Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dealership dilemma…

Re: Dealership dilemma…

Oh, by the way. If I lived in your area, I would throw you some business because I am a stickler for customer service. Unlike the other person that said they don't care and just want cheap, I do care and will pay more (to a certain extent) for customer service such as what you are talking about.

[quote=madkaw77]You have got to stop being so cool. It is impossible to flame on someone as classy and straight forward as you are. \quote]

Hey, I'll just leave it at that! I think you got the point right there!

Seriously...buy local! If you live there, buy from your local dealer! If they have to raise prices, just remember...would you rather come to Longmont for warranty service, or have a local dealer?

That being said, as far as I am concerned, they can stay out of my market! My customers like me, for the most part, and the internet has made it very difficult to compete with the guy 100 miles away with very different overhead costs.

It will all balance out in the future...I just want folks to know I plan to be around to play, in the "end times!"

Nice chatting with you...
    --Scott
    'Punkin'
    * I don't have a fancy signature *

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin
    Nice chatting with you...
    --Scott
    Like wise.

Quote Originally Posted by madkaw77
    Oh, by the way. If I lived in your area, I would throw you some business because I am a stickler for customer service. Unlike the other person that said they don't care and just want cheap, I do care and will pay more (to a certain extent) for customer service such as what you are talking about.
    Well...I'd love to induce you to come up...but that would make me a hypocrite, wouldn't it...based on what I've said about Fremont! Support your local dealer...and tell them to stay local!

--Scott
    'Punkin'

Do you accept the Kawi. card? If you do I wouldn't mind spending some money at your place to help with the banker situation.

Wow, this thread is valuable. It's like Twin Peaks is advertising why not to go to their shop. They admit to being overpriced (it's OK though, because the banker wants their money), and more than willing to take your ride in the service bay even if they know they can't handle the load (again I guess because the banker wants their money).

It's like TP's bad lease is being passed on to riders across the metro area. Or maybe it's not a bad lease? It's just so expensive to be a big, sweet dealer in Colorado, and we should live with it because the banker wants their money?

Thanks for informing me about you business! You've saved me the time and hassle of going into your dealership to buy a new bike or get service(or recommending you to anyone else).

Why didn't you just stop with admitting you hadn't done a good job with dude's bike? Why start defending yourself and blasting other forum members. I fail to see how this is "classy". The more you post, the worse you make yourself and your business sound.

P.S. When did good customer service become something you have to pay extra for?
    Last edited by BHeth; Tue Aug 8th, 2006 at 05:35 AM.

But realistically Dean, you lose 100% of your credibility with me, and any other sane person reading these forums, when you say what you say above... let me quote for a second time...

"To be honest, though, since I don't go in there or anywhere really, I guess I really don't care about the customer service, if it means a better price. Just business... nothing personal to anyone either."

I'm fine with this opinion, and if you are looking for the best price, that's cool too...but where do you get off offering opinions as to how things should be, when you are a self-defined cheap ass who will sacrifice customer service for price? Again, I'm not saying that's wrong, I've been in your shoes myself, but I wasn't on the sidelines badmouthing every dealership on the planet for sucking, and then hypocritically saying that they should rock, but be cheap!
    If this is what you take from what I say, then we cleary, can't communicate. Or, you can't absorb the substance of what I'm squawking about.

I walk into a business, any business, to get the best deal I can. I also walk in knowing that the people will probably be idiots and have no people skills, like me.

If someome posts on this board, I have every right to express my experiences AND my opinions!!! Welcome to America and the wonderful world of retard internet posting!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Little
    Dean's "cheapness" as you call it is simply him knowing what he's doing w/motorcycles. He said he didn't care about the service because he got a great price and doesn't really need the help working on the bike, but he doesn't condone people brushing someone off because they've made the sale.
    Exactly!! I'm sure Scott will misinterpret this and reply with something off the wall.

