Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wow, where to start...

Wow, where to start...

First of all I'd like to thank you all very much for the invigorating ride today fellas. The few of us who managed to stick with it, you guys are good riders and I’d love to ride with you again. Moreover, my bike thanks you for letting be riden like it should, and pulling corners so tight that I scraped my shoes a few times. It’s not every day I get the opportunity to push the bike or myself as hard as I can (too much congestion).

Sadly though it wasn't a great ride from the get go. As you all know about 15-20 min into the ride we had a wreck. Not going to say any names but the person who wrecked behind me I hope you'll be kind enough to give me a copy of the video, and for those of you if you ever get the chance to watch the video you'll see me with the yellow jacket right in front. One other thing, thanks for not running into me man.

You got so close to me that I could nearly touch you; needless to say you did your best to not hit me, and the say 5 or so other guys ahead of me. Tragically this course of action caused you to fall and bring down another rider. Needless to say, I feel your pain guy and I think I speak for everyone when I say this, but we’ve all been down that road before, it’s just the nature of the sport. Hopefully you’ll get back-up and shake it off, of course a couple broken ribs won’t be something to shake off over night but it will heal.

With that said and done, the second accident happened roughly +-30min afterward (time flies when your having fun). Did anyone out there get that one on video? That was one wicked fall, clipped a tree hard enough to take the bark off of it, and clipped a pole, smashed into the ditch and only god knows how many somersaults he did after the ditch. Thankfully, believe it or not he was okay. A little shaken up but okay or at least he seemed to be.

Okay well I hope I don’t offend anyone with this post. I’m not by any means trying to express joy off of the nerve racking beginning, but simply and humbly trying to articulate my gratitude for the opportunity to ride with you guys.

FYI Let me know when and where and I’ll do it all over again, outside of what had happened today in the beg.
    Oh and one other thing, sorry I didn’t meet you guys at the Conoco in the morning. I tried to call…next time I’ll leave a message. Sorry, again.
    Last edited by Bassil Duwaik; Sun Sep 3rd, 2006 at 09:39 PM.
    If you don't like me I'll shave your cat, steal your extension cords, not limited to your multiple supply outlet adapters and raid your fridge. Please don't let this inhibit you from contacting me, just be mortified;-p

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Re: Wow, where to start...

Holy crap...
    Didn't you guys have the pre-ride "don't crash" talk?

This might be the worst après ride thread I've ever read. Talk about a nauseating mix of "I pushed as hard as I can", with a side order of "sorry about the horrific crashes".

Glad nobody died.
    Last edited by ~Barn~; Sun Sep 3rd, 2006 at 06:21 PM.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Come on barn, you of all people should talk, considering the predicament that you're in and the oh hmmm various likely scenarios that I'll bear the brunt off in the coming month(s). And it goes without saying that it is with deep regret what had happened to the ones who had fallen. It happens to EVERYONE at one point or another. No one WANTS to fall or for that matter die...that is not the objective, nor will it ever be. I should have noted nor I or anyone else was being wreckless. Not a single person did a wheelie or anything to that effect during the whole oh 7-8hr ride.
    Last edited by Bassil Duwaik; Sun Sep 3rd, 2006 at 06:31 PM.
    If you don't like me I'll shave your cat, steal your extension cords, not limited to your multiple supply outlet adapters and raid your fridge. Please don't let this inhibit you from contacting me, just be mortified;-p

Maybe if they had been out doing wheelies they would not have wound up plowing through trees
    See, look, I know I'm homophobic, but not about gay guys. They don't bother me at all. It's straight guys who don't know their gay... they fuck my shit right up

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~
    This might be the worst après ride thread I've ever read. Talk about a nauseating mix of "I pushed as hard as I can", with a side order of "sorry about the horrific crashes".
    I think you may be taking it a little out of context; you really had to be there to understand that the "I pushed as hard as I can", with a side order of "sorry about the horrific crashes" really were unrelated.

