Thread: NICKY!

NICKY!

No threads on Nicky after Laguna?

Man, 6 races to go, he has a chance to prove he is the best rider in the WORLD!

It's going to be tough, but I think he can do it.

Lets go NICKY!

www.motogp.com
    93 Ducati 750SS for the Street
    95 CBR600F3 for the Track
    MRA #747

Re: NICKY!

k... i gotta say... I am a semi-nicky fan (though I am not a emphatic fan), and all for him bringing the title back to the US for the first time in a long time....

BUTTT.....

he brings this title home it proves that he was the most consistant rider... very good rider no doubt, but definately not the best in the world

Obviously it can be argued, but valentino rossi is the best motorcycle rider out there right now (and I am no bigger a rossi fan than I am a nicky fan either). Name any rider that has even challanged rossi when he was at 100%... he makes everyone look like they are just starting out... coming from 11th place! to a podium.... or even a win!!! come on. The guy is winning races w/ a broken wrist!

Look at nickys stats... he has only had 3 poles in his CAREER as a gp racer, 4 fastest laps in all of his races. However he is doing very well on podiums this year.

For instance... compare pedorsa... same amount of wins this year, 4 poles and 4 fastest laps in races THIS YEAR.

Nicky is one HELLLLLL of a racer and I think he deserves the title for MotoGP champion this year, but is definately not the best rider in the world... a championship does not define the riders title.

lel
    Last edited by Lel; Mon Aug 7th, 2006 at 09:06 AM.
    Jason Leleck
    MRA #399

Faster Motosports, XBAM!, Unink, Printworks, Leo Vince Exhaust, Gaerne Boots, Bridgestone, Chickenhawk Racing, Ferodo Brakes, Woodcraft-CFM

I'd have to agree with Leleck on this one. In my book Nicky's championship will always have an astrik next to it.
    MRA 36 & AMA 336

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

In my opinion, a championship is a championship. No need for any special notation.... That said, it has nothing to do with being the best in your field. Buster Douglas was the World Heavyweight boxing champ for pete's sake.

Deserved and valid? Absolutely!
    Was he the cream of the talent? Not even close.

Now Nicky is no Buster Douglas... He's easily one of the top racers out there. But I'd say it's arguable, that's he's the best at this particular moment in time. He's just "getting the job done" the best right now.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~
    In my opinion, a championship is a championship. No need for any special notation.... That said, it has nothing to do with being the best in your field. Buster Douglas was the World Heavyweight boxing champ for pete's sake.

Deserved and valid? Absolutely!
    Was he the cream of the talent? Not even close.

Now Nicky is no Buster Douglas... He's easily one of the top racers out there. But I'd say it's arguable, that's he's the best at this particular moment in time. He's just "getting the job done" the best right now.
    Well said Barn. I agree with you on this one.
    Liberty never came from government. The history of liberty is a history of resistance. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of government power, not the increase of it. Woodrow Wilson, September 9th, 1912

"The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude."

Somewhere in the south suburbia of sprawl.

Quote Originally Posted by Lel
    Look at nickys stats... he has only had 3 poles in his CAREER as a gp racer, 4 fastest laps in all of his races. However he is doing very well on podiums this year.

For instance... compare pedorsa... same amount of wins this year, 4 poles and 4 fastest laps in races THIS YEAR.
    Based on MotoGP listings - Pedrosa is 120lbs roughly. Hayden is roughly 155. On bikes like that I'm sure that is a tremendous difference. And Hayden is STILL "getting the job done" with his consistancy, ability, and opportunistic style.

The greatest? Perhaps not... Rossi will undoubtedly hold that title for years upon years to come. And I give him huge credit, admiration, and props en masse for his godlike abilities.

HOWEVER... I for one am sick and tired of seeing Rossi dominate the field over and over and over again (much like Mladin was - which is why I'm excited to see him too NOT dominating like he did) and am going to be cheering Nicky to win the whole thing... and Rossi to keep chewing tires, blowing engines, and pondering that F1 Ferarri deal.

