Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The rear-brake is dangerous, and thereby useless.

The rear-brake is dangerous, and thereby useless.

Well at the end of my first full season on the streets, I've only had two serious incidents (and countless pucker moments). Neither of my serious incidents resulted in a wreck, but both involved my back brake locking up in a panic stop. The latter happened today, left lane was jammed up and some brilliant cager decided to pull his F350 into the right lane completely oblivious to my motorcycle which was doing 40ish. I did a full brake (and I have practiced these) but it seems whenever I freak out I clench the tank with my legs (pucker) and this results in my right foot pushing down way harder than I had intended. Result is I fish-tailed the rear out all the way 50 feetish to the traffic light which turned yellow as the F350 was passing through, and came to a complete stop luckily unharmed as I remembered not to let the rear brake back out once it was locked. From now on I'm not going to use the rear-brake at all anymore, it's way too easy to lock up and the stopping power it has seems minimal. My first incident was a near highside for this same exact reason and I actually flew out of my seat that time. Thoughts?

Re: The rear-brake is dangerous, and thereby useless.

You need more experience. The title of your post is an opinion not a fact. I use my rear brake all the time and can stop faster with both combined. I just know how to use it and don't lock it up, and if by chance I do, I know how to ride it out. It is a learned response.

Adjust your rear brake lever so that it is at a lower angle and thus less likely to pushed down so easily and then keep practicing your "quick stop". Increase the speed by two mph each time you come to a quick stop. Apply firm/stong front brake pressure in ONE second so that the front has a chance to preload and you don't bottom out (tipping over too much also causes your rear to become very light and very useless).

There are several good books on this. Most are available at the Tattered Cover on Colfax. Twist of the Wrist I/II-Kieth Code, Total Control-Lee Parks, and Proficient Motorcycling - David Hough.

Ride safe

I would never call myself an expert rider but...I think it is a bad idea to quit using the rear brake all together. It is said that 70% of your braking power is with the front brake but you may need the other 30% in an emergency braking situation.
    Also, using the rear brake helps keep the bike more evenly weighted from front wheel to rear. If you only hard brake on the front, an extreme amount of weight is distributed to the front and if you don't have good contact with dry pavement, you risk having the front skate out from under you.
    I last reason I think you continue use with your rear brake... to scrub speed if you come too hot into a corner. It is much easier, while in a good lean, to knock down some speed with your rear than your front brake. At least it is for me.
    I would suggest, just keep practicing and you will get the hang of it.
    Hope I have helped some D-Man

You forgot Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch.
    Tsuyoikoto ha taisetsu da ne, dakedo namida mo hitsuyousa.

I only use my back brake!!! Front brakes are for pussies!!!

Seriously though, you should adjust your back brake so when you are in a panic situation, you don't jam on it full force.
    Last edited by dallas; Thu Oct 5th, 2006 at 06:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SS929
    You forgot Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch.
    I'll have to pick that one up.

When you're cruising in the right lane, and traffic is all backed up in the left, you should expect some cager is going to jump out. You should be shocked if someone doesn't.

Expect the cage to turn left in front of you. Expect everything. Expect them to do the dumbest possible thing. Always have a way out.

Slow down. If you weren't riding so fast, you wouldn't have needed to panic, because you would have had ample time to react and brake. Watch the tires on all the cars ahead of you. The tires will signal their intentions.

On a modern sportbike the front brake provides over 90% of your braking power (courtesy Nick Ienatsch). There will be times you'll still need that other 10%.

Consider that motorcycling may not be for you. If you're having that many pucker moments something isn't right. There is nothing wrong with admitting this. The streets of a city are a brutal place to learn to ride.

Be safe and stay alive, Bro.

The back brake is pretty useless

Ask any racer... 90% dont use the rear brake... and the 10% that do are so experienced, and so fast they could come around you sideways taking a nap and not think anything of it.

The big thing that is different on the track vs the street is that you are more vertical on your front brake and dont expect to be changing directions until you are ready to release that front brake. Though street and track are a diferent place... your stopping power DOES come from the front brakes... but also on the street the combination of both will slow you down the best... you are less likely to tuck the front hard on the brakes trying to swerve if you find a good mix of both.

If this is something you find yourself doing quite often... as someone said... slow down! haha becareful and dont get hurt. Try a track day, safe condtion... learn how much front brake you can squeeze (its a lot!!! more than you think) and get a feel for your bike! Important thing is to have fun no matter what your doing... but do it safely and in control
    Jason Leleck
    MRA #399

Faster Motosports, XBAM!, Unink, Printworks, Leo Vince Exhaust, Gaerne Boots, Bridgestone, Chickenhawk Racing, Ferodo Brakes, Woodcraft-CFM

Quote Originally Posted by d3spair
    Well at the end of my first full season on the streets, I've only had two serious incidents (and countless pucker moments). Neither of my serious incidents resulted in a wreck, but both involved my back brake locking up in a panic stop. The latter happened today, left lane was jammed up and some brilliant cager decided to pull his F350 into the right lane completely oblivious to my motorcycle which was doing 40ish. I did a full brake (and I have practiced these) but it seems whenever I freak out I clench the tank with my legs (pucker) and this results in my right foot pushing down way harder than I had intended. Result is I fish-tailed the rear out all the way 50 feetish to the traffic light which turned yellow as the F350 was passing through, and came to a complete stop luckily unharmed as I remembered not to let the rear brake back out once it was locked. From now on I'm not going to use the rear-brake at all anymore, it's way too easy to lock up and the stopping power it has seems minimal. My first incident was a near highside for this same exact reason and I actually flew out of my seat that time. Thoughts?
    Sounds like your learning well I mean youve locked it up and kept control...it just takes more practice. I have a close call at least once everytime i ride, everybody does. I am always watching and evaluating like BHeth said. In heavy traffic it can be unnerving (since i am still a n00bie) and whats funny is now i am starting to beable to predict what dumb moves people are going to do and then can plan my move according.

