Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dealership dilemma…

Re: Dealership dilemma…

What I would do is get in contact with the Consumer Protection Agency
    http://www.ago.state.co.us/consumer_...?MenuPage=True

My Mom used to work for this agency in N.M.. Believe me, when a business gets a call from them, they tend to shape up really quick!

Good luck, and I hope you get this matter resolved!
    Last edited by Big-J; Fri Aug 4th, 2006 at 10:17 AM.

well this sounds a lot like a dealership here in the aurora area.....FAY MYERS!!!! Either way it is better to just get a manual and do the work yourself... Granted it might take a little longer than a shop....except in your case...but you will know the work was actually done!!!
    My crotchrocket can out run and out manuver your hogg.......The best part is it cost half the price.
    2007 GSXR 1000
    2006 CBR 1000RR
    -DEFLAPPED
    -YOSHI RS 5
    -POWERCOMMANDER
    -520 CONVERSION
    -+2 REAR -1 FRONT
    -speedo healer

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by livinlife2themax
    well this sounds a lot like a dealership here in the aurora area.....FAY MYERS!!!! Either way it is better to just get a manual and do the work yourself... Granted it might take a little longer than a shop....except in your case...but you will know the work was actually done!!!
    Dude I realize you had a negative experience there, but this is like the 5th time you've posted up about it. We get it.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean
    You would be amazed at how many people bring me their bikes after they've been worked on at a dealership or shop. The dealerships are, by far, the worst!!

It's not rocket science, why can't these dip shits get it right?!?!? Oh yeah, they're dip shits, that's why!!!

I guess I'm going to have to start a repair shop along with the tire service I've been doing

Imagine - quality work done technically correct at a fair price. I think the world would stop turning!!

Unfortunately, I have no time to do something like that!! At least, not right now. Maybe some day...
    Dean come on now..........
    I know its easy to stereo type dealerships and trust me the Powersports industry has a horrible name behind it and reputation for stuff like this. As stated in numerous posts and many experiences.....I know not all dealerships are like that. Everyone makes mistakes, but as said throughout this thread....its how it is handled. I will say Twin Peaks is by far a totally different place to do business with........look through the shop experiences and so far......only positive and raving customers.
    Now...could this be us? Possibly yes. I have been so busy at the automotive facitily I have not been up to Twin Peaks very much at lately. I do know the author of this thread has been to our facility as well.....so I am starting to wonder if this is indeed our facility.
    1) If this is us I will follow up and ensure it is taken care of properly--that is our way.
    2) I don't know the whole story...only what I read here.
    3) Dealerships are SLAMMED...as someone stated previously......just drive by and look at the lot and how much is there between ATVs, Cylces, Boats, etc....its nuts.
    4) We are not perfect and by no means am I saying we are. However if this situation has gone exactly as stated I would be VERY surprised if it was. If so.....it will be delt with.....trust me on that!
    5) We are not dipshits.......believe it or not. Would I say some dealerships are....yes, from my own personal expereince. Some of them are like comparing Grease Monkey to Stan's Automotive.......2 different levels of service and knowledge. Our techs are 2nd to none!

I have sent Volition a PM to see if this is indeed us. I will also follow up with our service manager and my brother (the GM) and ask him as well.
    All in all I do appreciate this being brought forward, whether our facility or not. Things can get resolved this way and good things can come from it no matter how bad it seems. Learn and grow.

I think someone else asked for someone to post up a positive expereince.......many times hard to find this. You ALWAYS here about the negatives but individuals are very slow to post up about something positive and great. Those of you who have about Twin Peaks.....your appreciation does not go overlooked and I am sure you know that.

Stay tuned...............

