Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winter BBG Ride?

Quote Originally Posted by towneh
    Will, that sounds like some "hoopies" technology...... the beemer looks like R2D2 after a bad drinking binge!!!!
    you guys ride safe! weather looks great; i'm tempted to ride to Padre Island and back...
    --worked Weirton/Wheeling for 5 years--
    henry
    Woah, few people have actually heard of "hoopies". My mother-out-law is a real one, too. Made those metal "hoops" for the whiskey kegs - true hoopie.

I'm from Morgantown and spent many a high school/college night trolling in Wheeling.

Padre Island and back in a weekend? Cool! SS2K. I wish Texas at night didn't suck so bad. Watch out for the ever present deer. Also, a new Texas state law that is not entirely well advertised - if you see a cop ahead of you on the shoulder with his lights on, you have to move to the left lane and fall 10 mph below the posted limit. However, they may go easy on out of staters.

Ride safe!
    IBA #10979 - SS1K, All-Dirt SS1K, SS2K, SS3K, 100CCC, BBGold, TCGold

Power consumption is very low... in the idle mode it consumes less than 80mA (less than 1 watt) when it transmitts, once per hour, it will consume up to 10 watts for a couple of seconds then go back to the low power mode.

I understand your reludance on short notice, but it should be a snap to bungie it on or something. I've never really looked at the BMW plugs, but I wouldn't expect any challenges that we couldn't overcome.

I had a tire waiting for me when I got home this evening. Gerbing promises that I will have my electric pants by Friday. The FJR provides a lot better wind protection than the ninja does, I sure which I had those pants yesterday...

If we want to get the BBG certification from the IBA then we will need TWO witnesses at the start and at the end. They suggest, but don't require that you follow the rules for the extreeme rides (pre approved witness or law enforcement type). So I guess that we at least need one more witness at each end besides our wifes. Anybody like early mornings and want to play witness? (I'll buy the breakfast and coffee )

It has been my understanding that two regular witnesses can be replaced by one IBA member (see Extreme Ride Rules - "Find at least one police officer, firefighter, judge, notary public or authorized Iron Butt Association member"). This was the case when we rode the 100CC last year. I only had one person sign me in and one person sign me out. In both cases, that person was already an IBA member.

If this sounds correct to you, my wife's signature will suffice for the start of the ride. She's certifiable, er, I mean, certified.

I will check the MTF Tourer's Assistant list and see if anyone is in Pueblo. I'm also gonna run down to the cop shop down the street and ask if they would be willing.

Loopty
    Pronounced with an "oopty"
    I'm in, just meet at my house in the morning, ok?
    MRA 33 (Retired)
    502- RIP my brother

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopty
    I'm in, just meet at my house in the morning, ok?
    COOL! Just make sure you got fresh oil and tires, and maybe lay off the wheelies for the next 1575 miles...

Loopty
    I was actually referring to signing you guys out. :P I don't think I could handle 1500 in a day, especially with the clip-ons that I have on the SV right now!

Very funny on the wheelie part.
    MRA 33 (Retired)
    502- RIP my brother

I was actually referring to signing you guys out.
    Yeah, I know. Just givin ya she-it...

So the cops down the street said that, barring some unforeseen disaster that keeps them tied to the telephone, they would be happy to sign us out.

So, unless there are any objections, our official starting point is the Woodland Park Police Department, 911 Tamarac Parkway, Woodland Park, CO 80863. Say, 7 or 8 am Saturday morning? It's about 1.5 miles out of town on Highway 67 north.

Again, you're welcome to crash at my place Friday night.

Ok, this is looking good! I have a new tire being mounted as we speak. The bike has been serviced and is ready to go. The only thing I don't have on the bike now is the radar detector and I don't see this as a bonzi ride so I probally won't even worry about that.

You have the witness lined up for the start... I guess I better find out where the cop shop is here for the finish...

So what do you think of breakfast at 6:30 somewhere in Woodland park? I don't know what time I will get done on Friday and when I will be heading up that way.. I will just grab a room at the Country Inn and try to get a good nights sleep before we take off on Saturday

6:30 breakfast at the Hungry Bear?

Actually, how about 6:15. That way we'll get done before the breakfast crowd shows up at 7, and we could just have Trish the waitress be our second witness. She's a moto-cross mom and I'm sure she'd be happy to help as long as the place isn't busy.

One last thing, could you email your .est file of the final route selection? I've only got the rough waypoints worked out and it sounds like you've got more detail (to avoid traffic lights).

Thanks,
    Will
    eurobikedenver@yahoo.com

Also, I might be able to arrange to have Ray, a moto-cross friend of mine who lives in Pueblo West, meet us somewhere and sign us in at 7am(ish) on Sunday morning. We just need to pick a place to meet.

My wife Jen also offered to sign us in. Her and Ray are motocrossing at the motorsports park on Sunday. She wasn't going to get there until 9, but would be willing to show up earlier if we need.

So cool... Now if Gerbing doesn't let me down. They promised that they would repair my pants and send them back to me by today. UPS shows up late (around 6 PM) so this will be down to the wire.

my direct email is ron@neartime.com and my cell is 719-251-0140

btw, I'm in this more for the ride than the bbg, if you have any other ideas for a nice little 1500+ mile way to get from Woodland Park to Pueblo then I'm very open to suggestion. Fact of the mater is, I love to go where I haven't been before and I've been on the roads we have mapped out many times before.

It's all fun!

Ron

I just got the tracking number for my Gerbing pants... They sent them to the wrong address. They are showing up today at our old office in Farmington. I guess it's a good thing we are going that direction, I need to make a very fast pit stop there and pick them up along the way. They will be most needed in the wee hours of Sunday.

Of course that means that it is going to be a bit cool pulling out in the morning

Great ride!

Now, I need some more sleep...

I really enjoyed the ride! It's great to ride with someone else who has the same general style Anytime you want to come up with another short cut between Woodland Park and Pueblo, let me know! I'll ride with ya...

and the best part is...
    NO PERFORMANCE AWARDS ALONG THE WAY

congratulations guys!!!! glad to hear that it went smmooooooooth and no special recognition! gotta get my aux lights mounted and a detector before i go for my next adventure.
    cheers,
    henry
    "its boxy, its fast..."

iba#14410 -- 1kss, bbg, 50cc, 2kss, 3kss and b2b_insanity completed -- it has been 4 years.
    UPDATE bbg_insanity will run somewhere btwn APR-JUN 09

Yep, yep you are an EXCELLENT riding partner! Thanks man! You picked a great route and it was much easier riding with someone the whole way.

Can't wait for the next one.... Border to Border? Scobey, MT, to El Paso, TX?

Board Newbie
    Hey- Congrads to you both! I really enjoyed being able to log into the internet and check yer progress from time to time using that tracking map, so thanks for letting me do that!

Loopty
    Might as well make it Montreal to San Diego, GSL. Not that you're ever down that...
    MRA 33 (Retired)
    502- RIP my brother

Might as well make it Montreal to San Diego, GSL. Not that you're ever down that...
    Believe me, I almost didn't make that one. That's the last time I ever go out partying in Montreal with a bunch of young studs, the night before an endurance ride...

Hey OldKneeDragger, what's the cost to get set up with one of those tracking devices? I know Jen really liked it because I'm always real lazy about calling in from the road.

Here is the data I assembled using Star-Traxx
    http://www.star-traxx.com/TripReport...ripID=76735405

Woohoo! Got my BBG certificate in the mail today!