm sure I can machine ya somethin'. I need to look at it though for a mounting position.
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

thanks Dean- I looked and couldn't find anything to mount it to- might have to get creative. I'll hit you up next week or something.

I installed "nutserts" or "threadserts" on my F2 swing arm. Just drilled the swingarm in the middle near the back, installed 'em, and screwed in some spools. Works great.
    dave.
    "Helping motorcycles live up to their potential."
    www.STMSuspension.com

thanks Dean- I looked and couldn't find anything to mount it to- might have to get creative.
    i think duck tape, saftywire, and zip ties are inorder for that...

Talk to ripper, he has some HELLA big zip ties
    ~MR. PISSY PANTS~
    R . I . P. Gene, you will be missed!

01 Dakota (Yama-hauler)
    00 WR-400 (da da dirty dirty)
    06 GSXR 6 (street toy)
    06 KLX 110 (play toy)
    02 Kawi Quad (play toy #2) maybe for sale...anyone interested??

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

<--and yes i think this is a Texas flag Well, at least i THOUGHT it was, until peanut took it away...dam you peanut, DAMMMMM YOUUUU!!!!!

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FriscoKidd
    thanks Dean- I looked and couldn't find anything to mount it to- might have to get creative.

don't forget about the hammer
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Quote Originally Posted by chadwick

don't forget about the hammer
    how can i forget oh yea....an JB weld....cant forget that either
    ~MR. PISSY PANTS~
    R . I . P. Gene, you will be missed!

01 Dakota (Yama-hauler)
    00 WR-400 (da da dirty dirty)
    06 GSXR 6 (street toy)
    06 KLX 110 (play toy)
    02 Kawi Quad (play toy #2) maybe for sale...anyone interested??

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

<--and yes i think this is a Texas flag Well, at least i THOUGHT it was, until peanut took it away...dam you peanut, DAMMMMM YOUUUU!!!!!

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar
    how can i forget oh yea....an JB weld....cant forget that either
    JB weld is the poo
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

I had a similar wanting for my F4i. I was wondering, what about drilling a small hole for the spool bolt, tapping it for the threads? I mean drill into the machined piece welded on after the box section on the end of the swingarm infront of the axle and on the lower portion??? No welding, small hole......safe? risky?

I'll be drilling my swingarm for spools sometime in the next couple months, but I don't think I'd drill it where you are suggesting. There's already holes tapped and nutserts in the swingarm for your brake line brackets, a couple more won't hurt.
    Alex
    MRA #68
    http://www.3dstickfight.com/racing/
    Racing Performance Services, Racer Supply Co., Morse Racing Products
    ”Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature nor do the children of humankind as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."
    -- Helen Keller

Fill me in on this nutsert thing- I haven't heard the term before. Pics?

Alex
    MRA #68
    ”Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature nor do the children of humankind as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."
    -- Helen Keller

Dammit- I usually bust out the google on fools. Sweet animation. Question answered. Sankyouveddymush

I've seen the kits being sold with spools before by Lockhart, but I can't find it anymore. ALEX, what size spools are you gonna go with? kawa 10mm, Suzuki 8mm or Yamaha 6mm??? I don't know what standard size the hondas with spools are.

I can't think of any Honda's that come with spools. But I think the 8mm is the right size. It won't really matter though, just buy the size spool you want, and then get nutserts that will fit the spool post.

Edit: Yeah, Dysco, I thought that animation was awesome!
    Alex
    MRA #68
    -- Helen Keller

You do yours, I'll check it out, then I'll do mine. I kinda would like the look of welding a "boss" under the swingarm and putting spools there too. Rather not real with jacked up paint though.

ALEX, do you know know this person? Alice Palmer MRA #666, I guess she has spools on her F4i, was wondering how they looked and came out.

I've seen a few F4i's with spools, some people weld aluminum stock to the swingarm, some people drill and use nutserts. I'll do mine in the next month or so and let you know how it works out. There's a tutorial at cbrworld.net
    Alex
    MRA #68
    -- Helen Keller

my 600rr came with the piece under the swingarm that is threaded for spools. They are 8mm
    MRA # 115
    09 Ninja 250 Racebike
    07 CBR 600 RR Racebike
    06 CRF 250R

just my $.02
    We call "nutserts" rivnuts and use them to hold pieces of plastic together on helicopter interiors. We do not use them for many stuctural uses. They seem to spin in the material that they are mounted in. I have seen quit a few on our older aircraft that were installed by other companies that use them for structural purposes, and they do not seem to hold up well.

So what are you recommending then mike?

Dysco
    are you just looking to avoid damage?
    After re reading this thread,I noticed that you started out talking about sliders and people ended up talking about spools. Spools for race stands? There is a big difference in the strength requirements for those two items. Me personally I wouldnt use a rivnut for spools and there is no way it will hold a slider on in a crash. You could look at having Dean machine you some type of peg that mounts under your axle bolt like a freestyle bicycle. I would use steel or 6061 alluminum for a base and thread a delrin slider into it.(you could use 7075 but it may be to brittle for a crash) Leave a lot of overlap and dont make the delrin part to long or it may shear off instead of sliding. Unless your riding in the snow again . Let me know if you think this would work or send me a pic of your swingarm and ill see if i can come up with something else.

As for spools I would drill and tap the hole in the side of your swingarm. Most of the stress should be on the top and bottom of your swingarm. Although there is some stress on the sides so I would keep the holes fairly small and be sure to deburr them.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesf4i
    Dysco
    are you just looking to avoid damage?
    After re reading this thread,I noticed that you started out talking about sliders and people ended up talking about spools......
    As for spools I would drill and tap the hole in the side of your swingarm. Most of the stress should be on the top and bottom of your swingarm.
    Well when he mentions swingarm sliders, I'm sure you're familar with those for street bikes, they make regular spools and slider spools. That would explain how it got from sliders to race stand spools. Some of us are looking into adding spools to our bikes, as dysco was looking for ways to add sliders to his dirt swingarm. For us, we think "Spool Sliders!"

As for drillig and tapping a hole, how exactly would you do that? The swingarm is a hollow box section, can't exactly "tap" threads into a thin sheet of aluminum. Unless you mean the machined section at the end like I mentioned earlier. Only problem is it'll be too close to the axle for wheel removal/adjustment. Me and Alex would surely like to know if there is a better option, I mean the three of us ride the same bikes, the F4i.

Quote Originally Posted by yakuza
    I can't think of any Honda's that come with spools. But I think the 8mm is the right size. It won't really matter though, just buy the size spool you want, and then get nutserts that will fit the spool post.
    I believe the Rc-51, 954, 600rr and maybe even the 929 came with spools and they're 8mm.