Mike I think you have to stop hitting deer and you wont have any problems. or get a deer whistle for your helmet. Anyways I've been in the automotive buisness since the seventies and I am sure the bike buisness is just the same, but when you get parts from the manufacturer they are very well packed and overpacked. I cant beleive how sometimes a 2 to 6 inch item will be in a 2 foot long box with tons of wrap. What a waste. I am sure the tech scratched it, but its too bad they were trying to hide it I would have told you and reordered u another part while you ride it. Breaking 2 bearings now thats bad at least the tech should have asked the top tech for a little help. Thats how it is at my shop. I tell my guys if your not sure whats up, ASK! That way we keep breaking thing to a very minimum. or look for another job. The problem now adays is that alot of shops hire a master tech, (and I say this loosley, because I have known alot of crappy master techs, They can read well but cant multi task and screw up alot when they are working on 2 or 3 vehicles) and then alot of parts changers, It wasnt like that before,Alot of commisioned techs want to work on 5 or 6 vehicles at a time and just want to work on the gravy jobs (easy job good $) Dont take this the wrong way because not all shops are this way just alot of them are. So I hope all goes well and we will have to ride again,Come by the shop sometime OK Mike. got rid of the R6 now have the 750
    Perry
    '06 GSX-R750 '03 BMW 330ci ,03 R6 sold

Quote Originally Posted by Wahooman
    Dean come on now..........
    I know its easy to stereo type dealerships and trust me the Powersports industry has a horrible name behind it and reputation for stuff like this.
    Just stating my "generalized" opinion...

3) Dealerships are SLAMMED...as someone stated previously......just drive by and look at the lot and how much is there between ATVs, Cylces, Boats, etc....its nuts.
    I hear ya but, it's still no excuse to do bad work or any of the other things Volition mentioned. I have my own business too and the fact that I'm busy doesn't mean dick to the client if I screw something up. There are no excuses for bad communication or doing bad work!!

5) We are not dipshits.......believe it or not. Would I say some dealerships are....yes, from my own personal expereince. Some of them are like comparing Grease Monkey to Stan's Automotive.......2 different levels of service and knowledge. Our techs are 2nd to none!
    I don't think you're a dipshit, Curtis. But, I see you do think the same as me about other dealerships.

I think someone else asked for someone to post up a positive expereince.......many times hard to find this. You ALWAYS here about the negatives but individuals are very slow to post up about something positive and great.
    I had a good experience when I bought my two WR's. I was even thinking about posting it. Although, before I could, I went into the dealer the very next day and the salesman who sold me the bikes, walked right past me and grunted to me the usual "dealership" hello. You know the one I'm talking about, the mumbled hello that implies they have no time for you. He didn't even recognize me...

That's the second time that exact scenario has happened after a major purchase. Different dealer the first time and a much larger purchase (two new bikes, two new quads, all the gear and a new trailer.) I guess no one cares about repeat business!!
    Last edited by Kim-n-Dean; Mon Aug 7th, 2006 at 04:27 PM.
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Thanks everyone for your comments. I wont be releasing the name of the dealership simply because I believe that this issue is still unresolved and has not yet come to an impasse. I don’t want to go dragging someone’s business through the dirt just yet. I will however keep you up to date and if other stuff goes wrong (which I seriously doubt) will let you know whom I’m talking about.

What I can say is that posting here has already yielded positive results and I’m confident that my issues will be addressed and resolved. In retrospect I think I should have addressed GM earlier, but I really wanted to see just how this would play out w/o taking it to that level.

Perry, Thanks for confirming what I already thought, it means more coming from a mechanic then just me so I’m confident now that it’s was the techs fault and not shipping. 1 part maybe, but to receive 3 scratched parts and still install them… compound that with the 2 broken bearings and I’m fairly sure my clip-on was not replaced with a “new grime coated one” that feels off. Anyway, I will stop by the shop one of these days, I’ve actually been meaning to ask you about something that broke on my BMW but have forgotten about it time and time again. We’ll have to see what that gixer of yours can do one of these days.

Dean, you put it well. A shop being “slammed” is an excuse for taking a long time on repairs, not calling people back, etc… and I can understand that. But it is no excuses for crappy workmanship.

