Thread: "new" 1976 Honda CB400F Supersport

"new" 1976 Honda CB400F Supersport

Hey all! I'm new to this forum, so let me introduce myself. I ride an '03 Ducati Monster 620ie and live in Denver.

So, on to the business of the thread - My gf just bought a '76 Honda CB400F Supersport! It's actually pretty sweet and fun. She took it for her first ride this morning and loved it. Shoulda seen the perma-grin under the helmet!

As it's 30 years old it kinda has some quirks. Nothing bad, but stuff that we would like to work on. Like adjusting tappets, adjusting/syncing
    carbs, adjusting timing, etc.

Does anyone here have a passion for older bikes and tinkering?
    Do you want to hang out and wrench on this thing with us?
    Does anyone have any great resources for it? (Like manuals, parts graveyard, etc)

Here are a couple of pics. The small one is a crappy phone pic. I'll take a better one next time. Thanks in advance.
    '03 Ducati Monster 620ie

Re: "new" 1976 Honda CB400F Supersport

Pretty sweet looking bike, especially for it's age.
    1997 Suzuki GSF 600S
    2002 Audi S4

It's in pretty good shape. It looks like the original owner tried to touch up a paint scratch with nail polish, the crankcase cover has a little rash, and the engine has a different # than the bike (although this may be pretty common - I don't know). Those original 4 into 1 pipes are in pretty good shape except for a little rust inside.

The only issues that it has are running issues - clattering from the heads especially when cold (tappets?); starts great, but starts to stall, get weak and "lay down" when warm (mixture adjustment?).

And it's soooo much fun to ride! I actually left my Duc at home and took the Honda out last night to ride. 80 mph on that thing makes you giggle like a little girl!
    '03 Ducati Monster 620ie

It looks like it is in great shape, especially considering its age.

As I recall, not many of those were built.

I got this info off a website:
    "HONDA CB400F, 1975-77
    This was a high performance motorcycle, with an engine heavily re-worked from the CB350 motor it was based on. With a new 6 speed gearbox and a 10,000rpm redline, the CB400F could get through a quarter mile in 14.8 seconds. The riding position suits riders less than 6' tall, and adding a passenger strains the suspension, but when subjected to riding of a 'sporty' nature, the machine comes into its element. Power is 32bhp@9000rpm, with torque of 20.21ft/lb@8000rpm. Weight is 573lbs."

Congratulations.

Lee
    2005 Suzuki GSX-R1000 (K5)
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000 (K6) (Wife's bike -> The "Mini-Gixxer")
    2005 Yamaha FJR-1300

If you're riding without a helmet, then you must know that you have nothing to protect.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee
    It looks like it is in great shape, especially considering its age.

As I recall, not many of those were built.

I got this info off a website:
    "HONDA CB400F, 1975-77
    This was a high performance motorcycle, with an engine heavily re-worked from the CB350 motor it was based on. With a new 6 speed gearbox and a 10,000rpm redline, the CB400F could get through a quarter mile in 14.8 seconds. The riding position suits riders less than 6' tall, and adding a passenger strains the suspension, but when subjected to riding of a 'sporty' nature, the machine comes into its element. Power is 32bhp@9000rpm, with torque of 20.21ft/lb@8000rpm. Weight is 573lbs."

Congratulations.

Lee
    It feels like a lot less than 573 lbs. It actually feels lighter than my Duc 620 (425ish). When we get it tuned better it should be pretty spunky. Now it lays down a little when you gun it. It does handle pretty well, though. I'm looking forward to hijacking it and taking it up to ride some twisties.
    '03 Ducati Monster 620ie

very nice bike. It looks like its in excellent shape.
    I picked up a 74 kz400 at a garage sale about a year or so ago for 30 bucks but it is a non runner. Ive found a few decent sources of information on the web and a place called the old bike barn seems to have parts for a lot of older bikes.

http://www.dansmc.com/MC_repaircourse.htm

This is a great site. It seems a little dated now, but will be great for your girl's new ride. It looks like a nice old bike, btw!

Thanks. I'll check those sites. Most of the sites I've found so far
    are pretty outdated - inactive links and so on.

Add "crap alternator/generator/battery" to the list of issues. Battery died while doing parking lot rides. I guess if you don't keep it above 4,000 rpms it doesn't recharge the battery.
    '03 Ducati Monster 620ie