Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie ride Sunday Sept 10

Newbie ride Sunday Sept 10

Alright everyone, I know there are a few new people on bikes that have recently joined, and also a few new people in the area. So no matter how "slow" you are or how "new" you are, your welcome to join us.

I don't mean in any way to be a Nazi group leader here, but anyone without minimal gear (helmet, jacket, gloves) will be turned away. (We had a passenger come out without a helmet last Sunday and was almost turned away until we borrowed one from a friend not riding)

We will be meeting in Lafayette (starbucks on 287 & S Boulder Rd @ 0800) first then moving onto Morison Conoco Gas station ( leaving Conoco @ 0915) to meet with the rest of the group. Keep in mind there will be other groups but we will not be joining them, maybe some of you will at a later date, hehehe.....

There will be a few seasoned riders around that if you have any questions, feel free to ask. There are no stupid questions..... just don't ask how to do wheelies or stoppies. Please don't try them either around this group ride either.

This will be more of a mountain cruise with plenty of stops (fair warning). Stops to maintain the group, to relax, and to chit chat about riding techniques, discuss rights and wrongs about bike etiquette (sorry for spelling) and the differences in riding solo to riding in a group.

If there are any other seasoned riders interested in having an easy day, please let me know. There will still be the occasional spirited runs through a "couple" turns here n there, just not an all out quick pace. Post up or email me if interested.

Jay (303) 557-8013

PS - Expect to ride at least 100-150 miles....

I also have found a "spot" to practice your turns (left and right) where the police may come by and just watch. We have gone there in the late Sunday afternoons after our rides to have others practice. Local authorities will stop by every so often but will get bored and leave. State Trooper stopped once and we chit chatted for a bit before he left. We clean up the area before we leave (any trash, drinks etc). I recommend this to anyone who turns and feels like they cannot trust their tires. I will talk to people about this individually on Sunday..... We even have people practice riding two up out there.
    Last edited by Slo; Tue Sep 5th, 2006 at 06:12 PM.

Re: Newbie ride Sunday Sept 10

Mind if I join along? I enjoyed our last ride (although it was a while back) to Nederland. Also, I would like to chat more about the "emergency calling list" you mentioned.

Absolutely man!!!! You don't ever have to ask, just show up....haha, kinda like how I did in the past.

Emergency list, yes.... we shall talk about it.

I should be there. Till then.

Hey Jay,

Hope I can make this one. I have some family flying in from England so it may be doubtful. What are you looking at from Morrison, 2 to 3 hours?
    I'm the English guy - you can call me Basil (Baazul not Bayzil - that's a herb)

Hmmmm, counting all the stops and lunch more like late afternoon by the time we get back. I would say at least until 3pm, however if you can make it out for a limited time, we can adjust accordingly so that your not too far from getting back in town?

What did you mean when you said "Keep in mind there will be other groups but we will not be joining them, maybe some of you will at a later date, hehehe....." Does this mean that the other groups are seasoned riders? I'm trying to find a group of seasoned riders to tag along with this weekend. I love riding with experienced people just because when you ride with them you seldom have to look for them while ride, you can almost sense where they are not to say you shouldn't look from time to time though. Just saying that I can ride more confidently around them. The ride that I took with painzer was good to say the least. Outside of the human error of which every rider presents I’d like to take another ride something along the lines of what I had taken with him.
    If you don't like me I'll shave your cat, steal your extension cords, not limited to your multiple supply outlet adapters and raid your fridge. Please don't let this inhibit you from contacting me, just be mortified;-p

Quote Originally Posted by Bassil Duwaik
    What did you mean when you said "Keep in mind there will be other groups but we will not be joining them, maybe some of you will at a later date, hehehe....." Does this mean that the other groups are seasoned riders?
    We have people coming from different sides of town, so we meet at one spot then head to the other, these happen to be spots where other groups meet as well.

I have 3 friends which have less than 6 months of seat time. These are friends of mine in which I feel should not ride with some of the more "spirited" groups. At least not yet, they are learning pretty quickly but not ready for a quicker pace. Plus we stop pretty often and talk about what was going on during the ride, see if there were any uncomfortable paces, turns, etc. Sometimes someone follows too closely, or stays back too far, whatever the situation is, then we talk about it. All the little ins and outs of riding in a group, staying in someones rear view mirror while being staggered, when to switch lanes so you don't leave everyone else behind in the group.

Once my friends feel confident and experienced enough, they will get out into other groups.....I just don't want them to have any added pressure.

well if you happen to know any seasoned riders that are going for a ride please let me know. In the event that I don't find a group I'll tag along with you guys on the condition that I ride behind you all so I can keep my eye on you guys.
    If you don't like me I'll shave your cat, steal your extension cords, not limited to your multiple supply outlet adapters and raid your fridge. Please don't let this inhibit you from contacting me, just be mortified;-p

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slo1299
    We have people coming from different sides of town, so we meet at one spot then head to the other, these happen to be spots where other groups meet as well.

I have 3 friends which have less than 6 months of seat time. These are friends of mine in which I feel should not ride with some of the more "spirited" groups. At least not yet, they are learning pretty quickly but not ready for a quicker pace. Plus we stop pretty often and talk about what was going on during the ride, see if there were any uncomfortable paces, turns, etc. Sometimes someone follows too closely, or stays back too far, whatever the situation is, then we talk about it. All the little ins and outs of riding in a group, staying in someones rear view mirror while being staggered, when to switch lanes so you don't leave everyone else behind in the group.