I have yet been able to lock up my rear tire, but did it all the time in class with there bike, but i have downshifted to hard trying to slow down and it got a little hairy in the rear.
    1998 CBR600F3 "Desert Storm" - SOLD

WAS keeping the banana seat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by pilot
    I'll have to pick that one up.

"Total Control" is another great read......
    "“Don’t have good ideas if you arent willing to be responsible for them” - Alan J. Perlis"

Thanks for those tips, I have wanted to check some of those books out anyways.

And per above, I was paying attention, fully expecting someone to yank out which is why I full braked immediately as he was pulling out or I would have had no chance.

I'll look and see if it's easily adjustable, I'm hopefully selling it soon for a newer model anyways though. Thanks again.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Cut off your right foot......problem solved.....
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

true, but you would still have to buy both shoes, not just the left one....lol

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by vmax2003
    true, but you would still have to buy both shoes, not just the left one....lol
    True. But.....you could always "trim" the left foot so that right shoes would fit also. In addition to solving the "dangerous" rear brake issue, you would, in one fell swoop, cut your shoe bill in half!
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by D-Man
    ... using the rear brake helps keep the bike more evenly weighted from front wheel to rear. If you only hard brake on the front, an extreme amount of weight is distributed to the front and if you don't have good contact with dry pavement, you risk having the front skate out from under you.
    ... to scrub speed if you come too hot into a corner. It is much easier, while in a good lean, to knock down some speed with your rear than your front brake. At least it is for me.
    Great points D-Man. I don't consider myself a expert rider by any means but have been on two wheels for around 35 years and still have trouble balancing out the braking in a panic stop sometimes, especially if you ride several different bikes with differing characteristics.
    The point about scrubbing power when coming in hot via rear brake is something I've used often. Few things short of a highside as disconcerting as bottoming out the front suspension halfway through a hard turn.
    Just like the directions to get to Carnegie Hall.....Paractice, Practice, Practice.
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

I'm Ashli with an I bitches AshliRider44's Avatar
    Never Ever Land or Trackside/Pitside Helping/Cheering On #33 or in our new home!

Quote Originally Posted by Lel
    The back brake is pretty useless

Ask any racer... 90% dont use the rear brake... and the 10% that do are so experienced, and so fast they could come around you sideways taking a nap and not think anything of it.

The big thing that is different on the track vs the street is that you are more vertical on your front brake and dont expect to be changing directions until you are ready to release that front brake. Though street and track are a diferent place... your stopping power DOES come from the front brakes... but also on the street the combination of both will slow you down the best... you are less likely to tuck the front hard on the brakes trying to swerve if you find a good mix of both.

If this is something you find yourself doing quite often... as someone said... slow down! haha becareful and dont get hurt. Try a track day, safe condtion... learn how much front brake you can squeeze (its a lot!!! more than you think) and get a feel for your bike! Important thing is to have fun no matter what your doing... but do it safely and in control
    I agree with you to an extent. I used my rear brake more than the front on the street. Knowing how to dirtbike helps any rider as well, especially if you decide to race If you know how to control your bike you shouldn't have any problems. I stepped out the back wheel coming off the highway once when I hit some oil and I just rode it out; the back brake really isn't evil
    My Other Ride's a Hoopty

Watch Out for us Gene, We Will See You Again

both front and rear brakes are for pussies!!! I don't use any brakes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suki View Post
    ...i mean, sure maybe 4 inches isn't much to them, but it sure as hell is alot to me!

I only use the back brake when I slide it in sideways to my parking spot at the bar.

I dont like using my brakes either.... A good pair of Crocs will do the job.... I saw someone riding with a pair of those.....

I really hate those things......a friend of mine calls them Clown Shoes....
    "“Don’t have good ideas if you arent willing to be responsible for them” - Alan J. Perlis"

Never Ever Land or Trackside/Pitside Helping/Cheering On #33 or in our new home!

Quote Originally Posted by I`m Batman
    both front and rear brakes are for pussies!!! I don't use any brakes.
    My Other Ride's a Hoopty

Quote Originally Posted by dallas
    I only use the back brake when I slide it in sideways to my parking spot at the bar.
    I seem to recall a certain someone doing that at Fox and Hound and taking a few bikes out
    My Other Ride's a Hoopty

Quote Originally Posted by AshliRider44
    I seem to recall a certain someone doing that at Fox and Hound and taking a few bikes out
    I have an alibi, I know people who will vouch for me!!!

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GSXR_Nichi
    I dont like using my brakes either.... A good pair of Crocs will do the job.... I saw someone riding with a pair of those.....

I really hate those things......a friend of mine calls them Clown Shoes....
    They're really comfy regardless of how un-sexy they look... lol... You wouldn't catch me dead riding my bike in them tho... ....
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires