Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dealership dilemma…

Dealership dilemma…

Enter dealership X, I’m not naming names cuz I don’t want to burn any bridges, but I need to get this off my chest. Sorry for being so long but its kind of a long story. ***Cliff notes at the end***

1.) I was very impressed with them as they got my estimate done the business day after I brought the bike in.
    2.) Not so much impressed when I went to check on it and they missed some stuff, but no big deal, they added it and the insurance paid up.
    3.) They order the parts, 7 days later I have still not heard from them so I call them. They have most of the parts and will work on my bike the next day.
    4.) Next day, towards the end of the day, once again no phone call so I call them, they say the bike is ready minus the few non essential parts and I can pick it up.
    5.) An hour later as I’m getting ready to head out, “we ran into some problems, broke a baring inside one of the engine covers (not sure which one) can’t get the bike back together. Have to order a new one”… what the fuck? Again I have to wait for another part, 5-7days. But no big deal, I wanted to ride but this way they wil have all the parts on the bike when I pick it up.
    6.) 7 days later again, and again no phone call so I call them first thing in the morning. They have the parts and I request they work on it that day. They agree and say it will be done “late afternoon”.
    7.) I call them prior to heading out and to my dismay… “We are having problems.” What kind of problems? “We broke a bearing”… WHAT THE SHIT?! They next day a new bearing and say they will call me…
    8.) 3 days later, again no phone call so first thing in the morning on the 4th day I call them! They got the part and put the bike together the previous day… so why no call?

Up to this point nothing has really bothered me too much, I mean shit happens. They could have called me to update me but w/e… now we get into what really pisses me off.

9.) I pick up the bike and as I’m riding it feels “off” to me, I figure it’s just cuz I have not ridden in so long and may be a bit hesitant due to my accident.
    10.) Get the bike home and go to detail it and what the fuck do I find? Three of the parts they installed are scratched. (Ram air cover, and both left hand side engine covers). One of them very obviously an install scratch where the tech slipped with a power tool and made a squiggly line across my cover.
    11.) Add to that the fact that my left clip on, feels bent to me, not by much but that’s why I was feeling off while riding it. I had a few people sit on the bike and everyone confirmed that it was indeed bent. Also, it seems that there is road grime on it, dirt. So that leads me to believe that it was not replaced and they just charged me anyway.
    12.) I call them and “ um… well… um.. yeah…” so I take the bike back down and show them and they service manager just stands there not really saying anything. I’m hinting at what I already know to be true, they scratched the parts during install and did not replace my clip on. He says he needs to talk to his boss (thought he was the service manager) about the scratched parts and will call me.
    13.) When asked about the clip on he says it does not feel off to him and they will have to check it out, when asked why its dirty.. he says that it may be a protective spray that Yamaha puts on all its metal parts so they don’t rust in shipping. OH FUCKING REALLY?! Yamaha put a dirt like grimy spray on my aluminum non rusting clip on, and even if they did why did the tech not clean it off prior to install? I don’t want to argue so I let it go, tell him to call me when he has talked to his boss.
    14.) A few days later still no call so I ONCE A-FUCKING-GAIN call them, he tells me he did not talk to his boss yet but he went ahead and ordered the parts anyway and they will take care of it… so why did he not call me and inform me of this? I thank him and tell him to call me when the parts come in (5-7 days later)
    15.) I have since called them twice and the parts they got in 5 days or so the first time they ordered them have yet to arrive nearly two fucking weeks later (13 days today).
    16.) All this and I still have to find out just what the fuck to do about my bent clip on since that matter is not resolved yet.

*** So the short short version. The dealership 1) either scratched my parts during install or installed scratched parts and did not tell me about it. 2) Did (to the best of my knowledge) not replace the clip on but charged me. 3) Has yet to call me when parts arrive, service is complete, or components broken during install, etc.

So for those of you that have read this far, what should I do?

Two Down, God only knows how many to go... Fucking DEER!

Re: Dealership dilemma…

Damn, man. Sure sounds like my Grand Prix experience. I wrote a nasty email to the GM there and was basically called a liar. I'll never step foot in their dealership again. Unfortunatly that's the only recourse I have.

AKA "Devaclis"

Contact the BBB and the Dealer Board. I make that a habbit now when I feel wronged and the stealerships will not assist in resolving my issues.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

I say burn'em and let us know what dealership this is!

I'd report them to the better Business Buerue (sp)
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Have you spoken to the General Manager/Store Manager?
    I hope they make this right for you!
    2011 Ducati 848 Evo "Bautista"
    2002 Honda RC-51 "Big Boi"

"Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn!"

You would be amazed at how many people bring me their bikes after they've been worked on at a dealership or shop. The dealerships are, by far, the worst!!