Once my friends feel confident and experienced enough, they will get out into other groups.....I just don't want them to have any added pressure.
    You appear to be a very responsible leader. Good job!
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Yes, Jay is very good and he truly does care for the safety of the group.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassil Duwaik
    well if you happen to know any seasoned riders that are going for a ride please let me know. In the event that I don't find a group I'll tag along with you guys on the condition that I ride behind you all so I can keep my eye on you guys.

There are plenty of groups that leave morison at all different times. Also there is a group that leaves from Lafayette, however I haven't ridden with all the different groups so I can't go inviting people to "their" rides. Best suggestion is to introduce yourself in a thread around an area you want to ride out from, let others know your opinion of a spirited ride and see what kind of a feel you get from them.

I like these newbie rides here n there, it gives others a chance to learn without putting themselves at too much risk or pressure. Everywhere I have moved to, theres always been a group that volunteered to be a tour guide. So here is my chance with my little knowledge of routes to give back to other newbies.

Just an FYI.... bringing up the rear can actually be one of the more dangerous roles of riding in a group and takes much more concentration especially on a newbie ride. Obviously your bringing up the rear so that no one gets left behind from going slow, or worse, going down. Also your keeping an eye out for anything out of the ordinary; bad technique, bad judgement on a riders part, etc. Anything that puts themself or others on the road at more risk.
    Last edited by Slo; Mon Sep 4th, 2006 at 07:50 PM.

It does indeed show. I wish I had started with him when I first begin riding, might have held on to that JXS-R a little longer. Ended up making a left turn late at night and the way the headlights on the bike are you can't see anything untill it's nearly in front of you. Anyways, I ended up hitting a pot-hole, more like a damn trench going about 20 and it caught my front tire and flipped the bike onto the curb breaking the block.

Jay's correct. There is a smaller group of us up North (Lafayette, Broomfield, Arvada, Louisville, Boulder) that meet up once in a while for a more "spirited" ride, but no 170 mph, tickets or crashing . Not sure If I can make the 10th, but I'll keep my eye on the 287/South Boulder Starbuck's meeting place to see who's going.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo1299
    Also there is a group that leaves from Lafayette, however I haven't ridden with all the different groups so I can't go inviting people to "their" rides. Best suggestion is to introduce yourself in a thread around an area you want to ride out from, let others know your opinion of a spirited ride and see what kind of a feel you get from them.
    Last edited by dgoldan; Mon Sep 4th, 2006 at 10:29 PM.
    Dan

'00 R1

Just an FYI.... bringing up the rear can actually be one of the more dangerous roles of riding in a group and takes much more concentration especially on a newbie ride. Obviously your bringing up the rear so that no one gets left behind from going slow, or worse, going down. Also your keeping an eye out for anything out of the ordinary; bad technique, bad judgement on a riders part, etc. Anything that puts themself or others on the road at more risk.[/quote]

kinda thought that that went without saying. Trying to find something with my temperment/exp. But thanks for the heads up. Worse comes to worse I just bought this brand new cattle prod that I mounted on my bike for such events;-p
    Last edited by Bassil Duwaik; Tue Sep 5th, 2006 at 12:44 AM.

This sounds like a good opportunity for a two-up with my wife in a group setting. Not sure how long we will stay with the group since back seats on sports bike are kind of like sitting on a 2X4 covered with sand paper!

Anyone see a problem with a passenger in this group?

Come on good weather!

Quote Originally Posted by noskills
    This sounds like a good opportunity for a two-up with my wife in a group setting. Not sure how long we will stay with the group since back seats on sports bike are kind of like sitting on a 2X4 covered with sand paper!

Anyone see a problem with a passenger in this group?

Come on good weather!
    Not at all, there will be other people riding two-up like myself. My new bike is uncomfortable for me and a passenger also, but with the frequent stops, it's not so bad. As long as we keep turning and staying off straightaways, I don't notice it too much.

I will try to be their again this time. Last weekend was alot of fun. The slower rides are perfect for 2 up. Thanks, Jay
    02 R6

Quote Originally Posted by TommyGun
    I will try to be their again this time. Last weekend was alot of fun. The slower rides are perfect for 2 up. Thanks, Jay
    Great!!!! See you out there.

Original post edited again at the bottom.

I look forward to joing this ride with all of you on Sunday. As a newbie, are there any specific rules I should be aware of..ie,. gear for example?

Quote Originally Posted by Sumo
    I look forward to joing this ride with all of you on Sunday. As a newbie, are there any specific rules I should be aware of..ie,. gear for example?
    Please try to have at a minimum helmet, gloves, some sort of riding jacket. Some sort of boots preferably over tennis shoes. Just my opinion.

If you don't have a helmet, jacket, gloves, let me know, between me and a few friends, we may be able to have you covered in case your missing something.

As far as rules, we will discuss basic group do's and dont's at Conoco. I don't mean for this to be a "hey this is how your going to ride and everything else is wrong!!!", this is meant for fun and help out other fellow errrrr motorcyclists?

Great! I've got it covered, thanks again!

It looks like this ride is still on. Weather looks reasonable--but bring rain gear if you got it. I was up by Loveland Pass today and there is some snow on the ground above tree line. Bit nippy too.

I'll be meeting some other riders at 8:45AM at Grand Prix Motorsports. Then we will depart promptly to the Conoco.
    There weren't a whole lot of riders at the Conoco this morning (weather?). So, I think that Sunday should show up a fair amount of riders.

SLO1299--I'm looking forward to joining you and the rest of the riders.

Pilot