Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winter BBG Ride?

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Bummer

Harry Biker wrote:

I'm still planning on chowin @ the Bear, so unless the wx turns to crap I'll see you there @ 10:30-ish.

Anyone else that wants to meet to eat we could hook up @ Panera or similar, & then roll South
    Would ----- but the ice flow has me in dry dock
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Will,
    Do me a fave & let me know road status & I'll check back here Sunday AM.
    Thanks,
    Harry

Alrighty, I'm rollin @ 9am. Hope to see you there.

?? ??

I just got in from Reno. I thought you said the 22nd?

FWIW, 4 dirt days in Reno is a great cure for PMS (parked motorcycle syndrome)...
    IBA #10979 - SS1K, All-Dirt SS1K, SS2K, SS3K, 100CCC, BBGold, TCGold

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Get it right

GSL wrote:

I thought you said the 22nd?
    He did. I keep lurking here.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

The weather guessers are saying snow on the 22nd... I busted one of the zippers on the leg of my gerbing last weekend. Gerbing said that they would fix them under warrantee but I won't have them back in time for Sunday if I send them now. At least the Velcro still works... So is the 22nd still on?

I sent the seat to my FJR to Russel for the "Day Long" treatment. They are running behind and won't have it done till sometime next week. My old KZ1300 is down waiting on time to rework the carburators again so I will be on the ZX12R for the next couple of weeks.. Gee life is tough

I'd say the 22nd is still on!

If the weather in Woodland Park doesn't cooperate, we could meet at King Chef in C. Springs? Or the Gooseberry Patch in Penrose?

Or?? ?? ??

If we met at the Gooseberry, we could follow up with some dirt riding at PMP....

Quote Originally Posted by GSL
    we could follow up with some dirt riding at PMP....
    Is that supposed to be training for my haul road adventure this summer?

You know it was kinda funny? as I was rolling South on 2/15 for our bkfst mtg & the thought crossed my mind that I mighta said the 22nd!

Sure enjoyed that corned beef hash & eggs with the huge flapjacks on the side.Burp. I think Jeanna the receptionist was diggin my MC garb. If only she were 40 years younger

Anyhoo, sorry I screwed that up. Now I'm not so sure I can attend on the 22nd!

Was thinking how today would've been a great day to tackle the BBG with temps a good 20+degrees above norm. Just about 12 hours of daylight too!
    Reno in February on the dirt....Tasty!

You know all this talk of dirt doesn't help things a bit... I sold my KTM LC4 just before I move up here

I guess I am going to miss the 22nd... I've decided to make a run down to Las Cruces where it is a bit warmer and visit some friends. I'll have my satellite tracking on Check it out... http://www.star-traxx.com log on with "star-traxx" and a password of "demo". I'll be the ZX12 of course. I will explain more about this later

That's pretty cool! I might have to get one of those for my trip across Canada, so Jen can follow my progress.[/img]

Hey OldKneeDragger,

How about let's do that BBG this coming weekend? The weather looks pretty good for it.

Will

I almost did one last weekend It was one of those spur of the moment thoughts that cross your mind on a Friday afternoon when nobody is looking I was running the satellite tracking system again and prepared a little report using the system...

http://www.star-traxx.com/TripReport...pID=1050526368

What time do you want to leave.. It would totally mess with my sleep patterns but if we left in the mid afternoon we could do all the mountains when it is warm (going and comming) and spend the middle of the night riding where it is warm (Arizona). I have a lot on my plate this week but I'm game unless something unexpected happens between now and then!

Yeah, I was thinking it would be good to take off late morning or noon, be in AZ at night, and then get back home late morning or noon.

If ya want, you could spend the night up here in Woodland Park and my wife could sign us out whenever we got up and felt like moving.

Then, you're wife could sign us in at Pueblo.

Sumtin' like this... (1573.6 miles) Actually, it's only 1555 if you take out that kink to Alamosa (via route 17) with a straight line. I'm just too lazy to repost the pic.

I can see everybody is going to have heck with me all week long now that you have this in my head I need to go to Farmington on Wednesday and I hope to be back late Thursday... Actually, the later the better as I haven't slept past 6:00 AM in a long time this will help me shift my sleep pattern.