Aside from that, thanks to all for welcoming me. It was good to meet all of you guys. I saw some scenery and enjoyed some roads that I hadn't before. I had a really great time. What an awesome ride!!

Not to throw salt in the wound... but after all you guys took off, Tim (YZF600) went down in GOlden Gate....

He's ok, but his knee is pretty fucked up... he's on his way to the hospital for some stitches.

Not a great day today.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassil Duwaik
    Come on barn, you of all people should talk, considering the predicament that you're in <snip...>

Sure... I've had a bit of trouble keeping the license in recent months. I get that, and those are my own bad decisions. I acknowledge that. You should know though, that I've never once gotten a ticket on a "group ride" with the CSC so-far-as I can remember. And last season in the course of dozens and dozens group rides that I went on with the N-Central group, we didn't experience a single wreck, and I think the only stop I remember was Gramps having a license plate that was mounted sketchy. He got a warning, and we were on our way.

I was really wondering though... did anybody conduct a pre-ride talk? The riding spirited part, I have no problem with. But 2 crashes (3 bikes down) within 45 minutes of departure? That's just either the worst case of bad-luck ever, or nobody took the liberty of dialing everybody down a notch before you rolled out. I really am just curious. Especially since you first paragraph spoke of the toe-dragging and 170+ speeds. And your previous post about Nick_Ninja not being able to keep-up if he ever attended a ride with you.

Don't mean to be a pesimist about the events. Maybe I'm just letting my imagination run.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Truely though, I'm glad nobody got seriously hurt, and I hope everybody gets their rides back quick.

I know I only have a hint of the whole story, not having been there, so I'll just read. Sucks though.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

If this is the worst news today, could have been MUCH worse!
    Heal quickly folks...

Side note:
    On I-70 today, west bound, west of mm 221. Black sport bike with two CSPs behind it. Rider was either waiting in the back of the 1st silver safety car or out of fuel...?
    It works! Slow in, Fast out
    "Sarcasm is difficult to convey on the internet, especially if the people reading it don't know you personally". By Spiderman
    Neither irony nor sarcasm is argument. By Rufus Choate
    Be smart, be nice, do what'cha love and always have fun.
    Let food be your medicine, and medicine be your food. - Hippocrates
    I will use treatment to help the sick. I will never use it to injure them or wrong them. I will not give poison to anyone. - The Hippocratic Oath

Quote Originally Posted by Painzer
    Not to throw salt in the wound... but after all you guys took off, Tim (YZF600) went down in GOlden Gate....

He's ok, but his knee is pretty fucked up... he's on his way to the hospital for some stitches.

Not a great day today.
    Man that sucks big time. Hope he heals quickly and is doing OK.
    I'm the English guy - you can call me Basil (Baazul not Bayzil - that's a herb)

Were any of the downed riders on an black 06 R6? Best wishes...heal quickly

First of all I'd like to thank you all very much for the invigorating ride today fellas. The few of us who managed to stick with it, you guys are good riders and I’d love to ride with you again. Moreover, my bike thanks you for letting it fly pass 170mph, and pulling corners so tight that I scraped my shoes a few times. It’s not every day I get the opportunity to push the bike or myself as hard as I can (too much congestion).

Sadly though it wasn't a great ride from the get go. As you all know about 15-20 min into the ride we had a wreck. Not going to say any names but the person who wrecked behind me I hope you'll be kind enough to give me a copy of the video, and for those of you if you ever get the chance to watch the video you'll see me with the yellow jacket right in front. One other thing, thanks for not running into me man.

You got so close to me that I could nearly touch you; needless to say you did your best to not hit me, and the say 5 or so other guys ahead of me. Tragically this course of action caused you to fall and bring down another rider. Needless to say, I feel your pain guy and I think I speak for everyone when I say this, but we’ve all been down that road before, it’s just the nature of the sport. Hopefully you’ll get back-up and shake it off, of course a couple broken ribs won’t be something to shake off over night but it will heal.