Curtis, Thanks for the PM. Nice to know you care about your shops reputation enough to Pm me without even knowing who I was talking about and offering to help me out. You know as much as I do, so from my point of view you do have the “whole story”. There might be some stuff I don’t know about but to the best of my knowledge I have left nothing out nor exaggerated anything.

Two Down, God only knows how many to go... Fucking DEER!

good to hear your getting things resolved
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

IT WAS US!!!! Wow...I bet you guys were DYING to hear that?

Seriously, I have been pretty proud of the fact that I have made it clear that my office has no door, no window, and is located on the showroom floor at Twin Peaks. With the exception of the last week, where I was offsite at Star Days all week (6:30am-10/11pm) followed by leaving at 4am Sunday morning for the Victory Dealer meeting, I pretty much live at Twin Peaks.

Those of you who have met me know that I'm a pretty darn easy guy to get along with. That being said, I'm disappointed that this is the first venue for me to hear of this issue, particularly because when you are working basically 7am-8 or 9pm every night, checking your "status" with the CSC isn't the highest priority--staying at work until my customers are taken care of IS my highest priority--I'm disappointed that we let one slip through.

That being said, the "mob mentality" thing really doesn't work for me. For anyone who has posted any variation of the following,

* Fuck the service manager,he's a peon
    (no, in fact he's a quality professional that has been with our family, between both businesses for over 8 years)
    * Call the BBB
    * Punch the GM in the mouth
    * Sue them
    * They're just dipshits anyway
    * I could do better out of my garage

or anything along those lines.......I would genuinely invite you to find someplace BESIDES Twin Peaks to have your service work performed.

For those of you who responded in reasonable person-speak...you are right--A simple phone call, or popping in and asking for the GM/Owner/Guy in charge/Someone besides the employee I'm having a problem with, would likely result in incredibly rapid, and incredibly satisfactory results.

Because we are closed today, I don't have the resources (with my 11mo old daughter here on my lap helping me type) to solve this today. However, I have sent Mike a PM asking him for a chance to get together this week, and we'll get this solved. I invite Mike to post back his feelings of how this was resolved once it was brought to my attention.

I want to make one thing perfectly clear--I'm disappointed that Mike started here, rather than with me, but he obviously was in a turmoil about what to do.

The response of this forum I think indicates that character of many who hang out here, and frankly, I'm glad Mike isn't responding the way some of you feel is appropriate.

If you feel flamed (insert various names here), I apologize--but I have a small crew who isn't PERFECT, but we do bust our asses everyday, and at the very least, I can go to bed at night knowing that we did our daily work ethically, with INTEGRITY, and our customers' best interests at heart.

Have we made mistakes? You bet, and we'll probably make more. With my daughter's help typing, I've probably even made a typo or two here in this post...but I will ALWAYS, PERSONALLY stand up for any mistake, miscommunication, or problem that is created between any member of my staff and any customer--- IF I am approached in a reasonable, non-inflammatory manner.

--Scott
    General Manager
    Twin Peaks Powersports
    'Punkin'
    * I don't have a fancy signature *

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin
    IT WAS US!!!! <snip>
    I want to make one thing perfectly clear--I'm disappointed that Mike started here, rather than with me, but he obviously was in a turmoil about what to do.
    <snip>
    --Scott
    General Manager
    Twin Peaks Powersports
    From the sixteen (16) outlined chronological items in his first post it sounded like he attempted to resolve the issue on numerous occasions with your employees but was, from his description, either given the runaround or ignored altogether. I hope he gives you all a second chance.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

IT WAS US!!!! Wow...I bet you guys were DYING to hear that?

Seriously, I have been pretty proud of the fact that I have made it clear that my office has no door, no window, and is located on the showroom floor at Twin Peaks. With the exception of the last week, where I was offsite at Star Days all week (6:30am-10/11pm) followed by leaving at 4am Sunday morning for the Victory Dealer meeting, I pretty much live at Twin Peaks.

Those of you who have met me know that I'm a pretty darn easy guy to get along with. That being said, I'm disappointed that this is the first venue for me to hear of this issue, particularly because when you are working basically 7am-8 or 9pm every night, checking your "status" with the CSC isn't the highest priority--staying at work until my customers are taken care of IS my highest priority--I'm disappointed that we let one slip through.

That being said, the "mob mentality" thing really doesn't work for me. For anyone who has posted any variation of the following,

* Fuck the service manager,he's a peon
    (no, in fact he's a quality professional that has been with our family, between both businesses for over 8 years)
    * Call the BBB
    * Punch the GM in the mouth
    * Sue them
    * They're just dipshits anyway
    * I could do better out of my garage

or anything along those lines.......I would genuinely invite you to find someplace BESIDES Twin Peaks to have your service work performed.

For those of you who responded in reasonable person-speak...you are right--A simple phone call, or popping in and asking for the GM/Owner/Guy in charge/Someone besides the employee I'm having a problem with, would likely result in incredibly rapid, and incredibly satisfactory results.

Because we are closed today, I don't have the resources (with my 11mo old daughter here on my lap helping me type) to solve this today. However, I have sent Mike a PM asking him for a chance to get together this week, and we'll get this solved. I invite Mike to post back his feelings of how this was resolved once it was brought to my attention.

The response of this forum I think indicates that character of many who hang out here, and frankly, I'm glad Mike isn't responding the way some of you feel is appropriate.

If you feel flamed (insert various names here), I apologize--but I have a small crew who isn't PERFECT, but we do bust our asses everyday, and at the very least, I can go to bed at night knowing that we did our daily work ethically, with INTEGRITY, and our customers' best interests at heart.

Have we made mistakes? You bet, and we'll probably make more. With my daughter's help typing, I've probably even made a typo or two here in this post...but I will ALWAYS, PERSONALLY stand up for any mistake, miscommunication, or problem that is created between any member of my staff and any customer--- IF I am approached in a reasonable, non-inflammatory manner.

--Scott
    General Manager
    Twin Peaks Powersports
    Now, keep in mind that I write all this crap with a "tongue-in-cheek" attitude, however, it doesn't lessen the validity of the point.

Are you saying that if you're not there, this is what can happen? I don't mean that as harsh as it may sound but, you stated that you were out of the shop all week. That kind of implies to me that that's the case.

I'm also curious why mistake after mistake was made and why the customer was NEVER called at any point to let him know what was going on. Are you saying that the employees are competent as long as the head cheese is around?

FWIW - Anyone who says, "I could do better out of my garage" or any of the other comments you didn't like, probably wouldn't be bringing you their bike anyway.

As for my "dipshit" comment, it has nothing to do with you or Curtis or Twin Peaks (I had no clue who Volition was talking about as he never mentioned it). I feel that way about any employee at just about any business. It's fact, most people have no clue what they are doing. Just the way I feel and the reason I do EVERYTHING myself. Electrical, plumbing, capentry, mechanics, it doesn't matter. Quality work starts at the end of my fingertips I just wish I wasn't so damn lazy, I'd get a lot more done...
    Last edited by Kim-n-Dean; Mon Aug 7th, 2006 at 04:47 PM.
    Kim & Dean

Just to clear a few things up: I did not post this to debase Twin Peaks in any way, they have been helpful and courteous to me in every other encounter I’ve had with them. I did not want to use this forum as a means to get the attention of the management of twin peaks, though I admit I knew they frequent the board and was hoping they would run across this thread. This post was primarily a means to vent about a situation I had grown frustrated with, secondly I wanted some advice and comments… most of which were helpful (thanks guys).

As for starting here Scott, I did not intend to bring this situation to you by means of this thread. And I had “started” with Dallas, I wrote this after I had decided not to call anyone at twin peaks for at least a week to see if I had simply been too hasty and not given Dallas a chance to call me, or if I really did have to call every other day to get things moving forward. After reading some of the comments I had every intention of calling you this week, and speaking to you personally as I saw that that would have been the proper course of action. Sorry if you feel that I went behind your back somehow but until you mentioned it no one knew I was talking about you.

In any case, since hearing from your brother and you, I feel confident that you will again earn my business in the future… though I’d rather not have that same tech touch my bike again.

Two Down, God only knows how many to go... Fucking DEER!

Disregarding anything related to Mike's issue...for those of you who don't know.

I've got about 12 employees. 2 Technicians. Yup, we're busy. Last week was the annual Star Days Rally, which this year happened to be in Longmont. Star Days is the "official, unofficial" Yamaha Cruiser event. STAR Touring expected 1200-1800 riders. I don't know what the official count was, but I'd guess around 400-600 people. (including two-ups).

In preparation for Star Days, Yamaha consigned us approx 30k in inventory (normal store level is about 5k), Barons Custom Accessories consigned us about 70k in inventory. This meant for about 10 days before the event, and for probably the next week, I've got two employees (remember I have 12 total) JUST dealing with what we sold/what we got/what we owe, etc.

During Star Days (which is when PART of Mike's issue happened), I had exactly half my staff at the store, and half off-site, including myself.

Are these excuses? No. But, they should serve as some explanation as to why for the last 3 weeks or so, TP has been "haywire". The upside is, miraculously, we pulled off what in the past has taken DOZENS of people to do..this is a real credit to my staff for their dedication, and willingness to work ridiculous hours to make it happen.

We also handled 4 or 5 "Yamaha Problems", at the request of Yamaha Motor Corp, USA which were out of state riders, and a few out of Country riders that would have been stranded without our efforts, (and the efforts of Yamaha's technical support overnighting parts from across the country)

Again, no excuses, just some explanation. This store can run just fine without me, under normal circumstances. Take our staff, cut it in half, and multiply our store traffic by approximately 10X (most of which wasn't "just shopping", it was all PROBLEM stuff), and I think even the best quarterback, and best team might catch a few penalties, and turn the ball over a few times.
    'Punkin'

Quote Originally Posted by Volition
    Though I’d rather not have that same tech touch my bike again.
    For reasons completely unrelated, and in no way derogoratory to that technician, he is no longer with us.

That being said, I have no issue with the way you brought this up (but I do wish you'd have just called me, I'm a pretty good guy--just ask me!) my issue is with the "HANG THEM" mentality that came from the forum before ANYTHING was really known by me, or anyone besides the employee you had an issue with was offered a chance to make things right.

I'm confident, and I've received your PM, that you and I can work through this. As I've already acknowledged, we dropped the ball, at least in some respects, and you have sort of acknowledged that you jumped the gun in some respects. You know your parts are here, and I hope we can get them installed, (and I'm willing to do it myself with you watching), and you can report back here what a class operation TP truly is.

The last three weeks has brought some really extenuating circumstances to my store, including, as you and I have discussed via PM, the untimely death of not one, but two of my wife's grandparents. I truly hope the chaos has a close end in sight, so we can get back to our original goal--being the one dealership that no one ever says, "They're all dipshits," "They're Stealerships," "They're peons," etc.

My crew is a quality crew, and I challenge anyone to show me a team as underpaid, overworked, and understaffed that accomplishes as much as mine! My hope is that as things come together, and as I continue to refuse to adhere to the standard dealership, "Hire a warm body to stand there," mentality, that the difference will continue to shine between everyone else and us.

FWIW--this is for Dean (because you voiced it as an issue)--I challenge you come in the store, hang out, and find ONE person who has bought a bike/quad/boat from us in the last year who is not greeted by NAME and asked how their unit is doing. I probably only work out to about 75%, but my sales guys know who butters their bread, and their biggest fault is spending TOO much time talking to previous customers--not ignoring them!

If it's a Victory rider, you can almost bet that they have already been on a TP sponsored ride with us, and they know more about me, my bike (and vice versa) than many people know about their spouse!

--Scott
    GM
    Twin Peaks Powersports
    'Punkin'

FWIW--this is for Dean (because you voiced it as an issue)--I challenge you come in the store, hang out, and find ONE person who has bought a bike/quad/boat from us in the last year who is not greeted by NAME and asked how their unit is doing. I probably only work out to about 75%, but my sales guys know who butters their bread, and their biggest fault is spending TOO much time talking to previous customers--not ignoring them!

--Scott
    GM
    Twin Peaks Powersports
    I've always heard great things about TP.

Since I've never dealt with you guys, you don't fall into my generalized opinions of the places I have dealt with.

I know Curtis, a little, and almost had the pleasure of doing business with you guys. I was buying two WR's and TP was the second best price I got. Obvioulsy, I went with the lower price and I guess I paid for it a little in customer service or lack there of. To be honest, though, since I don't go in there or anywhere really, I guess I really don't care about the customer service, if it means a better price. Just business... nothing personal to anyone either.

I'm not trying to go back and forth so, I hope all the above came out right.
    Kim & Dean

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean

Obvioulsy, I went with the lower price and I guess I paid for it a little in customer service or lack there of. To be honest, though, since I don't go in there or anywhere really, I guess I really don't care about the customer service, if it means a better price. Just business... nothing personal to anyone either.

I'm not trying to go back and forth so, I hope all the above came out right.
    Ok, so now we've drawn an obvious line as to what is important to you. If price is the ultimate, I can promise you I will be the "cheapest" about 1% of the time. If circumstances work out where I have more product than I think I can feasibly get rid of in a model year, I might start making stupid deals.

But realistically Dean, you lose 100% of your credibility with me, and any other sane person reading these forums, when you say what you say above... let me quote for a second time...

"To be honest, though, since I don't go in there or anywhere really, I guess I really don't care about the customer service, if it means a better price. Just business... nothing personal to anyone either."

I'm fine with this opinion, and if you are looking for the best price, that's cool too...but where do you get off offering opinions as to how things should be, when you are a self-defined cheap ass who will sacrifice customer service for price? Again, I'm not saying that's wrong, I've been in your shoes myself, but I wasn't on the sidelines badmouthing every dealership on the planet for sucking, and then hypocritically saying that they should rock, but be cheap!

Again, I'm not saying your point of view is invalid, but if that's how you feel, you are, by self definition, NOT the guy who should be posting ANYTHING about how dealerships should be--you already said yourself you don't care!

For those of you who do care--I'm not the cheapest shop in the Denver metro, in fact, we're probably, outside of tires (and Dean's Garage) on the higher side of what dealerships charge.

That being said, outside of this single incident in 20 months of owning this store, Mike's isolated issue is the only negative issue I am aware of on this forum, related to my store. (Ok, so I can't get you a good deal on Avon tires, not my fault--just buy them online, and I'll mount 'em! )

The comments from guys like Dean, who despite their other credibility otherwise have been totally destroyed by their own comments within this thread should be disregarded.

Do you truly want to go to a Fremont Motorsports style concept of sell @ invoice -5% and think you'll have local dealers? It's not going to happen!

Anyone who thinks they have a better solution, please contact me directly. Get out of your garage, bring me about $3.5M in cash or bank loans, and I'll gladly give you your shot, in a great interstate location at Hwy 66 @ I-25, exit 243.

If you're not willing to put your money where your mouth is, that's cool...just understand our investment, and our willingness to step up when we've screwed up. That's about 100 miles ahead of most local dealers, and about 10 jumps into reality past what I've read in this thread.

--Scott
    GM
    Twin Peaks Powersports
    'Punkin'

So now as it seems everyone is giving hugs and kisses again......
    Volition.....quit hitting stuff in the road and you won't have this problem..... j/k I know things will get worked out.

