Thread: New page on main site - Good Roads

New page on main site - Good Roads

I know this is long overdue but over the past month or so, I've been putting this together. Until now, the only ride we've had listed was Deer Creek Canyon / Turkey Creek.

I know it's not nearly complete, or even necessarily entirely accurate (some roads I guessed at, having never ridden them) - that's where you come in.

I'm asking all of you to please take a look at this page: Good Roads and let me know what corrections need to be made, and what roads should be added. Please try and provide as much information as possible to facilitate things (mapquest links would be awesome), including comments about the road itself, as I've tried to include.

The idea was to give people a list of good roads, indicate which ones intersect, so they can plan their own route. As this page grows, we'll probably split things up into sections based on geographic regions.

Please post corrections & new roads here on this thread (so I don't get a bunch of duplicates in my inbox).

Thanks everybody!

How about that memorial ride route? Plus there is a lot of variation to that route too. I'm just too tired to think of em.

Gotta put this one on the list:

Hwy 92 from Delta, CO (40 miles south of Grand Junction on 50) to Sapinero (also on 50). A nice country road with lazy sweepers that ends in a 25+ mile run from the top of the canyon to the bottom- great views of the lake below and a boatload of switchbacks and curves on the best pavement I've ever been on. Beware of Harley dressers trying to take you out head-on.

Damn- they have it on that list already. Apaprently I went the DANGEROUS way :
    The 11 miles from Hotchkiss to Crawford is boring, after that--WATCH OUT! This road is not for the weak heart; no guard rails, drops all the way to hell. Fairly good road surface, and not much traffic during the week. This route is safer if ridden Gunnison to Hotchkiss--you'll see why.
    Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.

CSC co-founder

Once Again...

Once again Bob, you've way out-done yourself!

P.S. Try to shag some of the work-load off on 'volunteers' who'ld be will'n/able/capable to help w/ a project.

P.S.S. I'll have a "Photo of the Year" head'n your way w/in a week or 2.

P.S.S.S. We're think'n of a ride for this summer over an extended weekend & your presence is gracefully demanded.

Dietrich
    PHX, AZ

Wow great page.

#9 Highway 67 (N) has the same map as #8

here is Deckers to Woodland Park.

Quote Originally Posted by bratt
    Wow great page.
    Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by bratt
    #9 Highway 67 (N) has the same map as #8
    Copy & Paste coming back to haunt me! I've fixed that for now (since it was quick & easy). I'll wait for more feedback before I start adding new routes.

Thanks!

What about Lookout Mountain Rd.
    Closest to downtown Denver, packed with corners, switch backs, and enough straights for wheelies.

If you need a qiuck fix- LMR
    If ya need to blow off some steam from your corporate job-LMR
    If ya want to get faster through the rats nest at SCR-LMR

Lookout Mountain Rd is an excellent strech of road, it's short but sweet!!! If ya haven't riden it...Please do so ASAP, for you... and what a veiw when ya get to the top INCREDIBLE!!!

It's the sickest road, that you can ride during you lunch break if ya work downtown!

Making the world a safer place, through Psychokinesis
    This moment brought to you in part by WWW.BOXHEAD.US

I'm sold - give me the start & end points (or is it good all the way from Golden to I-70?).

Golden and I-70 are the start/end points... The golden side is a lot more twisty (or at least, exposed, since you're on the face of the mountain there).

Also add Golden Gate Canyon, that is a good short ride that's lots of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe
    Also add Golden Gate Canyon, that is a good short ride that's lots of fun.
    It's already there - #17 on the list.

Well... like I ever read the main site!

Golden Gate and 119 rock, but this is a different road

Start/Finish
    19th st and 6th ave,(Golden) /US 40 inbetween exit 256 and 254 off I-70

One of the most admired engineering feats of the world is a switchback road that rises from Golden to Lookout Mountain. The Lariat Trail, now known as Lookout Mountain Road, begins west of 6th Avenue at 19th Street in Golden. It zig-zags for 4.6 road miles, rising 2,000 feet to Buffalo Bill’s Grave and Museum. The scenic drive has 56 perfectly-banked curves, including seven hair-pins!
    http://www.citymtnviews.com/Lariat.php4

Highway 141 from Naturita to Whitewater - 96 miles worth of looooooooong sweepers that you can see all the way thru.

Highway 550 from Ouray to Silverton (The Million Dollar Highway) - 23 miles, at one point you can look down the mountain below you and see half a dozen switchbacks right under your feet

Highway 125 from Granby to Rand (Willow Creek Pass) - 32 miles, nice long sweepers, a couple tasty corners and great visibility

Highway 306 from Buena Vista to the top of Cottonwood Pass - lots of good stuff over this 20 mile run, but the cake is 4 nearly back to back 15 mph switchbacks

Highway 133 from Carbondale to Paonia - 59 miles - some of the best riding in the state

My $0.02
    IBA #10979 - SS1K, All-Dirt SS1K, SS2K, SS3K, 100CCC, BBGold, TCGold

Thanks! I'll have to set some time aside to update the page.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper
    Golden Gate and 119 rock, but this is a different road

Start/Finish
    19th st and 6th ave,(Golden) /US 40 inbetween exit 256 and 254 off I-70

One of the most admired engineering feats of the world is a switchback road that rises from Golden to Lookout Mountain. The Lariat Trail, now known as Lookout Mountain Road, begins west of 6th Avenue at 19th Street in Golden. It zig-zags for 4.6 road miles, rising 2,000 feet to Buffalo Bill’s Grave and Museum. The scenic drive has 56 perfectly-banked curves, including seven hair-pins!
    http://www.citymtnviews.com/Lariat.php4

Beanspiller!

OK, GSL, in one swell foop you listed at least half of my top 10 Colorado favorite secret roads. Are you sure these people are to be trusted. I'm having my survivors complain directly to you if I end up the hood ornament of a Hayabusa with paper plates on it. Jes' kiddin'. I'm kinda surprised we haven't met already since we're drawn to the same type of tarmac.

PS: How 'bout CO17 Antonito to Chama? There's lots of good stuff just below where that ends in NM, also.
    I'm not as dumb as I look, because that would be impossible.

Deckers isnt bad either
    Proud Sponsor/pit crew to: -PUCK-MRA #719
    R.I.P 502

I brought all my shoes and all my glasses so I would have them
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripper
    What about Lookout Mountain Rd.
    Closest to downtown Denver, packed with corners, switch backs, and enough straights for wheelies.

If you need a qiuck fix- LMR
    If ya need to blow off some steam from your corporate job-LMR
    If ya want to get faster through the rats nest at SCR-LMR

Lookout Mountain Rd is an excellent strech of road, it's short but sweet!!! If ya haven't riden it...Please do so ASAP, for you... and what a veiw when ya get to the top INCREDIBLE!!!

It's the sickest road, that you can ride during you lunch break if ya work downtown!
    It is a great road...but beware of the sand on some of the switch backs...sometimes there can be some when least expected.
    ~Travis~
    It's okay...I'm a Doctor.
    Originally Posted by Keyser Soze
    Everybody on CSC knows everything
    2003 GSX-R600 - Former Love
    2003 Kawasaki ZX6R - Former Love
    1999 Suzuki TL1000R - Former Love
    2004 DRZ400E - New Dirty
    2002 KFX 650 - Quad