It's not rocket science, why can't these dip shits get it right?!?!? Oh yeah, they're dip shits, that's why!!!

I guess I'm going to have to start a repair shop along with the tire service I've been doing

Imagine - quality work done technically correct at a fair price. I think the world would stop turning!!

Unfortunately, I have no time to do something like that!! At least, not right now. Maybe some day...
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

No I have not spoken to anyone but the Service manager; I don’t really want to take it that far. I’m just getting frustrated with how long everything takes and the fact that I have to call them all the time… but they are resolving my issues with the scratched parts.

It’s really just come down to what I should do if they don’t find anything wrong with my clip on. It’s not overly bent, just a few millimeters and they could easily claim they replaced it. The only thing I have to go on that they did in fact not replace it is that it feels off to me, it’s dirty (I don’t buy that protective spray story) and the workmanship they put into the rest of the parts, i.e. breaking 2 bearings that should not break on 2 separate occasions, and either scratching my parts or installing obviously scratched parts they received from Yamaha and not telling me.

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Don't buy a Yama-dog
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

I'm a lot like you, I try to be nice and patient but at this point it's time for some heads to fly, print out your itinerized list and go to the shop in person and talk with the gm in person and don't leave til u hear what you like. Bring some BBB info and small claims paperwork with ya.
    It's a celebration bitches!!! - RIP 502

Motos:
    2003 SV1000N - Dual Yosh RS3 CF Exhaust ••••• 09' Aprilia SR50 (Wife's) ••••• 93' ZX-11 - Sold after 43k Miles
    Cars:
    08' Audi S5 6MT •••• 10' VW TDI Cup Edition 6MT •••• 02' VW TDI Beetle 5MT •••• 07' Ford Explorer

^ Yeah I'm kind of leaning the same way... The First estimate was done on 6/17/06 ... so over a month and a hlaf now and my bike is still not back to it's former glory. Dont get me worng, I don't want to sue these guys or call the bbb.. They have been good to me in the past and I don't want to blow this out of porportion. I just either want my bike the way it should be, they way i paid for it to be, or my money back for the scratched/non relpaced parts and labor. Not to much to ask is it?
    Last edited by Volition; Wed Aug 2nd, 2006 at 07:21 PM.

You really need to tell us what Bonehead shop this is.
    95 ZX9, 02 GSXR1000

Ask for your old parts back. I believe by law they have to hang on to them for a certain period of time. Or maybe thats just warrenty stuff. Also in their defense, this is the busy time of the year for dealerships and they are literally overrun with bikes needing repair work. That could possibly explain why things are taking so long. Now having said that... Your bike should be repaired correctly when you get it back. Parts that are damaged should not be used. You should always inspect their work and try to notice damaged parts before you take delivery of the bike. That way they cant say "how do we know you didnt scratch them when you got home?" Give them a chance to fix your issues, and if they take care of you great. Maybe they are looking at firing the sloppy tech anyway or are having problems getting damaged parts from the manufacturer. If they do not take care of your problems by all means mention them by name on the board. If they cannot do good enough work to keep a good reputation than they deserve a bad one.

Well put Mikesf4i, I have been thinking the same thing for a while now. I should have noticed the scratches when I picked it up but I was in a hurry and did not think to check to see if they put damaged parts on my bike (I will in the future for sure).

I picked up the bike on Saturday and noticed the scratches after closing but called them first thing Tuesday to make sure they could not pull the, we didn’t do it card, I also took pics of the parts with a time stamp just to make sure.

They also seem to work on my bike in a prompt manor but only after I call them, so they’re apparently not to busy to do the work just to start doing the work.

I really am trying to give them the benefit of the doubt but it’s hard when they are not being proactive at all.

In any case I believe you should never put scratched parts on a bike, whether or not they received them that way or it happened during install, let alone do so w/o informing the customer. They have already ordered those parts and I have been waiting for them for 2 weeks now. The real issue is the clip on, and if they in fact can not produce my old clip on I have no other choice but to assume that they did not replace it and that is so not cool.

Go down and talk to the GM. Ask him what he would do if he was the customer and he was in your shoes. Be civilized up to the point that he says that he would just wait it out, then cock back and knock his ass out! Then while he is on the ground, roll him over and shove the bent clip-on up his..... Nevermind. Just report the dealership to the BBB, that would be easier. Hope you get your bike back soon!
    2009 Ducati 1198S
    2001 Red Ducati 996 (Sold)
    2006 Black-n-Grey GSXR 1000 (Sold)
    2003 Silver GSXR 1000 (Sold)
    2005 CRF 450 (Sold)
    2006 CRF 250X (Sold)

You need to go straight to the top with a phonecall, then letter, and follow up with a personal meeting. Fuck the service manager, he is just a hired pee-on like the shop help. As for you wanting to give them the benifit of a doubt Are you nuts They have repeatedly lied to you about your bike, taken WWaaaayyyy to long to do repairs. AND after the things that they have told you, and that you have found, how do you know that they really did all the work in the first place. I would not be surprised if you missed a few more things on the bike that were not fixed correctly. They are fucking you and you are in denial. Go right the top and put a stop to this. And name the shop so others don't get screwed or worse.

