Thread: I need help.

I need help.

I need statistics of the street vs the track:

Accidents with no injuries
    Accidents overall
    Injuries overall
    Life threatening injuries
    Deaths

And any other statistic that you can think of that may help my mom understand the track is not anymore dangerous than the street, if-not less dangerous.

She does not want me to get a track bike to just have fun at the track and gain experience, and she just does not want to go to the track whatsoever because she thinks i am trying to ride with the MotoGP and stuff. Help please!!

Thanks!!! Help!!!

Aaron
    '08 Suzuki GSXR600

Re: I need help.

Can't provide you with any formal statistics, but I *can* tell you that while the probability of crashing at the track is higher than the street, the consequences of said crash are much lower. Me, I've crashed much more at the track than on the street, and at much higher speeds, yet was hurt much worse in my street crashes...
    Paul G.
    2005 R1

AKA "Devaclis"

Write your own damn paper!! haha J/K Check out motorcyclist magazine in the archives. They may have some stats.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Heh Dev. Just trying to make my mom feel comfortable with me going to the track. Its not like i am hopping on a supersport 1000cc bike and racing. Im not going to go over my head, i am just learning and trying to ride better while having fun. (ok and maybe race in a few years)

Aaron
    '08 Suzuki GSXR600

Try this route... Ask your mom if you can take a track class... This would be a supervised introduction to the track envirionment... Emphasize that the instructors will be focused on SAFETY... From preparing your bike, to riding around the track, and riding with others that are faster/slower than you are.

There are a few options of classes. Ricky Orlando has one, the MRA has one, Fast Freddie in Utah, etc... Do some research.

Motorcycling is dangerous. You're not going to convince her otherwise, and you'd be kidding yourself as well. Although accidents happen, we can take adiquate steps to avoid/prevent them, and be properly prepared to deal with them when they do happen. Try going the class route to show her that you're taking it seriously.

The track is most definitely safer, there is no opposing traffic, no cars period (for the most part), no unseen hazards around blind corners. People crash more at the track because they push their limits more. If don't exceed them you won't fall down. In the meantime you will be learning advanced riding skills at an accelerated pace that will ultimately benefit you street riding. Now if the worst case scenario becomes a reality, and you do end up crashing, you will be in full leathers with a back protector (if your smart) with full boots and leather gloves, so most crashes are walk offs. Can you guarantee you will be fully geared up on the street?

I have no stats, but if you go to a race on any given weekend, you will see a good number of crashes, for the most part the riders are fine or slightly banged up, many race again that day or weekend. Not many people that crash on the street are capable of that.

I agree with the track school approach. The MRA school is a great value. Below are some links to formal track schools.

http://forums.mra-racing.org/

http://www.fastfreddie.com/

http://www.schwantzschool.com/

http://www.superbikeschool.com/

http://www.starmotorcycle.com/
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Talking Re: I need help.

If she would like to speak with me about riding at the PMP track, I would definately talk with her, pointing out the safety rules and the extra steps every rider takes to be as safe as possible, afterall who wants to jack up their bike and bodies? .

Also, if she wants to come to the Bikes only day on August 25, I will take her around and show her the operation.

I agree with the statement about riding is dangerous but life is dangerous. My first heart attack was at home drinking a cup of coffee. The second one was visiting with my mother-in-law. The last time I got the "shocking" of my life I was at the track doing some landscaping. None of us get a guarantee. That's what buying a blender is for. Please let her know I would enjoy visiting with her.

Thanks!

My wife had some similar fears about the track. I convinced her to watch a few races on Speed with me. We saw lots of people crash, slide into the run-offs, and hop up and try to get back on the bike. It really helped reassure her that it isn't as dangerous as it sounds.

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

BHeth,

I tried this same approach with my mom this year when she was out for a visit. She has long given up on trying to convince me not to race and had just really started to accept it, so I thought it would be a good time to introduce her to how the "pros" do it.

To make a long story short the race we chose to watch was the Moto GP where half the field went down in the first turn. Giberneau flopped around like a rag doll, capirossi got hurt, Melandri got hurt and the whole time my mom was just about in tears wondering "why would ANYONE want to do that?"