Nicky is the man moving forward in my opinion. He's the one I'm cheering for until he gives me reason not to. Besides... how can you resist the appeal 69?
    ...Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Current Ride: 2005 Ducati ST3

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~
    Now Nicky is no Buster Douglas...
    LMAO! This post is showing your age! I bet a lot of people out here are like "who???".

I would have liked to see Edwards do better this year. Word is he might lose his ride if he doesn't do well in the rest of the races. I wasn't much of a Hayden fan, but his riding is winning me over. A lot is said of him having by far the best ride, but so does Pedrosa (minus 40 lbs or so!).

Rossi is in a whole different league. Watching him scrape and claw after being way back in the pack and passing rider after rider to win is some serious stuff. It is getting to be a bit like the Jordan Bulls, though.

Having an American, any American, win it all would be sweet!

Actually Perdosa is closer to 100lbs. It's an unfortunate advantage for everyone else racing him. There should be a combined rider/bike minumum and if Pedrosa wins the title his name should have an astericks too for having an 7-8 hp advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Auron
    Actually Perdosa is closer to 100lbs. It's an unfortunate advantage for everyone else racing him. There should be a combined rider/bike minumum and if Pedrosa wins the title his name should have an astericks too for having an 7-8 hp advantage.
    so should rossi's name have an asterick by his name since hes one of the tallest (if not the tallest) rider out there? How much more drag is created by his body at 200mph vs the other guys... quite a bit i would bet.

size/weight fall into another catagory vs how someone is doing in one year.... if rossi was 4ft nothing... would that change he is killing he competition? Not at all. Would everyone say it was his size? maybe... but truth of the matter is that it comes down to skill not weight.

GP is definately down to each ounce, and .5 mph vs 4-5 hp.... so yes pedrosa has an awesome weight advantage... however he has a horrible strength/size disadvantage trying to move the bigger bikes. He even said in an interview at laguna... he trains on a 450F (I can barely touch the ground on a 450f... i have no idea how he does it) just so he can learn to control something bigger.

Look at Elaina Meyers... if you dont know who she is... start finding out... she probably will be the first full factory girl racer (my bet). She is 12 years old, and rides a 125 in WERA and USGPRU. I have a much much much!!!!! higher power to weight ratio than she does... though at miller motorsports park running the full track, she was less than 2 seconds off my times in practice vs her race times! A track that has a straightaway that is the longest thing i have ever ridden on.... She is one hell of a rider... does power matter? not at all shes on a bike with maybe 1/4th if not 1/5th the power my bike has and is fast as hell.

to be at the front of a race isnt weight... its skill.
    Jason Leleck
    MRA #399

Faster Motosports, XBAM!, Unink, Printworks, Leo Vince Exhaust, Gaerne Boots, Bridgestone, Chickenhawk Racing, Ferodo Brakes, Woodcraft-CFM

oh yea... my times 2:04 high - 2:06 mid..... fast enough to qualify for AMA supersport.... so they were not slow by any means
    Last edited by Lel; Wed Aug 9th, 2006 at 09:30 AM.
    Jason Leleck
    MRA #399

Quote Originally Posted by Lel
    so should rossi's name have an asterick by his name since hes one of the tallest (if not the tallest) rider out there? How much more drag is created by his body at 200mph vs the other guys... quite a bit i would bet.

size/weight fall into another catagory vs how someone is doing in one year.... if rossi was 4ft nothing... would that change he is killing he competition? Not at all. Would everyone say it was his size? maybe... but truth of the matter is that it comes down to skill not weight.

GP is definately down to each ounce, and .5 mph vs 4-5 hp.... so yes pedrosa has an awesome weight advantage... however he has a horrible strength/size disadvantage trying to move the bigger bikes. He even said in an interview at laguna... he trains on a 450F (I can barely touch the ground on a 450f... i have no idea how he does it) just so he can learn to control something bigger.

