Thread: Stop Light Cycler Magnets

Stop Light Cycler Magnets

Recently put the Green Light Trigger magnet on the bike to cycle the stoplights. Seems to work most of the time but not all (not talking about the lights that use the sensor beam). Anyone used it or another style and what luck have you had? Any improvement by running a couple of them together?

Only here for the free Wi-Fi Site Admin Spiderman's Avatar

Re: Stop Light Cycler Magnets

I have the same one as you (have had it for a few years), but I haven't had much luck with it - depends on the light, I guess.
    Bob <------ Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
         - 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec (Cafe Racer)
         - 2004 Yamaha R6 (racebike)
         - 2006 Yamaha R1 (racebike)
    R.I.P. 502
    ~ Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end.

Do you know what they are (neodymium magnets??)
    03 GSXR 750

- 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
    R.I.P. 502

I found the website for the "Green light trigger HP". It is priced at $24.95. Is there any local stores that carries this product? Is it worth purchasing?

are they illegal? and where can I get one if they are?

Why can't people just enjoy their time waiting for green lights?

I used to have problems at some stoplights in Phoenix. I haven't had any problems with stoplights here in the Springs.

In Phoenix, if you are having problems with the sensor picking up your bike, you can call the city where the light is located and they should come out and recalibrate it so it will change when a bike is present.

No they're not illegal. I got mine at TrickTape.com. IIRC, I paid $15 a few years ago, it's $6.50 now: http://www.tricktape.com/index.asp?P...ROD&ProdID=177
    R.I.P. 502

Quote Originally Posted by Fly boy
    are they illegal? and where can I get one if they are?
    Nothing illegal just trips the light by emulating a bigger vehicle, all explained here http://www.greenlightstuff.com/trigger.html
    1998 CBR600F3 "Desert Storm" - SOLD

WAS keeping the banana seat alive!

do they trigger the light almost instantly, or do you still have to wait, just don't have to worry about hitting the cencor?

Any anyone interested in a group buy from Bob's website place?

Quote Originally Posted by DeeStylez
    I found the website for the "Green light trigger HP". It is priced at $24.95. Is there any local stores that carries this product? Is it worth purchasing?
    This is the one I got. As reported it seems to work most of the time but not all. I'm still not sure if it has to do w/ where you position yourself over the road sensor or if anywhere will do. They show an example on the package but its not the same as what they have here in CO. Otherwise, when it does work it triggers instantly like you were in a car.

Good idea? Er, maybe not...

Traffic signal preemption is a type of system that allows the normal operation of traffic lights to be preempted, often to assist emergency vehicles. The most common use of these systems is to allow emergency vehicles priority by changing all signals to green for the emergency vehicle and stopping all conflicting traffic. Sometimes, signal preemption is also used at railroad grade crossings to prevent collisions, and by light-rail and bus rapid transit systems to allow public transportation to bypass red lights, improving commute times.
    The key advantages of signal preemption include their ability to reduce response time for emergency services and to increase safety on the road.
    These devices generally operate by use of infrared strobe lights. Each emergency vehicle is equipped with a remote control triggering device that emits invisible flashes of light at a specified frequency . Receiving devices placed on or near intersection traffic control devices recognize the signal and preempt the normal cycle of traffic lights. Once the emergency vehicle passes through the intersection and the receiving device no longer senses the remote triggering device, normal operation resumes.
    The most common signal premption systems are the Opticom by 3M and the STROBECOM by Tomar Electronics.
    There are limitations inherent in the standard signal preemption systems, which rely on line-of-sight communcation between the emergency vehicle and the receiver. This leads to some intersections unnecessarily being affected, and conversely other intersections not receiving the signal in time to clear the intersection for the approaching emergency vehicle. Research into dynamic route clearance has been made to solve these problems and improve traffic preemption with centrally-based route command and control.
    Other problems include the potential abuse of the system. Anyone with an infrared strobe light at the appropriate frequency can activate the system. Jason Niccum, of Longmont, Colorado made news in March 2006 when he was caught using such a device he bought on eBay for $100. He had been using it to speed his commute for two years. Various systems are available to prevent such abuse, including encoding the strobe frequency and installing encrypted radio emitters to authenticate signals. Moreover, the SAFETEA-LU law signed in August 2005 made the sale or illegal use of a traffic preemption device in the United States a serious federal crime, with a minimum sentence of six months in prison.

Quote Originally Posted by pilot
    Good idea? Er, maybe not...