If you knew ahead of time about this event then simply say, sorry we can't take your bike right now, we can't give the same high quality service we normally do. I mean its better you're out a few bucks then him being out a motorcycle for 2 months!
    That's what responsible businesses do. Honesty with the client, up front.

I am not insulting Dean personally, at least not intentionally...I am simply saying that based on his own words, he has no place for comment in this discussion. Did I call him a cheap ass? Yup...and I stand by that, as a fellow cheap ass. Does that mean Dean would not give me his kidney if he had an extra? No, of course not!
    Once again, wrong... So, when you bought/leased your building and land for the dealership, did you try to get the best deal you could? If not, you're a terrible business man!!

I'm not attacking Dean personally, because logical rational people can stick to the argument at hand (at which Dean had no place in, based on his own comments), I am simply saying that based on his statements, he has no place from which to judge local dealerships. Clearly, if you want good, cheap, service, just stop by Dean's.
    I have every right to judge. The crappy service that exists today is why I think the way I do!!

My caution though, again by his own admission, is that Dean said himself that he is lazy, and it might take a while to get your free/cheap services performed
    Now, you're just being a dick. Well done!!

Quote Originally Posted by BHeth
    Wow, this thread is valuable. It's like Twin Peaks is advertising why not to go to their shop. They admit to being overpriced (it's OK though, because the banker wants their money), and more than willing to take your ride in the service bay even if they know they can't handle the load (again I guess because the banker wants their money).

It's like TP's bad lease is being passed on to riders across the metro area. Or maybe it's not a bad lease? It's just so expensive to be a big, sweet dealer in Colorado, and we should live with it because the banker wants their money?

Thanks for informing me about you business! You've saved me the time and hassle of going into your dealership to buy a new bike or get service(or recommending you to anyone else).

Why didn't you just stop with admitting you hadn't done a good job with dude's bike? Why start defending yourself and blasting other forum members. I fail to see how this is "classy". The more you post, the worse you make yourself and your business sound.

Laughing my ass off!!! Well said!! I was beginning to think the same thing!!

Oookaaay!! next!!
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Quote Originally Posted by BHeth
    I can't be specific, but it was around the time that the U.S. Economy moved from an industrial economy to a Service economy. At that time, mom and pop shops started to see that they could not compete with big box stores on price, and instead started to tout service, priced at a premium, something which U.S. consumers have been willing to pay extra for for quite a number of years.

It was during this time that you saw the surge of "big box stores," such as Sam's Club, Costco, Best Buy, Home Depot, etc. The american consumer got a great deal, but generally speaking didn't have "professionals" to provide them with any service.

It was during this same time that you saw the small town specialty stores either close their doors, or step up their knowledge and sales staff, and earn the premium that was required to cover their overhead.

Some would argue that we've moved beyond the "service economy" to an "experience economy" where the service has been stepped up to goofy atmosphere, and quality of product isn't as important as "having a good time in the moment".

Examples here would be Southwest Airlines budget no frills flights, but goofy flight attendants telling jokes, etc. Another example might be Dave & Busters--the food isn't inexpensive, but where else can you have a burger, a beer, and play about a billion different video games. Rainforest Cafe, Barber shops with young attractive female barbers and sports on dozens of televisions...the list goes on.

Not trying to be a smart aleck, just answering the question!

--Scott
    'Punkin'

i'm going to jump in here and hopefully provide a point or two towards this discussion.

i understand everyone wants a good deal. Hell i'm right there with the rest of ya'll cheap asses. i am probably one of the most extreme cheap asses that you know.

with that being said i will pay more for good service.

i'll give you a couple of examples.

i recently lowsided and had to have some repairs done to the bike. i looked for the best deal. i am still waiting on the bike parts to be returned to me. the accident happened in april. i'm not compaining because i knew what i was getting into. and i had plenty of time due to the healing process of major leg fractures.

i absolutly refuse to shop at wal-mart. i will pay more to the local drug store/ grocery store/ etc. because i don't want to stand in a long line with rednecks , in an atmosphere that i find repulsive. this might be snobish but i had rather pay for the better experience. may be the same thing in the same box for cheaper, but i had rather support somewhere that supports me.

