Thread: Figuring out my size.

Figuring out my size.

I just got word my bike is finally in and will be picking it up next weekend. I dont have anytime between now and that date to go try on some gear, but I want to order some in asap so it will arrive hopefully by next weekend. I am looking for a helmet, jacket, and gloves. Is there any tricks to determine what size I need without actually trying anything on? Im 6ft 2in, 160ish lbs (been a few since I weighed myself). Any measurements that I can use to get the right size ordered in?
    A witty saying proves nothing.

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Re: Figuring out my size.

Visit manufacturer websites. Most will have a section that explains the best way to measure yourself, for their particular products.

Personally, I don't think it's the worlds best idea to order gear w/out fitting/sizing it properly; Especially your lid.

But if it's what you gotta do...
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Board Newbie

You can't stop by someplace at lunch or somethign to try on a helmet or jacket? I spent a weeks woprth of lunches over at Fay Myers trying on lids and jackets....found that different helmets fit waaaay different from others.

It's not just about head size, but head shape as well.

You can get away with a jacket...pretty much the size you wear in a regular jacket is a good to place to start in a riding jacket.

Where are you located? Home? Work? Maybe there is a shop aorund you that you could at least stop in and try some stuff on fairly quickly.

Sizes vary WIDELY between manufacturers. I'm 6'8", 230 lbs. I have an XXL Icon Motorhead jacket that fits very well. I have an XXL-tall Cortech jacket (ordered online without ever finding one to try on) that that would fit better if I grew 3 inches and gained 50 lbs. I tried on an XXL-tall Firstgear jacket and there was no way. Too short in the sleeves and narrow across the shoulders, yet baggy around the waist. An XXL-tall Joe Rocket fits pretty well, but bigger through the gut than the Icon.

Go to Performance (or somewhere that carries a lots of gear) and try on a bunch of different brands. When you find a label that fits you well, go online a save some money.

It's also about more than just size. The Cortech jacket is long through the front and gags me when I'm tucked in. The Icon looks like it's short through the front when I'm looking in a mirror, but it's perfect on the bike.

Gear is expensive, and having gear that fits well just makes riding that much better. If you can get into a store, do it.

I forgot to mention: If you can't go to a store, check out NewEnough.com. They go into depth on all the gear they sell and have pictures with actual people wearing it. The reviews give a much better indication of the actual fit than the manufacturers will.
    Last edited by BHeth; Sun Aug 20th, 2006 at 10:30 PM.

When i bought my gear... i thought i knew my size.

That totally changed when i put on everthing i thought was in my size. The gloves were to small, the jacket was to small, the pant needed to be changed for diff ones, etc.

Luckily i was at performance and i did not order online or i would have been stuck for a matter of time.

Aaron
    '08 Suzuki GSXR600

If at all possible try on everything before buying.

I know Firstgear has tall sizes, I am 6'-2" and usually have to buy the talls. I weigh quite a bit more than you, so I am usually in the XXL range and sometimes on the border between regular/tall but i usually go with the talls. With your height/weight I would imagine that you would need a tall. I know the Firstgear site has a height/weight/inseam type of chart, a few others also have them.

Don't buy a helmet online unless you have tried on that specific model and size before. I tried on at least 8 different helmets before I found one that was comfortable. Even helmets of the same manufacturers and same size, fit differently according to model.

Where's Glendale?

Glendale is a small part of town located near Colorado & Mississippi (Denver)

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Just look in the yellow pages for Shotgun Willey's
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

I'd suggest that you get "sized". You should know your basic measurements. This is the same stuff that gets measured if you get a tux for an event. To get it right you'll need a flexible tape measure-preferably cloth and someone else to take them. I've attached a photo and specifics for the areas to measure. Most MC clothings vendors have size charts. And, as previously stated, it is always best to "test fit" at a store before ordering on line. One of the best examples I can find is boot measurements. One size off and your too loose or too tight, and it's hard to return boots.
    Last edited by pilot; Thu Nov 23rd, 2006 at 09:14 PM.

The #1 thing would be for you to try everything on. Gear that fits poorly will not do as well in a crash as it should, nor will it feel comfortable when you ride.

That said, you could start with a 44 & go from there.

------------------------
    Student Driver Racing / My Little Pony Racing
    Aerobics instructor seeks optical illusion...#502, baby

Id' also suggest the need to try in persopn, and preferably at a dealer who has bikes you can use to sit on.

I've yet to find any bike gear that feels the same stood up in, as it does when sat on a bike, which is after all it's primary roll.
    If no bikes around, be sure to try plenty of crouching, knee flexing, etc.

Got a helmet and jacket so far, still looking for pants, boots, and gloves. I dont have any time or way to go to a store to try things on, otherwise I wouldnt be asking this. Im assuming gloves and pretty much all the same size, I wear a Lrg gloves from Mac Tools for work, and im looking at getting some alpinestars in the same size, we'll see how that works out. Got a medium Icon Helmet, fits pretty good. Gave me a headache for the first day or so, but no problems now. Went with a medium joe rocket jacket too, fits pretty well. Slightly lose but not enough to warrent a downsize to a small. Is there a conversion to take a size 13 shoe and buy boots off that?
    A witty saying proves nothing.

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Be aware that A-Stars gloves run a little on the small side. I'm usually a medium and I bought larges.

the fingers seem to be short or something

i agree with rybo go a size larger than normal with a-stars gloves
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S