Traffic signal preemption is a type of system that allows the normal operation of traffic lights to be preempted, often to assist emergency vehicles. The most common use of these systems is to allow emergency vehicles priority by changing all signals to green for the emergency vehicle and stopping all conflicting traffic. Sometimes, signal preemption is also used at railroad grade crossings to prevent collisions, and by light-rail and bus rapid transit systems to allow public transportation to bypass red lights, improving commute times.
    The key advantages of signal preemption include their ability to reduce response time for emergency services and to increase safety on the road.
    These devices generally operate by use of infrared strobe lights. Each emergency vehicle is equipped with a remote control triggering device that emits invisible flashes of light at a specified frequency . Receiving devices placed on or near intersection traffic control devices recognize the signal and preempt the normal cycle of traffic lights. Once the emergency vehicle passes through the intersection and the receiving device no longer senses the remote triggering device, normal operation resumes.
    The most common signal premption systems are the Opticom by 3M and the STROBECOM by Tomar Electronics.
    There are limitations inherent in the standard signal preemption systems, which rely on line-of-sight communcation between the emergency vehicle and the receiver. This leads to some intersections unnecessarily being affected, and conversely other intersections not receiving the signal in time to clear the intersection for the approaching emergency vehicle. Research into dynamic route clearance has been made to solve these problems and improve traffic preemption with centrally-based route command and control.
    Other problems include the potential abuse of the system. Anyone with an infrared strobe light at the appropriate frequency can activate the system. Jason Niccum, of Longmont, Colorado made news in March 2006 when he was caught using such a device he bought on eBay for $100. He had been using it to speed his commute for two years. Various systems are available to prevent such abuse, including encoding the strobe frequency and installing encrypted radio emitters to authenticate signals. Moreover, the SAFETEA-LU law signed in August 2005 made the sale or illegal use of a traffic preemption device in the United States a serious federal crime, with a minimum sentence of six months in prison.
    Huh strobes and the magnets are two different things, i would think there wouldnt be anything illegal with the magnet that trips the light just like a car...the strobes are a whole different story
    1998 CBR600F3 "Desert Storm" - SOLD

WAS keeping the banana seat alive!

I don't think they would have any issue w/ the magnets because it is no different than activating the signal with a car passing over it, or putting a kickstand down.
    The strobe would be a nice add-on though

Yah, I justed posted the "strobe" idea up as a gag. But, I guess that guy up in Northern CO thought it was a good idea, NOT!

Member Yearly Supporter TommyTheKid's Avatar

There are some lights around the Interlocken area (Broomfield) that are only sensor tripped at night, especially left turn arrows. (and they have to put the damn RED ARROW) I have actually taken to making right turns then U-Turn (then another right if I wanted to keep going).

Maybe I should look into these cool toys

~tommy
    Last edited by TommyTheKid; Fri Oct 13th, 2006 at 01:28 PM.
    ~~TommyTheKid~~
    BLUE 2005 Suzuki DL-650 V-Strom
    - my first bike - 2006-08-21
    YELLOW 2006 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II - for snowboarding season - 2006-03-18
    ... so, yea, I have some debt

Quote Originally Posted by InlineSIX24
    Recently put the Green Light Trigger magnet on the bike to cycle the stoplights. Seems to work most of the time but not all (not talking about the lights that use the sensor beam). Anyone used it or another style and what luck have you had? Any improvement by running a couple of them together?

NOT A GOOD IDEA.... asking for trouble

there was a Schlongmont (Longmont) guy that had a similiar device, the traffic guys noticed a change in their stop light stats, as these devices are usually managed by a traffic computer network and rely on using statistics to time the lights with traffic patterns, jacking with that caught their attention and they set up a sting so when said dude goes through his ill gotten GREEN LIGHT, he saw flashing red lights

Big Brother will always get you.

I am not a Civil Engineer in real life, I only play one at work.

these comments and more have been brought to you by Preparation H. Got a Rhoid that needs reliefe, try Preparation H!.

Again.. the magnets don't do anything different than what the metal on the bottom of a car does when it passes over the sensor - so no foul there. The strobe idea... yeah - that would be asking for trouble.

I'm starting to look into something that will alter the light when I get to it. I've had to run countless lights because the sensor wouldn't pick up my bike. One time I thought I'd humor myself and wait for the light to change. I kid you not I saw the light change in every direction but mine (red arrow for left turn) no less then perhaps 20 times. I was stuck there for like 30min. till a car pulled up behind me. I'm not looking for another ticket but what's the alternitive.
    If you don't like me I'll shave your cat, steal your extension cords, not limited to your multiple supply outlet adapters and raid your fridge. Please don't let this inhibit you from contacting me, just be mortified;-p

I brought all my shoes and all my glasses so I would have them

Just put your kickstand down...that's always worked for me.
    ~Travis~
    It's okay...I'm a Doctor.
    Originally Posted by Keyser Soze
    Everybody on CSC knows everything
    2003 GSX-R600 - Former Love
    2003 Kawasaki ZX6R - Former Love
    1999 Suzuki TL1000R - Former Love
    2004 DRZ400E - New Dirty
    2002 KFX 650 - Quad

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

*sigh*

Strobes = illegal, because they cause an immediate trigger (a la firetruck or ambulance).

Magnet = legal, because it doesn't instantly trigger anything, it just makes the light think a car is there - so the light performs no differently than if you pulled up to a red light in your cage. Whether they're effective or not is another debate.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

When the weather gets better I will test my trigger magnet out over there on (Centretech and Airport). That light I had trouble with for quite sometime. I feel your pain Bassil D...

also the kickstand technique.....

Agree with most said above. The magnets are not illegal. They just help your bike be "sensed" by the triggers under/in the pavement without having to pull into the center of the lane where all the oil from the cagers is at. Putting your kick stand down possibly leans your bike over the center more and gives a bigger profile from the sensors point of view?

I commuted in the Los Angeles area for several years and it made a big difference on the left handers. Now when I come up on a light I pull way up so a car behind me can trigger the sensor.

The one I had in Cali was a neodyme magnet. If you have a few old hard drives around or that you can get your hands on pull them apart and attach the magnets to the bottom of your bike. After you have fun playing with them. They are extremenly strong for their size.
    Last edited by denverbusa; Mon Oct 23rd, 2006 at 07:51 PM.
    The older I get the faster I was!