With that said and done, the second accident happened roughly +-30min afterward (time flies when your having fun). Did anyone out there get that one on video? That was one wicked fall, clipped a tree hard enough to take the bark off of it, and clipped a pole, smashed into the ditch and only god knows how many somersaults he did after the ditch. Thankfully, believe it or not he was okay. A little shaken up but okay or at least he seemed to be.

Okay well I hope I don’t offend anyone with this post. I’m not by any means trying to express joy off of the nerve racking beginning, but simply and humbly trying to articulate my gratitude for the opportunity to ride with you guys.

FYI Let me know when and where and I’ll do it all over again, outside of what had happened today in the beg.
    Oh and one other thing, sorry I didn’t meet you guys at the Conoco in the morning. I tried to call…next time I’ll leave a message. Sorry, again.
    First glad to hear...or hope everyone is home and okay...all things considered.
    Now........I am so glad I didn't participate in today's festivities. I am some what troubled with the post and reading about the mishaps. First pushing 170MPH on the roads....absolutely RETARDED. Sorry if that is harsh, but you can do whatever you want but that is just putting others in danger as well. I then read about how you are stating how close others are riding and rather want to know if there was videos of the wreck......maybe I am wrong but appears your head is in the wrong place?? "Hey sorry you crashed, possibly hurt, and bike is messed up......but can I get a video from you?" The CSC that I joined years ago was not and has not been like that. I agree with Barn on his points......was the a pre-ride meeting? Was there a dedicated leader of the ride? A "trailer" (person in back ensuring all riders make it to the checkpoing)? Doing 170MPH I can't believe the group stayed together.
    Overall sounds like "not such a good day" and those days will happen. However there are some things you can do to prevent them and help reduce the risk to some degree.
    Sounds like you should have come down to Pueblo on Saturday with all of us for the track day.....there you can open it up as much as you want, hit corners as fast as you like....and the best part is you don't have to worry about cars, gaurd rails, trees, gravel, etc........

Be smart out there everyone!!!!

I hope you'll be kind enough to give me a copy of the video.
    Well, here it is:

http://home.earthlink.net/~whosyourdad/StovePrairie/StovePrarieCrash_9-3-2006.mpg

I guess the camera didn't like the 2 or 3 tank slaps before I went down. This is all the footage I've got.

Anyone hear of fork seals causing a crash? I'm very curious.

crashin' sux
    "Do you have a staring problem?"
    "No, I have no problem staring."

Bike History:

Quote Originally Posted by Wahooman
    First glad to hear...or hope everyone is home and okay...all things considered.
    Now........I am so glad I didn't participate in today's festivities. I am some what troubled with the post and reading about the mishaps. First pushing 170MPH on the roads....absolutely RETARDED. Sorry if that is harsh, but you can do whatever you want but that is just putting others in danger as well. I then read about how you are stating how close others are riding and rather want to know if there was videos of the wreck......maybe I am wrong but appears your head is in the wrong place?? "Hey sorry you crashed, possibly hurt, and bike is messed up......but can I get a video from you?" The CSC that I joined years ago was not and has not been like that. I agree with Barn on his points......was the a pre-ride meeting? Was there a dedicated leader of the ride? A "trailer" (person in back ensuring all riders make it to the checkpoing)? Doing 170MPH I can't believe the group stayed together.
    Overall sounds like "not such a good day" and those days will happen. However there are some things you can do to prevent them and help reduce the risk to some degree.
    Sounds like you should have come down to Pueblo on Saturday with all of us for the track day.....there you can open it up as much as you want, hit corners as fast as you like....and the best part is you don't have to worry about cars, gaurd rails, trees, gravel, etc........

Be smart out there everyone!!!!
    I was the group leader. We had a pre-ride meeting. An incredibly in depth meeting. All riders were aware of the obstacles, (cattle guards, possible catlle on the road, etc) THey were also told about the pace. Maybe they misunderstood when i said it would be a "spirited" pace... but that means quick.