Do you truly want to go to a Fremont Motorsports style concept of sell @ invoice -5% and think you'll have local dealers? It's not going to happen!

--Scott
    GM
    Twin Peaks Powersports
    What do you mean by this statement? I personally know the owner, and I have dealt with them on many occasions and know people that have dealt with them and have great things to say. He also is short staffed and does not pay his employees alot, and they bust their butts. He just likes to pass the savings to his customers when he can afford to. Don't take this wrong, I don't mean to say that you rip off customers or anything, because I am not a business man nor do I claim to know how the sales of motorcycles go, I am just rambling on.

Quote Originally Posted by madkaw77
    What do you mean by this statement? I personally know the owner, and I have dealt with them on many occasions and know people that have dealt with them and have great things to say. He also is short staffed and does not pay his employees alot, and they bust their butts. He just likes to pass the savings to his customers when he can afford to. Don't take this wrong, I don't mean to say that you rip off customers or anything, because I am not a business man nor do I claim to know how the sales of motorcycles go, I am just rambling on.
    This is an easy one to respond to. I bet, in fact, I am the only Colorado Yamaha dealer willing to voice an opinion on this one...however, ALL of us are doing our damndest to get his Yamaha Franchise taken away. It's rather simple, and it goes to the very politics of Yamaha USA. In fact, it's quite hypocritical. Yamaha wants us to build value in their product, and sell for only MSRP+....yet, yamaha won't do anything about the guy who advertises ON EBAY, "why pay msrp? we guarantee the lowest price" Then he can turn around and brag he's the top 10 blah blah blah in the last blah blah blah.

Quite frankly, if I was located in podunk, co, and i had no overhead, I could probably whore out product (like 2006 R1's) for less than MSRP, and for thousands less than other Denver metro dealers.

That being said, it's a short lived business plan, and that's what my point was. I am not badmouthing the shop directly, I am badmouthing their marketing decisions. If their marketing doesn't result in them losing their franchises (which it should), then it will likely lead to what Yamaha is considering, which may or may not be good for consumers---a system that is based on a "MAP" (minimum advertised price), allocations based not on sales volume but sales gross profit, based on CSI (customer satisfaction index), etc.

In other words, if you want to see the motorcycle world get more sadistically like the automotive sales world, bring on the Fremont Motorsports Marketing plan!

That said, stop by any colorado Yamaha dealer and ask if they will trade UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES with Fremont. You'll find that their business practices have left them few friends in the powersports world.

That being said, I don't disagree with what you say...they are nice guys, and I've made the mistake of sending them some of my inventory that they retail out at cost -3%. I can assure you (and them) that I will not make that mistake again!

The fact of the matter is, despite what Dean, yourself, or anyone else says or does, at the end of the month, my banker wants to be paid. I cannot pay the banker by selling units for 10% under MSRP which is about 3% less than cost. Maybe there is some secret rebate I don't know about, but I have to make sure I pay my bills, and fortunately, I have built a customer base that appreciates the service we provide, and are willing to pay for it, so that they dont' stop by next week to find out our doors have been locked by the bank!

--Scottt
    Unashamed of my opinions
    GM, Twin Peaks Powersports, Longmont, CO
    'Punkin'

That is a very fair answer. I can tell that you have your head on straight and that you run your business well. I just think it is like you said that Fremont has low overhead so they can afford to lower their prices. Is that a bad thing? I don't think so, but if what you said could happen does happen, then that would suck. Until then you can't be a hater on shops in podunk, CO. Which by the way, I live in Florence, and it is not podunk.

Wow, I know Dean can stand up for himself here, but you really shouldn't make blanket statements like calling someone cheap if you've never even seen the person!Dean is one of the more selfless people on this board always willing to lend a hand even when he doesn't have the most time in the world.