i think punkin has every right to be more expensive if he wants. it is his buisness to run. i personally wouldn't take my yamaha anywhere else to have service done. as his customer if i am paying his price i feel like i will be taken care of, and if i am not then there will be someone i can express this concern to.

if i take my bike to someone who is working out of a whole in the wall off some side street it doesn't instill a lot of confidence in their work. it also doesn't give me much outlet if something was to occur that needed extra attention.

i have done buisness with punkin in the past and will continue to do buisness with him. he has always wowed me at both locations.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

First off this thread is going way off topic, secondly I can see that Scott is being singled out a bit and I don’t think that is fair. He has been honest and forthcoming, willing to help (me) and I don’t think he needs to defend his business, don’t like it don’t go there (I think he said as much earlier).

That being, I just checked out Fremont (never even heard of them before this), I gotta be honest with you, I may consider them for my next Bike purchase. They have a public list of all their prices on their site and a 2006 R1 is priced at a full $1000 less then MSRP! And that includes freight/setup and other fees most other dealers ADD to MSRP (usually something like $300 or so). Would I consider the drive to save 100-200 or maybe even 300 bucks, no. But upwards of a grand, yes, and I don’t think ANYONE could hold that against me or anyone else for that matter.

Scott, like I’ve stated several times before with the exception of this incident I have always had good dealings with you guys, but you can not blame a customer for wanting to make a 2 to3 hour drive to save upwards of a 1000 dollars on their bike, some are as much as 1500 LESS then MSRP including fees! That’s a lot of money considering it’s the same product as everyone else has.

I also don’t think you can blame Fremont for selling for that price. If they can do that and keep the doors open why should they not? You said yourself you would do the same if you did not have the bank to pay? As far as staying in their market, I don’t understand your statement. What do you mean by this? Are you saying that a dealership should only be allowed to sell to local people and not advertise outside of their “region”, if so what is their region and who would determine where one dealer can sell bikes and another cant, would that mean since I live in Fort Collins I would HAVE to go to FCMS for bikes, service, and parts and not be able to go to you? Or would there be a mileage limit on how far away I can overlap my choices, i.e. I could go to Fort Collins, Longmont, or Greeley but not Denver?

Or do you just think there should be a limit on how “cheaply” a dealer can sell a bike, if so should there not also be a set to limit how much you can add to MSRP, like I don’t know ZERO? Personally I think Bikes should be sold for MSRP plus tax out the door for everyone. Some dealers will add on freight/setup, etc claming that it is an addition cost, which it is not, it is additional profit, while others will sell the same bike for 200 under MSRP out the door. If you can chose to sell at what ever price you want Freemont should be able to do the same, right? You can’t have it both ways, most dealers are not honest with their customers concerning price so why not take that out of the equation and sell everything for what the manufacturer suggests and not some arbitrary number?

Why do you say they can sell so cheaply b/c they will not have to worry about warranty or service issues? Is that not money that you or other dealers closer to the customer will be making in spite of not having sold the bike? If you can not compete with them on the price of the bike at least you’ll get the service?

Also it looks like they have been around since at least 2001ish so they must be doing something right.

I’m all for supporting local businesses but at what’s amounts to 50 bucks in gas and a day spent in Colorado springs to save $1000 or more, I gotta say if I were in the market now, which I’m not, I would have to consider spending the day in the springs with my new bike.

----

And about paying more for service, and this is just for arguments sake and not how I fell one way or another, but, your argument does not hold water. Unlike mom and pop stores one can not purchase a motorcycle from Sam’s club or the likes, there are no “big box” stores that compete with you in your market, there are some dealers larger then others but generally speaking dealerships are pretty much on the same playing field. What you said is true, but you are, as they say, comparing apples to oranges.