THe first crash, the one involving 2 riders looks to have been caused by a bike malfunction. THe 2nd crash, was just a bad decision by the rider. If you've never made a bad decision, then you have room to talk. It's never a big deal when your bad decision turns into only a "close call" but when you go down because of it, yeah, it is a big deal.

All riders were told to ride at their own pace. And for the most part they did. Only 1 of the crashes today was b/c of "riding over one's head", and in addition to that, I think a shitty rear tire didn't help the cause. (still the fault of that rider).

The Uppity attitude of some of the community over here at CSC is what repelled me from coming over here in the first place. I think I'll stick over at sportbikes.ws where the community is warm, welcoming, and forgiving.

Holy shit! One thread about tickets adding up to enough points to revoke your license, then a post about doing 170

That just ain't using your head.

Go ahead and post your riding intentions so I know what group not to ride with.

Glad to hear no one died today, but with all the recent posts from people hell bent on riding stupid fast on public roads, it's just a mater of time.

Two days on the tracks this weekend (60+ bikes) and there have been a handfull of lowsides, all without injury and the bikes rode away.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

[quote=-=LiQuiD=-]Well, here it is:

http://home.earthlink.net/~whosyourdad/StovePrairie/StovePrarieCrash_9-3-2006.mpg

I guess the camera didn't like the 2 or 3 tank slaps before I went down. This is all the footage I've got.

Anyone hear of fork seals causing a crash? I'm very curious.

crashin' sux[/quote

That sucks man, glad that you came out of it alright. I hope the bike is recoverable as well.

I gotta agree with Barn and Wahoo, 170+ on public roads is dumber than wheelies down I-25 in front of news cameras. That kind of speed is definitely best suited to the track.

Do we all speed on occasion? Hell yeah we do, but 170 is just fucking ridiculous. I don't know the circumstances of the other crash, but my first thought would be someone trying to keep up with the fast guys and getting in over their heads?

Keep it smart everyone, group rides should be fun, not dangerous.
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

*bites tounge*

Quote Originally Posted by McVaaahhh

Do we all speed on occasion? Hell yeah we do, but 170 is just fucking ridiculous. I don't know the circumstances of the other crash, but my first thought would be someone trying to keep up with the fast guys and getting in over their heads?

Keep it smart everyone, group rides should be fun, not dangerous.
    Just a quick FYI... all crashes were at speeds less than 35 mph.

Quote Originally Posted by King Nothing
    *bites tounge*
    That's better than most of your other members can do. THanks.

The King will only bite for so long. Savor the flavor.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller

Go ahead and post your riding intentions so I know what group not to ride with.
    We did.

Glad to hear no one died today, but with all the recent posts from people hell bent on riding stupid fast on public roads, it's just a mater of time.
    I'm glad to hear it too, but mine isn't said with sarcasm.

Two days on the tracks this weekend (60+ bikes) and there have been a handfull of lowsides, all without injury and the bikes rode away.
    We also experienced a handful of lowsides. All bikes rode away as well. And only injury was to a rider not wearing proper gear. I'm sure an upstanding member such as yourself has NEVER ridden in jeans.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~
    The King will only bite for so long. Savor the flavor.
    No biggie. I won't be around long enough to savor it anyway.

*tounge starting to bleed*

Quote Originally Posted by Painzer
    That's better than most of your other members can do. THanks.
    Umm.....if you are a CSC member then "your other members" is part of your family too.....we are family and look out for each other.

I think I'll stick over at sportbikes.ws where the community is warm, welcoming, and forgiving
    Sounds like a good idea if they approve of that..........I don't think anyone was not "welcoming" or forgiving....never said that. Glad everyone was okay and made it home. THANK GOD!
    But really read the posts and most....(as you can read the replies) reacted the same.

See ya on the track