A very interesting route between Woodland Park and Pueblo, not too many people would see the beauty in that short cut I’m not sure if I should ride up the morning we leave or what. I always have trouble sleeping before an exciting ride and probably should try to have as few as distractions as possible.

The bottle necks I see on the proposed route are:

1) Getting From I10 in Phoenix across 60 east of town. As I recall, there are lots of stop lights going through Tempe. Night time would definately be best to advoid traffic, but you still have to keep a good eye out for drunks leaving the bars depending on the time.

2) From a bigger picture, Highway 60 from Globe to Show low has some really nice twisties and sweepers. It's a fun road during the day if traffic isn't too bad. Could be a little slow if in the middle of the night looking for desert rats.

3) Santa Fe is the pits with traffic all the way to Espanola almost anytime.

All are doable but I'd like to think about it a bit... If we left early in the morning, say around 6 or 7 with a goal of getting to Show Low before dark, then we could just make a bee line to I25 and spend the night droning on the Freeway.

But heck, now you see the problem, I just get too excited thinking of the possibilities

Just a thought...

Yep, yep, that route looks good too.

To be honest, I generally have a hard time sleeping once the sun comes up. My daily work schedule is 4:30 am to 2:30 pm. On weekends, I have a hard time sleeping beyond 7am. When I did my first SS1K, I woke up at 2am and just said to hell with it. Wife signed me out and I was on my way. Other rides have varied in this regard. I'm game for "whatever".

I will prep my bike as if "it's on". And we can decide Friday....

Oh, and, I plan on riding my BMW for the extra elec outlets and heated grips, so I tend to ride slow(er) and steady (10-15 over), as opposed to being on the Falco (20 something over). Ironically, I average better on the BMW because I stop for gas half as often.

Cheers!

Sounds good... I think we will be riding the same speed... I'll be back in Farmington tomorrow and we can finialize things. So do you have 12V easily accessable on your bike? Can we put a Star-Traxx tracking thing on it as well? Might be fun to have a "respectiable bmw" with one

You know, I don't know where I am It looks like maybe this is Farmington I'm in now, I rode the ZX12 over last night and it was cold as heck on Cumbres Pass at 9:00 PM ... I was just praying I would make Chama so I could get a room and warm up Things got warmer as I came off the mountain and I went on into Farmington. I've got the bike in the back of a rented truck loaded with a lot of stuff I am moving and am about to head back to PUEBLO... yeah, that's where I think I live now,,,, sometimes I forget

I need to look, but I am told that we can catch the 101 north of Phoenix off of I17 and ride the diamond lanes all the way to apache junction where we catch highway 60... no stop lights at all. If we leave at 7:00 AM, I'm thinking it will be around 6 or 7 PM when we are there so traffic on a Saturday shouldn't be a problem

That would give me Sunday to recover and try to make it right with the wife

"respectiable bmw" ?? You've never seen my bike...

Yeah, it's got 12V accessible all over the place. The frame, the gas tank, the handlebars, the...

But seriously, I've got two BMW style plugs on the thing. One I use for my electric vest and the other already has a splitter to run the GPS and detect rads. I don't have a volt meter on it, so I don't really know how much I'm hittin' it. I suppose it could juice up one more gadget, but will want to do some research before playing with the electrical system the night before a big ride. How much power does it draw out?

Also, in the interest of full disclosure, I gotta say my name slid slightly over towards the "maybe" column when I got home from work today. Long story short, I've got to rebuild a dog kennel before the weekend. Will keep you informed...

Ok, false alarm. I'm back into the "let's roll" column.

I was able to scab together some 2 x 4 and plywood and patch the hole in the kennel, so it's good as new. Well, "good as new" in a West Virginia sort of way. (I can say that, cuz I'm from there)

So, it's on! Any route, any time, is good for me. I just want to get out and ride all weekend.

Will, that sounds like some "hoopies" technology...... the beemer looks like R2D2 after a bad drinking binge!!!!
    you guys ride safe! weather looks great; i'm tempted to ride to Padre Island and back...
    --worked Weirton/Wheeling for 5 years--
    henry
    "its boxy, its fast..."

iba#14410 -- 1kss, bbg, 50cc, 2kss, 3kss and b2b_insanity completed -- it has been 4 years.
    UPDATE bbg_insanity will run somewhere btwn APR-JUN 09