Thread: IMI Question

IMI Question

The last time I was at IMI I crashed for the first time ever. I believe I hit one of those black 1ft long seams and the front was too cold and I was riding too fast for the conditions (Jan) Why the hell did they put those seams in and could someone confirm that the track is still ridable and it's not deteriorating to the point where bikes have no grip?

Thanks

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Re: IMI Question

I can confirm that the track is ridable, but also deteriorating. The black strips do make for a challenge.

We try to go almost once a week. Yeah, it's not the best, but it is only $25 for the whole day... You just have to pick your lines closely; or ride a MOTARD!! WooHoo!!
    dave.
    "Helping motorcycles live up to their potential."
    www.STMSuspension.com

Quote Originally Posted by irdave
    We try to go almost once a week. Yeah, it's not the best, but it is only $25 for the whole day... You just have to pick your lines closely; or ride a MOTARD!! WooHoo!!
    +1

Have you ridden any of out other tracks past and present? They all have "challenges" and people crash on them all the time. Almost with out exception it is rider error (ie: too cold of tires, poor line choice, etc.).
    But it is still safer than aggressive street riding.

So what is usually the best line in reguard to the cart line? I've noticed if you are way off their line you pick up ungodly amounts of their flicked off rubber and you have a thin layer of useless rubber between your tire and the pavement. It would be very difficult to use or stay close to a cart line but is this the safest place?

My two cents would be if you're going to track ride in January you'd be better off with sport touring tires than something like a DOT race tire (don't know if that's what you were on or not). I ran some race takeoffs a couple years back and had too many um, moments of tire spin/slippage when the weather got cold.
    As far as IMI, just come out, take it easy til you get comfortable and have fun! I just look at it as it's cheaper than a speeding or careless ticket
    Eric
    CSBA#477
    00 Triumph Sprint RS
    www.cocsba.com

Oh yea, not only were they DOT's but they were old and hard sitting in the garage all winter. Big mistake, but my only crash in over 30 trackdays so not too bad.

going out saturday if you want to join.