S

heh. yeah that would be a bad race to use as an example.

BTW, I have Capirex's tail section and a side fairing from Gibby's bike from that crash that will be sold pretty soon here.

------------------------
    Student Driver Racing / My Little Pony Racing
    Aerobics instructor seeks optical illusion...#502, baby

Quote Originally Posted by RYBO
    BHeth,

I tried this same approach with my mom this year when she was out for a visit. She has long given up on trying to convince me not to race and had just really started to accept it, so I thought it would be a good time to introduce her to how the "pros" do it.

To make a long story short the race we chose to watch was the Moto GP where half the field went down in the first turn. Giberneau flopped around like a rag doll, capirossi got hurt, Melandri got hurt and the whole time my mom was just about in tears wondering "why would ANYONE want to do that?"

S
    Good point. Record the race, make sure all is well, then show it to your mom!

I recently read about a man that was a workaholic and finally decided to take the long deserved vacation that his friends and family had urged him to do. The night before he was to leave he went down to his basement to get his suitcase. He tripped, fell down the stairs, broke his neck and died. Many times I think about the risk we all expose ourselves to with this two-wheel addiction. But like Earlene said "life is dangerous," and an activity can be risky without being dangerous.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Moms will be moms. They worry and try to keep their kids safe. Here I am about to hit a mid life crisis full stride and my mom still does not want me on a bike, street or race. Good luck with your situation. I hope it works out for you.

Shane
    01 R1 Champs Ed

Like the others, I don't have much for hard statistics, but I can tell you that the MRA has been racing here in Colorado for between 30 and 33 years (depending on who you believe about what was actually considered the first MRA race). In 30+ years of racing we have lost *1* rider during a sanctioned race (Don E Bruner, Sept 10, 2000 at Mountain View). To my knowledge we have only lost a total of *3* members to on-track incidents (Willie Sharp ~1994, Don E Bruner 2000, and of course Gene Bazyl earlier this year). Not to discount the loss of Aaron Aiken, but to keep the statistics consistent I limited it to actual MRA members. FWIW, Besides Aaron I am not aware of any other Non-MRA motorycle deaths at any of the tracks in Colorado.

Also, consider this quote from the intro to "FASTER" ---> "In fact, since 1960 only one of the 500cc champions has died on the track - Gary Hocking.....he was testing a Formula I car at the time."

Now, in a perfect example of making statistics say whatever you want them to, the producers of FASTER narrowed the scope of the sample to the 500cc class, and narrowed it again to champions, not just riders, but the point is still valid.

As a broader argument (I'll repeat some of the arguments above, sorry), you can explain that the majority of factors that kill or maim riders on street aren't a result of the accident itself, they are the things that the rider comes in contact with AFTER the accident - such as cars, trucks, rivers, wrought iron fences, square curbs, rock walls, sign posts, etc. Furthermore, at least some (who truly knows what percentage) accidents are not even caused by the rider, they are caused by things that the rider cannot control such as poor road conditions (sand, oil, potholes, etc) or other drivers being stupid/distracted/drunk or any combination of the three.

All of these factors are natural by-products of being in an uncontrolled environment. Now, when you go to the track you are in a controlled environment and 99% of these factors are removed. You know the "road" conditions, and they aren't likely to change from lap to lap. There are no rock walls, rivers, sign posts or any of that crap - it is all removed as much as physically possible in the interests of SAFETY.

Everyone on the track is paying strict attention to what they are doing and the general level of competence is miles above what you will find on any suburban street. All of this points towards a SIGNIFICANTLY safer environment. This is not even debateable.

Gear - we all wear more at the track, enough said.

As a final argument (this is more for the racers than the casual track day rider because there usually aren't on-site ambulances at casual track days) - even if you DO fall and get hurt, the ambulance is 15-60 seconds away. The only way you can duplicate that on the street is to crash directly into the hospital ER entryway.

My dad has been racing all types of 4 wheeled vehicles since he was very young, but because he disliked motorcycles I never told my folks I owned one until I decided to start racing. One of the first comments my dad made was "Well, I would much rather have you racing than riding on the street." To me that says it all. They are now my biggest fans and have yet to miss a race.
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.