Look at Elaina Meyers... if you dont know who she is... start finding out... she probably will be the first full factory girl racer (my bet). She is 12 years old, and rides a 125 in WERA and USGPRU. I have a much much much!!!!! higher power to weight ratio than she does... though at miller motorsports park running the full track, she was less than 2 seconds off my times in practice vs her race times! A track that has a straightaway that is the longest thing i have ever ridden on.... She is one hell of a rider... does power matter? not at all shes on a bike with maybe 1/4th if not 1/5th the power my bike has and is fast as hell.

to be at the front of a race isnt weight... its skill.
    Skill is all that matters in WERA. In Motogp, hauling around 50 extra pounds MATTERS! I'd like to see Pedrosa run his times with a 45lb weight theoretically strapped to his back. You're crazy if you don't think he'd be a few tenth's slower.

without doubt that would effect him... and he would be slower.

but make him grow 6" to have those additonal 35-40lbs to match the other riders... and all of a sudden now he has the ability to touch the ground on the bike! haha... but seriously now he has an ability to turn the bike better becuase he is able to get off the bike a little better since his legs are longer... can feel the ground w/ his knee... feeling more input on what the tires are doing etc now that he is taller...

could be be faster now? we'll never know.

your right skill is all that matters in WERA... but skill matters as much in gp... rossi is skilled by learning how to ride around his height and weight... pedrosa is skilled that he can turn a bike that is 3 sizes too big for him... like sticking a 10 year old on a full size dirtbike vs them being on a little pw80 or something... and you on your favorite bike... if they whooped your ass... you wouldnt be blaming their weight.
    Jason Leleck
    MRA #399

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

I contest that the further you get up in the ranks the MORE skill matters. Look at a Biaggi or a Rossi. Ultimately their 1.37% (an assumed number) skill difference equaled one still being in the series and one not. That 1.37% was the difference between being able to ride around problems with the bike or tires, or air temperature or whatever and not. It's a big factor at the lower levels too, but there are plenty of "less skilled" riders in club level racing posting good lap times because they have great bikes. What they lack in corner speed they can make up for (to some extent) on the straights.

The best riders will eventually win the races because no matter how good the bike (or how low your weight is) you will eventually come up on a pass you can't make, a tire problem you can't ride around or a corner you can't keep up in.

S

It takes more than rider skill to win a MotoGP championship. It’s a total team effort of rider, mechanics, sponsors, factory R&D, trainers, team engineers, etc., etc. Winning a championship is one hell of an accomplishment, and the suggestion that any team to pull it off have some sort of asterisk is just silly IMO.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

No matter how you feel, you gotta admit that this is more interesting than last year.

N.HAYDEN 169
    V.ROSSI 143
    D.PEDROSA 140
    M.MELANDRI 134
    L.CAPIROSSI 118
    C.STONER 91
    C.EDWARDS 77
    S.NAKANO 67
    9 K.ROBERTS Jr 66
    J.HOPKINS 64

August 20 Brno Czech Republic
    September 10 Sepang Malaysia
    September 17 Philip Island Australia
    September 24 Motegi Japan
    October 15 Estoril Portugal
    October 29 Valencia Spain
    Last edited by FZRguy; Wed Aug 16th, 2006 at 03:22 PM.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Board Newbie

Nothing beat the sound of the crowd at Laguna Seca out back by the corkscrew when Nicky came around in first after passing Pedrosa (who might have won if his bike didn't start failing.) I wish I video taped the reaction when he came around, a couple females were moved to tears within sight.

I like Nicky alot and met him in 2001? 2000? at Bike week in Loudon, New Hampshire when the AMA still raced Loudon and he was running Superbike for the first year after winning what was then Supersport the season before. We stayed at a hotel about 20 minutes from the track away from the noise and a quarter of the race teams did the same so we shared continental breakfast (yes, the riders ate the continental breakfast) with John Hopkins, Jake Zemke, Nicky Hayden, and Jamie Hacking and he was immensely humble and fine taking pictures with me and my girlfriend. He was actually quite talkative and very friendly and still spoke with food in his mouth so it was cool.

To mirror the Moto GP site, Rossi qualified first for Czech, any bets as to whether he wins?
    Email me for your paint, repair, mechanical and customization needs! I make salvage bikes better than showroom.