Good luck
    Christopher MRA 915
    02 GSXR 750 (first racer)
    04 R1 (current racer)
    02 VTX 1800R (gone)
    02 Shawdow 750 (gone)
    05 ST 1300
    02 WR 426
    95 KX 250
    03 Zuma
    06 PW 50 (Hunters first bike)

Filing a report with the BBB is a great idea, however, so many businesses have no intention of providing customer service and never join the BBB. Every time I've checked to see how many complaints a business has, they're never a member. Therefore, no one to file a compaint with.

With that said, you should just cough up their name. Filing a report with the CSC appears to have a better response.
    Last edited by Kim-n-Dean; Thu Aug 3rd, 2006 at 09:59 AM.
    Kim & Dean

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean
    With that said, you should just cough up their name. Filing a report with the CSC appears to have a better responce.
    Yep, I would be interested to know which shop this is as I am up North. Always nice to have more information (good and bad) about places.
    ...you're one of them, aren't you? No, I'm something else...

It's a trick. Get an axe.
    ~~~ ~~~

"I say let the sky continue to fall on those that expect nothing else, and let the sky continue to be limitless, for those of us who will settle for nothing less." Barn in a sublime moment (well-done!)

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

I understand the desire for the benefit of the doubt...but, over a month? Uh, uh. It took nearly 7 weeks for a place in Loveland to do a carb rebuild on my old KZ. I never got a call from them...I always called them about it. They always had excuses and when it came time to pick it up and pay the bill, they wanted to charge me more...something about it taking longer to get the job done...yea, whatever. I said, "you're kidding, right...do you care about customer retention at all? I'm not paying that much." I talked them down, but not enough. I'm never going back. And, I don't have proof of whether or not they were telling me the truth the whole time.

If you want to continue giving your money to this shop, but you're not so sure...do some more research. Find out if they were telling you the truth about the spray stuff on clip on. If they were lying, they'll lie about anything.

Then, please tell us what shop it is so we don't give them our patronage.
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

only fair to let us know which shop it is

maybe something can be done

it's not always what you know, sometimes it's who you know

maybe someone could get something resolved for you
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

Well, knowing the bike is an R1 and guessing it's a Yammie dealer up north...it's either Ft. Collins Motorsports or Twin Peaks. IMHO, sounds like Ft. Collins MS.

MtnAirLover...curious who you dealt with on the carb rebuild too???? (I have an idea or two but would like to know).
    Eric
    CSBA#477
    00 Triumph Sprint RS
    www.cocsba.com

Eric man you're crazy... crazy like a fox. But it's not FCMS,Though I admit it does sound like something they would do.

Reporting a company to the BBB is pretty much a joke. They even write on their website that they don't "take sides, just "facilitate communication". It ends up being a "your word versus their word" ordeal. I have never heard of a consumer actually getting anything resolved by the BBB or a company getting removed from the BBB. Companies pay money to be members, so why would the BBB want to kick them out or piss them off?

If anyone has had a success story, please share it. Like I said, I've never heard of anyone getting anywhere with them, but I haven't heard everything.

Sorry this is a bit off topic, Volition. I feel your pain, and am angered when a fellow rider is being taken advantage of by one of the very places that caters to our sport.
    Last edited by BHeth; Thu Aug 3rd, 2006 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Volition
    Eric man you're crazy... crazy like a fox. But it's not FCMS,Though I admit it does sound like something they would do.
    I just don't know what you're talkin' 'bout Mikey. I was wondering because I thought you were through with FCMS the last time So if it's not them and unmentionable hereabouts, call the GM and see what's up. Took my Pop's bike in for carb stuff and had kind of the same experience with having to call to check to see if it was done (they said they had called but no message was left).
    Ya need to just start doing your own work then you don't have to deal with this stuff.

Hey, you going to meet up Sat.? Come up to the Masonville store around 11-11:30.
    Eric
    CSBA#477
    00 Triumph Sprint RS
    www.cocsba.com

I can't help but think this would be a great time to modernize a popular saying.

The old phrase, "the world is paved with good intentions" needs to be updated to, "the world is paved with bull shit and excuses"
    Kim & Dean