Thread: Foggy shields!

Clever Custom User Title Lifetime Supporter Jaydoc's Avatar

Re: Foggy shields!

Quote Originally Posted by Fly boy
    Guess my posts means nothing!!!

"Or a http://www.ridegear.com/rg/item/F-11...l?source=pgrab

that works amazing!"

shrivled mullet heads!
    Of course your post means something! I don't know what, but something.

(BTW, did you notice that that Z1R breath guard in your post is almost exactly like the ones that Rory, Canuck, and I were talking about? )
    Last edited by Jaydoc; Thu Sep 21st, 2006 at 09:02 PM.
    Jim
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9
    Not a slam, but I am curious if you've been on the board for 3 years, even if you've just been reading the board, why does this thread surprise you? I mean it's pretty much par for the course on here.

Forgive him, he lives close to Canada
    See, look, I know I'm homophobic, but not about gay guys. They don't bother me at all. It's straight guys who don't know their gay... they fuck my shit right up

I used Zook... and on bad days I just cracked the visor. Breath guards were always a PITA for me.

Alternately... my heated visor never fogged.

Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.

Jaydoc.... I know you guys were talking about them, and had a link in my post near the top, but no one caught on until they read yours

Ok, personally I don't like the respro mask. It does't seem to work well with my facial features (long thin nose). It doesn't seal against my cheeks but pinches my nostrils together so I can't breathe.

I've been using the Fog City inserts (both the clear ones and the dark one). The bad thing is they scratch pretty easily so you absolutly cannot use any paper towels or cloths to clean the inside. I've been using dishwashing soap and just letting it air dry.

The clear one is around 15 bucks and the dark one is almost 40. I like the dark one but since niether last for more than a season the clear one is a better value.

The clear one works to about 15 degrees or so then your damp breath just freezes on the inside of the shield. Nothing like riding down the road and having to turn your head to see ahead. At about 15 I'll break out the Respro and it'll work reasonably well (8 degrees lowest so far). I'm considering just getting a large diameter hose and running it outside my helmet. Breathe in, blow out, no fog, period

I'd say that if the Respro works for you then it'd probably be the best to use but if you can't, the fog city shields work real well.

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

The only other gripe about the Fog City is that at night, lights seem to have a big halo around them and takes getting used to.

Quote Originally Posted by eklew
    The only other gripe about the Fog City is that at night, lights seem to have a big halo around them and takes getting used to.
    Yea that's true. I seem to be able to ignore it reasonably well though. I also have a second shield without the FC installed on it just in case

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

REI sells a product called Kat Krap that you use on the inside of the visor. Seems to work well for me.
    Jeff in Littleton
    '02 Blackbird
    '98 Sports racer

Member Yearly Supporter TommyTheKid's Avatar

Maybe I am hot breathed or something? I have tried the Cat Crap I use on my snowboarding goggles and still had problems while stopped. It most certainly *helps* tho. I like the hose idea and it could probably be implemented for under $10 at homeless depot?

I have a "shield" of sorts that came with my helmet (Shoei RF1000) that supposedly protects my shield, but just causes my breath to go by my glasses and fog them up instead, D'oh!

~tommy
    ~~TommyTheKid~~
    BLUE 2005 Suzuki DL-650 V-Strom
    - my first bike - 2006-08-21
    YELLOW 2006 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II - for snowboarding season - 2006-03-18
    ... so, yea, I have some debt

we have this "miracle" cleaning stuff pretty expensive initially but everything you dilute depending on what you are using it for anyway one of the cool things is that when you use it on glass or even the helmet visor... it doesn't fog up even if you breathe on it it wont fog up... pretty good stuff

black and chrome 2006 cbr 1000 rr
    black and chrome 05 toyota tacoma
    csc representing

now with bi-turbo goodness Site Admin Mel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thunderseye
    we have this "miracle" cleaning stuff pretty expensive initially but everything you dilute depending on what you are using it for anyway one of the cool things is that when you use it on glass or even the helmet visor... it doesn't fog up even if you breathe on it it wont fog up... pretty good stuff
    Be careful if you are using glass cleaners (or any cleaners); most cleaners will take the finish off a tinted or iriduim helmet. There is specifically anti fog spray you can get from like Performance (I have to look at the bottle at home to get the name) and most of the newer helmets come with anti-fog shields (though typically only the clears are any fog).
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Board Newbie

I used to use a breath guard but have found that spit is the most convenient. It's always available, you never run out of it, and you don't have to dig it out of a tank bag or pocket.

+1 for Zook