Dean's "cheapness" as you call it is simply him knowing what he's doing w/motorcycles. He said he didn't care about the service because he got a great price and doesn't really need the help working on the bike, but he doesn't condone people brushing someone off because they've made the sale.

If you knew ahead of time about this event then simply say, sorry we can't take your bike right now, we can't give the same high quality service we normally do. I mean its better you're out a few bucks then him being out a motorcycle for 2 months!

that's just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by madkaw77
    That is a very fair answer. I can tell that you have your head on straight and that you run your business well. I just think it is like you said that Fremont has low overhead so they can afford to lower their prices. Is that a bad thing? I don't think so, but if what you said could happen does happen, then that would suck. Until then you can't be a hater on shops in podunk, CO. Which by the way, I live in Florence, and it is not podunk.
    I am starting to feel that this is the, "only honest dealer in the world willing to voice his opinion vs. the world thread"...

I appreciate your honesty. I don't think it's bad that Fremont can lower their prices. I do think it's bad that they go outside their market area to be the lowest, on price only, knowing that they will not have to deal with future warranty or service issues. In fact, in many states (i.e. Texas, where this has recently become a major legal issue) their are franchise protections which prohibit the actions of dealers like Fremont.

That being said, regardless of legalitity, I still say it's a short term business plan, as dealers already are unwilling to trade with them, which is an unfortunate side effect for the consumer, who just wants to buy something and have it now....

We'll see what the market bears. I personally don't think Yamaha has the balls to shut them down, and Kawi doesn't have enough dealers in CO as it is, so they will probably do fine for a while.
    As far as hating on podunk dealers? Just consider it jealousy! My banker wants about 30K a month, whether or not I sold enough to pay him!

I'd love to be somewhere where I could own my land and just worry about selling a few units to buy some hotdogs and feed the crew!
    --Scott
    'Punkin'

You have got to stop being so cool. It is impossible to flame on someone as classy and straight forward as you are. Just kidding about flaming on ya. I understand what you are saying, but I guess it is one of those catch 22 things. If Fremont had higher prices would people from other cities make the journey to buy a bike? I don't know, but would willing to bet he would not sell enough to "pay the bank" as you put it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Little
    Wow, I know Dean can stand up for himself here, but you really shouldn't make blanket statements like calling someone cheap if you've never even seen the person!Dean is one of the more selfless people on this board always willing to lend a hand even when he doesn't have the most time in the world.

Dean's "cheapness" as you call it is simply him knowing what he's doing w/motorcycles. He said he didn't care about the service because he got a great price and doesn't really need the help working on the bike, but he doesn't condone people brushing someone off because they've made the sale.

that's just my 2 cents.
    Wow...seems like everyone has a dog in this fight...and the funny thing is, there is no fight. Frankly, that's the reason I still take time out of my day to respond. Mike and I are good. I believe we have worked out the issues of post #1. That being said, I am perfectly willing to take on all the bored, ignorant posters on behalf of any decent dealer (because as proud as I am, I know I am not the only one).

All of THAT being said, I still stand by the following:
    Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean

Obvioulsy, I went with the lower price and I guess I paid for it a little in customer service or lack there of. To be honest, though, since I don't go in there or anywhere really, I guess I really don't care about the customer service, if it means a better price. Just business... nothing personal to anyone either.

I am not insulting Dean personally, at least not intentionally...I am simply saying that based on his own words, he has no place for comment in this discussion. Did I call him a cheap ass? Yup...and I stand by that, as a fellow cheap ass. Does that mean Dean would not give me his kidney if he had an extra? No, of course not!

I'm not attacking Dean personally, because logical rational people can stick to the argument at hand (at which Dean had no place in, based on his own comments), I am simply saying that based on his statements, he has no place from which to judge local dealerships. Clearly, if you want good, cheap, service, just stop by Dean's.

My caution though, again by his own admission, is that Dean said himself that he is lazy, and it might take a while to get your free/cheap services performed
    'Punkin'