You could however argue that one pays more for the convenience of going to a local dealer to buy a bike, pays more for competent techs to work on those bikes, and pays more for the warm fuzzy feeling that if something comes up it will be taken care of promptly and with a smile. =)

---

In any case I look forward to hearing from you; I hope everything goes well with your funeral(s). You sound like a smart guy and one who’s fun to talk to.

-Mike

PS If you feel like it’s you against the world consider that you are the only “supplier” posting here, the rest of us are all consumers so we tend to see things differently then you. Different shoes and all.

PPS, Wow I’m long winded.

Two Down, God only knows how many to go... Fucking DEER!

understand everyone wants a good deal. Hell i'm right there with the rest of ya'll cheap asses. i am probably one of the most extreme cheap asses that you know.
    You got that right!!! Tom you are always so honest....hehe. How is the leg doing anyway??

I just read Gramps’s post as he posted it while I was typing. One more thing to add…

There is a HUGE difference in service/repair work and product sale. One includes technical competence the other not so much. I will always be willing to pay for professional service done to my bike, and thus take it to where I believe I will get the best service. Provided my issue gets resolved, and I’m confident that it will, that place will be Twin peaks (about a 45min drive for me btw).

I will however also seek out the best price for a new bike and go where I will save the most, all the R1’s are the same and I don’t think I should have to pay more for one then the other, so I will pay as little as possible. IMO.
    Last edited by Volition; Tue Aug 8th, 2006 at 10:02 AM.

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

If I would ever owned a Yamaha-ha I most likely would take it to TP -------- unless Geoff Cesmatt from Graves Motorsports is home here in 'B' town cuz that guy is THE DOCTOR on the 'Y' type bikes.

It all boils down to you get what you pay for.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja
    It all boils down to you get what you pay for.
    Sometimes Nick, You overpay for what you get.

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Volition
    Sometimes Nick, You overpay for what you get.
    "Say It's only a paper Moon /.../Just as phoney as it can be/
    But it wouldn't be make believe/If you believed in me."

Rose, B.; Harburg, E.; Arlen, H. (1933), It's Only a Paper Moon.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Almost didn't post because it seems that it has gotten off topic but; I am another one of those people who don't mind paying a little more if I get the good service. I think it all comes back around because in order for a place to hire the best employees sometimes it takes paying them a little more than other places. That may mean that both the products and the service are a bit pricier, but its the whole picture to run the business. A lot of times if the pricing is 'too' undercut and the ebay guys are out there passing off counterfeit or used stuff as new it lessens the name brand of a product and forces the manufacturer to enforce MAP pricing on the dealers.

I've contacted BBB in the past and nothing happened. I would take it to the top, but I wouldnt threat them just yet, they might screw you even more.
    Token Brazilian
    2005 Raven R1

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly
    I've contacted BBB in the past and nothing happened. I would take it to the top, but I wouldnt threat them just yet, they might screw you even more.
    Have you not read any of this thread???? Problem is solved and the two parties directly involved are working on it.........

Quote Originally Posted by Wahooman
    You got that right!!! Tom you are always so honest....hehe. How is the leg doing anyway??

leg is getting stronger

off the crutches completely now, just walking slow(just like i ride)
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps
    leg is getting stronger

Just call him Gimpy!!! Ya old bastard!!!
    Kim & Dean

thanks dean

i knew i could count on you

how you and the wife been?

hope everything is well
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

I won't shop at Wal-Mart either... fucking redneck trailer park trashy bitches ! no wait.. the one I go to has the rich folk who drive up in their Mercedes, Jag's, Lexus and Humveee's... ahh.. they're still all the same.. bitching about a .50 cent coupon... You can take the person out of the trailer, but you can't take the trailer out of the person.. ! I hate rude bastids !!!
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

thanks dean

i knew i could count on you

how you and the wife been?

hope everything is well
    Hey, you picked the screen name...

I wish I would have been thinking clear enough last time we saw each other to suggest lunch and a beer.
    Kim & Dean

leg is getting stronger

Again your honesty never stops amazing me.....slow poke....hehe