Thread: No Smoking

Re: No Smoking

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis
    Just take the smug bullshit
    No smug bullshit here... just adding fuel to the fire
    Jon

AKA "Devaclis"

I hear ya. I am not trying to offend anyone. Just trying to relay how pissed I am that my public freedoms are getting nickled and dimed away from me.

BTW: How'd you quit?
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis
    I hear ya. I am not trying to offend anyone. Just trying to relay how pissed I am that my public freedoms are getting nickled and dimed away from me.

BTW: How'd you quit?
    I totally understand. As an ex-smoker I LOVE the fact I can go out with everyone and not have to take on the added expense of a dry cleaner to clear the smoke out of everything I own

I don't agree with it from a business owners standpoint though. As mentioned earlier, if I owned a bar it should be my choice what I allow there. Just like I can choose what liquor to sell, how it's decorated, etc.

I personally quit cold turkey. It took a few weeks to stop smoking when we'd hit the clubs but eventually I got tired of giving away half smoked packs of cigs the day after going out. I'd try having one the next morning and was so turned off by it I'd give the rest of the pack to whatever person was out smoking with me. Once you get your taste buds & smell back, it makes it a lot easier to kick. The hardest thing for me was the physical addiction. I chewed a fuck load of gum for months after I quit...
    Jon

But look at the good it's doing not just for all of us but for our neighbor's down south as well....

http://www.kfor.com/Global/story.asp...8&nav=menu99_6
    "Beauty before anger" ~ Cat118!

funny but I couldnt find any info to back that up like the original studies perhaps?

once again nonsmokers have always had options for smoke free restaurants etc. you dont want to have a heart attack? go there

One of my favorite things about being a grown up used to be that decisions concerning my health and well being were mine to make now I guess I still have ice cream before dinner course that may change soon who knows. Any of you who have been to New Mexico should be familiar that restaurants there are no smoking, al of them, but you can still smoke in bars guess they understand that drunk drivers kill more folks than second hand smoke
    If your gonna be dumb you gotta be tough

Quote Originally Posted by lifeon2
    funny but I couldnt find any info to back that up like the original studies perhaps?
    Just because I'm bored . . .

http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/conte...55.715683.55v1
    "Beauty before anger" ~ Cat118!

Quote Originally Posted by Vance
    Bueller... this perspective is simply wrong wrong wrong....
    Your opinion.

AKA "Devaclis"

Opinions are like democrats.... not 1 of them is worth a shit unless they are opposed. And even then, they are just opposed.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Busagirl thanks for the link but it does say the law "may" be responsible keep in mind folks the same stuff that causes cancer from cigs also comes out your exhaust pipe
    If your gonna be dumb you gotta be tough

Gotta love the non-discreet warnings on the packs over in the UK

Jon

It works! Slow in, Fast out
    "Sarcasm is difficult to convey on the internet, especially if the people reading it don't know you personally". By Spiderman
    Neither irony nor sarcasm is argument. By Rufus Choate
    Be smart, be nice, do what'cha love and always have fun.
    Let food be your medicine, and medicine be your food. - Hippocrates
    I will use treatment to help the sick. I will never use it to injure them or wrong them. I will not give poison to anyone. - The Hippocratic Oath

Bueller... this perspective is simply wrong wrong wrong....

Eating raw meat is a choice (albeit a potentially deadly one with the varieties of strange things floating about in meat, poultry, pork, etc these days)

Smoking is a choice... (albeit even though I know plenty of smokers its still not a bright one considering the known ill effects)

Wearing a helmet is a choice... (albeit not a bright one if you choose not to then get into a crash as a rule of thumb)

SPITTING ON SOMEONE still IS a matter of choice - however that goes to infringing on another person's rights to safe environment as that qualifies as BATTERY in the United States as you are inflicting harm upon that person - whether perceived or not - its still harm. Its denegration. Its malicious. If you are spitting on the sidewalk - fine. But on someone else - you've just violated their rights to a safe environment. Sorry... not a valid example.

Now...
    Some people may argue smoking is a similar violation...
    However --- you have a CHOICE of what establishment you visit and are a patron of. If you know some place permits smoking --- and you don't like smoke --- go elsewhere. If you like the food there and you can't get it anywhere else... do take out. Or... live with it. Its a choice.

Welcome to America - founded on freedom. Founded on choice. Founded on the premise we as a people have the right to be stupid if we choose to.

God I love playing devil's advocate!

PS ---> How the hell is this part of the Jokes & Stuff thread????

Wow, you defended it well. I agree, if you are a bar owner, you should not have the government telling you who you can and cannot serve.

One point that was missed and in response to Buellers argument is that it is in most places it is illegal to spit on people. So if you allow spitting on people in your bar then you are breaking the laws. Smoking is LEGAL. It is perfectly legal for someone to smoke anywhere unless the specific place CHOOSES not to allow it.

The laws are hypocritical. How can you make it illegal to smoke in a bar when it is totally legal? The reason they use to create the law is it is bad for others and infringes on their rights, if that is the case then you should ban cigarettes altogether. The reason government does not do ban tobacco is because it enjoys the taxes generated by tobacco. If you are using safety as a reason to make something illegal then alcohol through drunk driving kills far more people than second hand smoke, ban that. But again government wants taxes generated by alcohol so it is total hypocrisy and a total infringement on the rights of bar owners. If smoking is legal, then what right does government telling bar owners who they can and cannot serve? It is government control at its fines and a total violation of freedom. End of rant.
    "For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing....What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?"

AKA "Devaclis"

Thank you.

I quit smoking a few years ago, i dont agree with the smoking bann, i do think that sometimes things like this can be taken to far. now for all those that think they are being treated unfairly because of this bann, i think you should take a look at Palm Springs, CA. that city went crazy many years back, and passed a city wide bann on smoking in public, me and some friends got in trouble for smoking while walking down the street, and that was over ten years ago. now that is ridiculous, so all in all, i dont agree with the bann here in CO, but it could be worse. ....my three cents
    THE HIGHER...... THE FEWER

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams,
    I have spread my dreams under your feet,
    tread softly because you tread on my dreams."
    -Yeats

"HOW IS IT POSSIBLE...... I STILL HAVE SO MUCH TO LEARN ???"

At an office I worked in the non-smokers started taking a break every time the smokers would go out back they would go out front. When the boss came around and found no one in the office he went bullistic and set up break times and schedules, no exceptions. Smokers were pissed but it got productivity up and their point across.
    The older I get the faster I was!

Somewhere in the south suburbia of sprawl.

Way to pull a Viktor Von F on this thread and revive it from the dead.

Sheesh.
    ...Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Current Ride: 2005 Ducati ST3